Reload this Page >

Job offer accepted :) - Few questions please guys

Job offer accepted :) - Few questions please guys

Old May 22nd 2016, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

jaemorris55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer accepted :) - Few questions please guys

Hi everyone

I'm Jamie, 26 year old male Currently living in Gloucestershire, England.

Just accepted a job offer in NZ, I have an element of control when it comes to timescale, so looking at around 6-10 months to get all set here and ready to fly out. My research in ongoing but I do have a few questions for you guys. I have a friend who lives in Auckland and is providing some help with advice but it's good to get a collective opinion from people may be going/gone through similar experience.

Location - I am a 26 year old single male moving out by myself and looking for a vibrant city lifestyle so have chosen Auckland as a base, certainly initially anyway. I'm aware of the Auckland costs involved and believe I have a significant starting salary to accommodate. The company will provide me with 3 months accommodation when I arrive and then i'll look for a apartment/house share to keep costs down and for the social aspects. I've been advised to look in the following areas.

-Ponsonby
-New Market
-Parnell
-Remuera

How does this sound?

Shipping vs Purchasing Currently in a fully furnished property in England so besides clothing I really only have my electronic belongings (Computer, Ipad, Projector, TV) to worry about. As part of my relocation the company will give me $5000 for shipping or to purchase new things when I arrive.

Initially my plan was to sell my bulky electrical and purchase them again once I arrive. Does anyone for see any issues with that? (I'm aware furniture is more expensive in NZ but based on the little electrical I have?)

Any additional tips and advice would be highly appreciated folks.

Thanks guy!

Jamie
Old May 23rd 2016, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer accepted :) - Few questions please guys

Regarding where to live, I'd recommend Ponsonby off your list and also the suburbs next to it (Grey Lynn, Freemans Bay). Westmere and Pt Chevalier are also good, just slightly further from the CBD. All these areas have a young professional and slightly arty/creative vibe, a bit students in places but not in a bad way. Parnell and Remuera are fine but always struck me as a bit more posh/old money than Ponsonby and surrounding areas.
Newmarket is also fine but lots of apartments instead of old villas (so not as much character but a lot warmer in winter). Also has the advantage of being on the train line to the CBD.
Mt Eden is also an area with some nice cafés, bars etc in the village bit. But not as many as Ponsonby.
I moved here in my late 20s and lived in Mt Eden then Ponsonby, lots of nights out in Ponsonby and always plenty of house shares etc around there.
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on what sounds like a decent package. Any of those suburbs you mention are within a short drstance to the city, pubs and restaurants etc. I agree with the previous poster re his descriptions. In a nutshell, as I perceive it, Ponsonby is a lot of young, trendy socialites living in old houses. Ponsonby Rd is renowned as a bit of a social avenue. Remuera is rich old folk living in young or renovated houses. Parnell similar but add in some antique and art dealers. Welcome and hope you enjoy Auckland.
Old May 23rd 2016, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaemorris55
Hi everyone

I'm Jamie, 26 year old male Currently living in Gloucestershire, England.

Just accepted a job offer in NZ, I have an element of control when it comes to timescale, so looking at around 6-10 months to get all set here and ready to fly out. My research in ongoing but I do have a few questions for you guys. I have a friend who lives in Auckland and is providing some help with advice but it's good to get a collective opinion from people may be going/gone through similar experience.

Location - I am a 26 year old single male moving out by myself and looking for a vibrant city lifestyle so have chosen Auckland as a base, certainly initially anyway. I'm aware of the Auckland costs involved and believe I have a significant starting salary to accommodate. The company will provide me with 3 months accommodation when I arrive and then i'll look for a apartment/house share to keep costs down and for the social aspects. I've been advised to look in the following areas.

-Ponsonby
-New Market
-Parnell
-Remuera

How does this sound?

Shipping vs Purchasing Currently in a fully furnished property in England so besides clothing I really only have my electronic belongings (Computer, Ipad, Projector, TV) to worry about. As part of my relocation the company will give me $5000 for shipping or to purchase new things when I arrive.

Initially my plan was to sell my bulky electrical and purchase them again once I arrive. Does anyone for see any issues with that? (I'm aware furniture is more expensive in NZ but based on the little electrical I have?)

Any additional tips and advice would be highly appreciated folks.

Thanks guy!

Jamie
Will leave others with experience of living in or around Auckland to point you in the right direction with areas.

