Job Offer

Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:18 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Job Offer

I am looking for some advice:

I have been offered a good job in an Auckland district by a large building company, I have everything in writing from them. I am a Quantity Surveyor for your information.

The question I have is that they obviously want me over asap, I have intimated a start the end of Jan begining of Feb 06, I have been told to go for a work visa in the meantime for speed and then go for residency once I am there.

Has anyone any suggestions or experience of this?

Thanks
Andy
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job Offer

Hi Andy

My husband has also just been offered a job in Auckland and we are being put through on a talent visa by the company (which is an accredited company), which speeds things up considerably. If they want you by Feb 06 it sounds like you maybe going through on the same kind of visa. If so my understanding is that PR can be attained much more quickly, within 2 years as opposed to 5yrs.(forgive me if I'm wrong its all still quite new to us to) but I think that's correct. Check it out with the company, they should be able to confirm things for you.

We have been really surprised at the speed things have moved. Chris had 2 interviews via telephone and was offered both positions. One company wanted him to start Feb 06 but the one we have accepted has been much more flexible about a start date, as we have not yet sold our house.

Where abouts in Auckland will you be working?

Congratulations on the job offer by the way.

Lots of mad planning ahead... :scared:

Cheers

Michelle
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:16 am
livewire

We came over on a Talent Visa too, it lasts for 30 months and you can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) after 2 years.

However, the biggest draw back with this type of visa is that it does rather tie you into working for your employer. In theory you can leave and work for another accredited employer and just get the visa updated, but we had to get NZIS in Wellington to over-rule the local NZIS who said we couldn't do this. We got it sorted in the end.

Once you're here it's a good idea to apply for PR straight away - the selection point is still standing at 100. To do this submit an online Expression of Interest well before your medicals and police checks run out. (otherwise you'll have to have them done again)

After you have been approved for PR you can wait up to 6 months before you have to pay the migrant levy (which I think may be refundable if you return home within a certain time)

With PR you are a free agent and can work wherever you want, it also gives you a greater sense of security and access to benefits if eligible.

Last edited by livewire; Nov 15th 2005 at 1:19 am.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:13 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livewire
We came over on a Talent Visa too, it lasts for 30 months and you can apply for Permanent Residence (PR) after 2 years.

However, the biggest draw back with this type of visa is that it does rather tie you into working for your employer. In theory you can leave and work for another accredited employer and just get the visa updated, but we had to get NZIS in Wellington to over-rule the local NZIS who said we couldn't do this. We got it sorted in the end.

Once you're here it's a good idea to apply for PR straight away - the selection point is still standing at 100. To do this submit an online Expression of Interest well before your medicals and police checks run out. (otherwise you'll have to have them done again)

After you have been approved for PR you can wait up to 6 months before you have to pay the migrant levy (which I think may be refundable if you return home within a certain time)

With PR you are a free agent and can work wherever you want, it also gives you a greater sense of security and access to benefits if eligible.
This is my intention, I will be applying for a working visa initially, however as this is going thru I will submit my EOI and get meds and police reports done to take with us and apply as soon as we get there.

Thanks for your help, oh my job offer is in Ellerslie and I will be moving to St Helliers/ Mission Bay area as I believe there are a couple of good schools out that way.

Anyway I am sending for my work visa today.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by theduke
I am looking for some advice:

I have been offered a good job in an Auckland district by a large building company, I have everything in writing from them. I am a Quantity Surveyor for your information.

The question I have is that they obviously want me over asap, I have intimated a start the end of Jan begining of Feb 06, I have been told to go for a work visa in the meantime for speed and then go for residency once I am there.

Has anyone any suggestions or experience of this?

Thanks
Andy
That is exactly what I did...got a job offer, applied for a talent visa, got to NZ, immediatly put in PR application (even though if you choose to you can wait the two years on your talent visa and get PR that way), got PR and now waiting for citizenship.