Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job interveiw over the phone

Job interveiw over the phone

Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

gingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the rough
Default Job interveiw over the phone

Hi all,

I am guessing a lot of the forum regulars have been in this similar situation so here goes.
The wife is a nurse and the main applicant on our visa application. Our ITA application has been received at the London Branch and we belief we have met the criteria and supplied all the documents required.

To test the water for my career prospects in NZ I have sent of my CV for a job in CHCH. They replied and now want a phone interview with the General Manager, HR and myself.

When I applied for the job I did mention to the wife that IF we were already settled in NZ 'the job would be mine' as it is almost identical to my own current occupation / job description.

So my queries are as follows;
How long will a NZ employer wait for the right candidate to arrive in NZ and take up a position? Can I be cheeky and ask for relocation costs / flight fees?
Will my prospective employer contact NZ Immigration to see how my case is progressing?
Has any one experienced a 3 way phone chat and what involvement will HR have?

Lots of questions I know but if anyone who has settled in NZ and been through any thing similar please drop us a line.
Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:44 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job interveiw over the phone

hi ya

not sure but i was informed that it could be done over the internet where you can see people and have a 3 way conversation so like being in an interview but your situation could be different. as far as waiting you need to check that one out i am sorry,

but good luck with the interview.

jo

Originally Posted by gingerdingo
Hi all,

I am guessing a lot of the forum regulars have been in this similar situation so here goes.
The wife is a nurse and the main applicant on our visa application. Our ITA application has been received at the London Branch and we belief we have met the criteria and supplied all the documents required.

To test the water for my career prospects in NZ I have sent of my CV for a job in CHCH. They replied and now want a phone interview with the General Manager, HR and myself.

When I applied for the job I did mention to the wife that IF we were already settled in NZ 'the job would be mine' as it is almost identical to my own current occupation / job description.

How long will a NZ employer wait for the right candidate to arrive in NZ and take up a position? Can I be cheeky and ask for relocation costs / flight fees?
Will my prospective employer contact NZ Immigration to see how my case is progressing?

Lots of questions I know but if anyone who has settled in NZ and been through any thing similar please drop us a line.
Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I guess all the answers will differ with different employers but this is how it went for me...

I got my job in March '10 and didn't actually start until 30th August '10. My employer was happy to wait up to 6 months and even then that was negotiable.
I asked for relocation and received a reasonable package. Only thing to look out for is any clauses in your contract regarding paying all or part of it back if you leave that employer within a set length of time.

I wouldn't think so, mine certainly didn't. Its pretty muc up to you to ensure that side of it is all sorted before you take up the position.

My interview was a 3 way telephone interview with my manager and HR. Basically the manager asked 'job related' questions and gave role specific info and HR gave info on things like hours, annual leave, medicals and general employee responsibility type stuff.

Hope that helps and good luck
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

gingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the help, I will try and push for an extended start date. I think its alot better to arrive early to take up the post instead of arriving late and having to renegotiate.
Cheers
Nick
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

When I was interviewed for my job I was interviewed by 4 people, including the HR Manager, Head of HR, and an Acting HR Manager and a General Manager, well I was applying for a job in HR

I started off having a Skype interview when that stopped working we had a telephone interview. It’s an odd experience but I was glad I had been able to see the people first. My advice is dress as if you are going to a face to face interview. You are being interviewed and not having a chat with your mates. I put back on my work clothes, done hair put my make up on etc, just as if I was actually in their office.

I was offered the job on 10 Feb and started of 11 May, so a little wait, but you know some companies who bring in expats get that the visa process and sorting out your life can take longer than a week!!

My boss was excellent and I kept her in formed every step of the way, even if I had nothing to say I would drop her quick email, I felt it was the polite thing to do.

The whole process has cost about 9k, I was very fortunate that my company paid for our flights. There is a fees calculator on the NZ imm website that might help.

Now that I am working in HR in the NZ, I know that we don’t check on your visa application, its part of the offer of employment that you have to have all that sorted before you start.

HR people are humans to and mostly very nice, so if I can help out please let me know

J x
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Good luck with the interview, its a different experience but approach it the same as you would a face to face. In terms of timescales not all employers will wait, I saw 2 jobs come up that were of interest but the employers were not prepared to wait 2-3 months for me to arrive and I am a NZ citizen, another was prepared to wait to do a final interview as soon as I landed in the country. Only the employer can advise you on what they are prepared to do.

In terms of relocation packages, again it will depend on role, whether it is shortage, how much you are worth to the employer and your reasons for request. If you are making a conscious decision to move downunder to a non shortage role or hard to recruit location for example, why would you expect an employer pay relocation costs - it may not always be the best start to an employment relationship? Another thing to consider is that the costs might be recovered by a lower salary so effectively you are paying it back at the same time as being tied into a contract... you may notice that salaries are not generally advertised and as such colleagues can be on different salaries...
Old Jun 29th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=DandJMay;9463254]Hi

I started off having a Skype interview when that stopped working we had a telephone interview. It’s an odd experience but I was glad I had been able to see the people first. My advice is dress as if you are going to a face to face interview. You are being interviewed and not having a chat with your mates. I put back on my work clothes, done hair put my make up on etc, just as if I was actually in their office.

How much make up do you suggest I put on!!

Cross Dressing is so much fun

Nick
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandJMay
My advice is dress as if you are going to a face to face interview. You are being interviewed and not having a chat with your mates. I put back on my work clothes, done hair put my make up on etc, just as if I was actually in their office.
I had my telephone interview in my PJ's curled up under my duvet in bed!
It was 11pm at night though and I decided whatever made me most relaxed was the best way to go...go for whatever works for you though!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:10 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

OH had a phone interview. He did it with a glass of brandy in his hand, and they gave him the job - well what else would you expect of psych nurses??

I have a vague memory of him doing one in his dressing gown too ...... though that one might have been with immigration!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I did one of mine with a whole load of notes around me on obstetric emergencies, fetal heart monitoring etc. Didn't get asked a 'proper' midwifery question but did get asked the most bizarre question of my career,

"When did you last delight a patient?" WTF, how the hell do you answer that!! Did feel like saying that when I have ladies pushing I give them my best song & dance routine of "Everything's coming up roses."

I was dressed for comfort but sober. I got the job.

The second one I did a few years later was just supposed to be a chat. I had just drunk half a bottle of NZ Sav Blanc whilst watching England v All Blacks on the TV. So I was feeling very mellow . I got that job too, even though I wasn't sure I even wanted it!!!

Good luck with it. Smiling whilst talking on the phone does make a difference to your voice.