Shipping v Buying here for you I'd say without a doubt....buy here.
There's some awesome TV deals here plus for other electronics. Sales are all the time and also I'm starting to go against previous advice on costs of furnishings etc.
We're currently shopping to furnish a new build house as we've decided we're gonna replace all the furniture we brought over from the UK and we've been pleasantly surprised at the unusually decent costs for replacement quality furniture. There is so much choice here than before and really competitive pricing. We have the benefit of having the in-laws over at the moment and even they agree the furniture we've been looking at is very competitive compared to UK prices. We are shopping in the sales so the goods are affordable but there are sales on all the time. Only yesterday we bought a new 2 and 3 seater lounge suite and a new 60" Panasonic TV. Normal retail price for all should have been $7900. We paid $4400!!! Decided to spend the same money on quality goods in a sale than purchase not so quality goods in a lower end store.
If you are prepared to spend some time looking round all the stores the bargains are definitely out there.
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your on a more than excellent salary if yourlooking at those suburbs, I don't think you could choose anywhere more expensive.
Old May 23rd 2016, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Escapedtonz, that's a great help. I'll sell my stuff here and use the company allowance to replace it when I'm there!

Gareth/rush and push.
Thank you both for sharing your views, it's a great help! Ponsonby definitely sounds suitable in terms of the right lifestyle! I'll continue to look at house share prices there and in some of those surrounding areas as mentioned! Many thanks

Justcol, I've done a bit of research, particularly on a room share. Are there other suburbs you think are worth considering with a similar lifestyle but considerably cheaper?

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by jaemorris55; May 23rd 2016 at 7:41 pm.
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding cheaper suburbs to live - I think it works out the same over time. By this I mean, you'll probably pay $200-250 a week for a room in a house share somewhere like Ponsonby but you'll be able to walk home from nights out on Ponsonby Road or a $10 taxi fare home from the city. In suburbs further out you may pay $150-$175 ish for a room but will be spending $40/50/60/70 every time you get a taxi home at night. Plus the commute is much shorter from the inner suburbs like Ponsonby (assuming you are working in the CBD? I shouldn't assume that really)
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Regarding cheaper suburbs to live - I think it works out the same over time. By this I mean, you'll probably pay $200-250 a week for a room in a house share somewhere like Ponsonby but you'll be able to walk home from nights out on Ponsonby Road or a $10 taxi fare home from the city. In suburbs further out you may pay $150-$175 ish for a room but will be spending $40/50/60/70 every time you get a taxi home at night. Plus the commute is much shorter from the inner suburbs like Ponsonby (assuming you are working in the CBD? I shouldn't assume that really)
I actually share this philosophy and applied it here in the UK when comparing cost of living/location in Gloucestershire (rent vs taxi prices etc etc) so I can totally relate to what you are saying in terms of the bigger picture costs.

I've seen a few house shares in Ponsonby for around the $300 region which I make out to be around the equivalent to £600per month? That would be affordable in the right location with suitable lifestyle.

Anything more to consider Rush?
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

$300 a week, eek, I was paying $130 a week when I was there but it was 10 years ago...I'm assuming you're looking on the flatmates wanted bit on TradeMe?
Search Results

Kingsland is another suburb you might look at, in between Mt Eden and Ponsonby, Eden Park is there if you're into going to the rugby/cricket. It has a main road with reasonable number of bars, cafés etc. Quite a young population, a bit arty/studenty in parts.
Old May 24th 2016, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Hey Rush,

I was actually browsing on 'http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/' for room shares but having had a quick look at TradeMe, it has returned more results and some better prices so a BIG thank you for that. I'm confident I can get myself somewhere to live furnished for less than $300. I will also take a look at Kingsland.

Any other little tips for one to consider?
Old May 24th 2016, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaemorris55
Hey Rush,

I was actually browsing on 'http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/' for room shares but having had a quick look at TradeMe, it has returned more results and some better prices so a BIG thank you for that. I'm confident I can get myself somewhere to live furnished for less than $300. I will also take a look at Kingsland.

Any other little tips for one to consider?
Trade Me is a good one to know about, it's one of NZ's biggest sites. Everything is in there - new stuff, old stuff, property, rentals, cars, jobs etc.

I can't think of anymore tips at the moment but if you have anymore questions fire away. Of all the suburbs mentioned Ponsonby + surrounds would be my pick, it has the most going on and is very close to the CBD.