British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Job offer! Advice re moving please :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/job-offer-advice-re-moving-please-936318/)

lmp98 Jan 6th 2021 7:25 am

Re: Job offer! Advice re moving please :)

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 12954466)
Dining table/chairs plus a bed for a grand is pushing it? Beds are one of the random items I find really expensive. Dining table be best part of a grand with a queen bed anywhere from 2-10k?

Blimet! Looks like shipping is the way forward then.

Bo-Jangles Jan 6th 2021 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 12954466)
Dining table/chairs plus a bed for a grand is pushing it? Beds are one of the random items I find really expensive. Dining table be best part of a grand with a queen bed anywhere from 2-10k?

I agree, the cost of decent beds and matresses came as a big shock to me. I am out of touch with shipping costs but expect you could ship the entire contents of your house for not much more than the price of a new bed here.

No doubt you can shop around and find cheaper but have a look at Farmers for an idea of costs of basic household items.

lmp98 Jan 6th 2021 1:23 pm

Thank you :)
I’ll have a look at shipping companies - if anyone has any particukar recommendations/ones to avoid that would be much appreciated.

hope your New Years are cheerier than over here... thank goodness I’ve got this to plan and look forward to to keep my mind off things (when I’m not working)!

Bermondsey George Mar 21st 2021 9:31 pm

If you really MUST live in Invercargill .......... then Otatara is about the best suburb to actually live in my opinion.
Two nice eateries there - Ziff's and the Cabbage Tree plus Oreti Beach (Burt Munro) but bring some warm clothing.
If you really have to go there for a specific job offer then good luck with your starter for ten but I doubt you will stay there - it really is how Mick Jagger accurately described it :eek:

lmp98 Mar 21st 2021 9:52 pm

Thanks George, someone else recommended Otatara too so will try to find a place there :)
The job is in Invercargill so we’re tied to it and we know it’s not the most amazing of places, but we’re going to use it as a base for exploring Fiordland - and we’re not fussed about towns anyway so fingers crossed it’ll be okay...🤞

Bermondsey George Mar 21st 2021 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by lmp98 (Post 12986187)
Thanks George, someone else recommended Otatara too so will try to find a place there :)
The job is in Invercargill so we’re tied to it and we know it’s not the most amazing of places, but we’re going to use it as a base for exploring Fiordland - and we’re not fussed about towns anyway so fingers crossed it’ll be okay...🤞

Its not all bad. Riverton (a small seaside town) is also quite nice but is about half an hour drive out of Invers (as the locals call it).
The other good thing is that in Invers everything is within easy reach being such a compact town. The locals call it a city but you probably wouldn't.
The Catlin's are pretty but for truly stunning scenery head towards Manapouri .......... you will get there in under 2 hours from Invercargill.

Best of luck with your exciting new adventures.

lmp98 Mar 21st 2021 11:01 pm

Thanks George, all very useful info and nice to have some positive vibes too! :) We’re going with an open mind a fairly low expectations after everyone’s comments, so hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised!!!
You seem to know the area well so if you have any more tips for places to eat or things to do they’ll be gratefully received :)

Bermondsey George Mar 22nd 2021 1:46 am

Originally Posted by lmp98 (Post 12986215)
Thanks George, all very useful info and nice to have some positive vibes too! :) We’re going with an open mind a fairly low expectations after everyone’s comments, so hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised!!!
You seem to know the area well so if you have any more tips for places to eat or things to do they’ll be gratefully received :)

If you like Indian food you are in luck. The Bombay Palace is the best Indian restaurant I have visited in NZ by a country mile (and I have been in a few) .
Another good couple of restaurants are Buster Crabb and The Rocks ......... (try their Sicilian Fishbowl).
You will almost certainly notice that Invercargill also has some interestingly named (and not very PC) food outlets such as the Black Shag Cafe and Fat Bastard Pies - all true.

lmp98 Mar 26th 2021 7:21 am

Fantastic I love curry!
Thanks for the tips :)

Pinksar Apr 12th 2021 10:10 pm

We moved from Hampshire and used Pickfords - they were awesome - whereabouts in Hampshire are you. When are you moving?

Pinksar Apr 12th 2021 10:21 pm

Sorry - pressed post too quickly! Also - lots of people love the deep South, so don't be put off by what other people say - make your own judgement. We were told where we were moving to in North Canterbury was a bit out of the way and too long a commute to Chch, etc. etc. we ignored it and we LOVE it here! We came from a busy part of Hampshire, but we love the peace, space and tranquility!

Definitely ship your gear - we left so much behind and really regretted it when we got here - some stuff can be super expensive, especially if you need it straight away and you have already had huge expenses moving! Interestingly, I am also trying to get a piece of furniture out here from the UK (it belonged to my late father so has huge sentimental value) and am in the process of getting quotes etc. If you have space in your container for a small 1940's bureau/writing desk, let me know haha!