Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Auckland

Job offer in Auckland

Old May 10th 2019, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice
Default Re: Job offer in Auckland

Those are all good bits of advice, thanks BtotheR for your helpful insight into AK. I'm due to have another chat with the prospective employer next week and i think given all the advice provided from you guys so far i'm leaning towards asking about other potential job vacancies or transfer opportunities to Nelson. Emigrating with kids is so much more difficult than without. My two are now at an age where the real learning starts to kick in and whilst I'm not sold on the OFSTED system in the UK (my wife's a teacher and is quite critical of it) I do want my kids to be somewhere that they can integrate and get a good chance of an acceptable education. We have the same thing here where properties close to "good" schools are very expensive so I'm used to that.

When next speaking to new employer I'll try to get the exact location of the role and see if that helps to find a suitable area to live. I am getting the impression though that AK is very busy, the reason we moved to where we live now was to get away from that (i grew up in London) so don't want to end up back in that environment again.

Whilst we've been looking at emigrating we haven't really considered AK which is why we feel a little in the dark with it since the job offer came up.I think ultimately we need to stay focused on what our basic wants and needs are, it's a long way to go with kids and a lot of money so want to be as sure as possible that it's the right move to make.

Never heard the term 'tramping' before, has slightly different connotations over here!
Old May 11th 2019, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a Keighley man the weather is defo better than west yorkshire lol, i commute to Auckland from the flagstaff end of Hamilton everyday (motorbike) takes me an hour and 10 mins. The expressway is being built...slowly and we have the much fabled and promised train line comin up...slowly
Old May 11th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Well done Keighley, I've never heard of anyone making that trip every day. I guess the motor bike helps. Yes at least in AK you don't get constant drizzle but when it rains it chucks it down.
Old May 11th 2019, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
Well done Keighley, I've never heard of anyone making that trip every day. I guess the motor bike helps. Yes at least in AK you don't get constant drizzle but when it rains it chucks it down.
i dont mind it, its a good ride just have to have your wits about you..Akl drivers are the worst lol.
Old May 11th 2019, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

You're right about the drivers. I got too scared to drive so gave up the car cos where I live the bus service is ok.
Old May 11th 2019, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
i commute to Auckland from the flagstaff end of Hamilton everyday (motorbike)
I used to do Cambridge to Hampden downs every day. I could never do the return journey in one go. Had to stop at Gordonton for a coffee or I'd fall asleep at the wheel. I guess the bike helps
Old May 11th 2019, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
I used to do Cambridge to Hampden downs every day. I could never do the return journey in one go. Had to stop at Gordonton for a coffee or I'd fall asleep at the wheel. I guess the bike helps
yep 360 degree air conditioning and the constant fear of being taken out definitely sharpen focus
Old May 11th 2019, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Looks like we have to find the longest commute. It will be into AK cos the housing is so b---dy expensive.
Old May 11th 2019, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
Looks like we have to find the longest commute. It will be into AK cos the housing is so b---dy expensive.
yep your not wrong there. We rent hoping to buy next year but christ knows if we will be able to afford it
Old May 11th 2019, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved up to Tauranga I used to do the Hamilton commute on the bike during summer/autumn.
107kM each way and a great ride over the Kaimai's but man it wasn't much fun in the wet, regular fog and often so cold going through Te Poi and Hinuera early morning me teeth were chattering

Old May 11th 2019, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse

yep your not wrong there. We rent hoping to buy next year but christ knows if we will be able to afford it
When I left whangaparoa 6 years ago there was a lovely house for sale with sea views for 675k. Today that same house is listed at an affordable 625k. Maybe prices are finally going the right way.
Old May 11th 2019, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

When I left whangaparoa 6 years ago there was a lovely house for sale with sea views for 675k. Today that same house is listed at an affordable 625k. Maybe prices are finally going the right way.
theres hope then lol
Old May 11th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Think a lot of Whangaparoa is recognised as leaky homes as built in that era - prob why still so cheap. Plus really to call it Auckland is like saying you live in Manchester when you live in Huddersfield.
Old May 12th 2019, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BtotheR
Think a lot of Whangaparoa is recognised as leaky homes as built in that era - prob why still so cheap. Plus really to call it Auckland is like saying you live in Manchester when you live in Huddersfield.
I believe Gulf Harbour had a few leaky properties, perhaps not as many as people made out. I worked in more leaky homes in Albany than on the peninsula, but mud sticks and it put many off.
I wouldn't say it was any less an area of Auckland than Otara or Manukau. It's 20 mins to Browns Bay, 30 to Takapuna and under 40 to the CBD, but it is the distance from all the hustle and bustle that makes it what it is

Last edited by Justcol; May 12th 2019 at 6:21 am.
Old May 12th 2019, 10:56 am
Pim
Just Joined

Pim will become famous soon enoughPim will become famous soon enough

I live in Gulf Harbour and have lived in the same house for 14 years -it is not a leaky building!
Do your homework, know what to look for in a leaky building - no eaves, type of build.
there are some very nice houses here.
The public transport is good if you want to get to the city but rubbish for anywhere else.
The gulf harbour ferry to the CBD is good and costs $330 for a monthly pass
There are lots of beaches here and nice walks - shame about Whangaparaoa Road - congested!!!!
NZ are not great at town planning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.