British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Job Hunting from UK or in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/job-hunting-uk-nz-923113/)

jemetpl Mar 11th 2019 1:28 pm

Job Hunting from UK or in NZ

I am just starting to look for a job in NZ with a view to moving from August onwards. I had a Skype call with a recruitment company yesterday and they suggested that I would be more likely to succeed by spending a couple of months in NZ as a tourist looking and interviewing. My skills are transferrable (I'm a qualified accountant) and I'm probably looking at a mid range role (head of finance to finance business partner) rather than a Finance Director level post.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this sort of job search and whether it's possible to succeed just searching from the UK or whether there is a much better change if I'm in NZ.

Also to clarify that I wouldn't have a problem in taking a couple of months off to do this and so it's really just about the relative likelihood of success.

Moses2013 Mar 11th 2019 2:15 pm

Re: Job Hunting from UK or in NZ

Originally Posted by jemetpl (Post 12651445)
I am just starting to look for a job in NZ with a view to moving from August onwards. I had a Skype call with a recruitment company yesterday and they suggested that I would be more likely to succeed by spending a couple of months in NZ as a tourist looking and interviewing. My skills are transferrable (I'm a qualified accountant) and I'm probably looking at a mid range role (head of finance to finance business partner) rather than a Finance Director level post.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this sort of job search and whether it's possible to succeed just searching from the UK or whether there is a much better change if I'm in NZ.

Also to clarify that I wouldn't have a problem in taking a couple of months off to do this and so it's really just about the relative likelihood of success.

Funny that a recruitment agency uses Skype and then says you have to be physically present. Not in NZ myself now but anyone I know in Europe who applied for a skilled job in Australia, New Zealand US or Europe recently, didn't have to be physically present. Of course you have to look at the requirements (visa etc.) but I don't see the point going there with no real job offers. Especially with LinkedIn, it's very easy to forward your CV and speak to potential employers without spending thousands for travel and accommodation costs. I'm based in Ireland and even people who apply from Germany would not be expected to be here.

escapedtonz Mar 11th 2019 6:21 pm

Accountant (General) is classed as a skilled occupation by Immigration NZ, however it is only listed on the ISSL (Immediate Skill Shortage List) for Auckland/Upper North Island, Wellington, Canterbury/Upper South Island regions. If you were offered a job by an NZ employer in one of these regions then you could apply for an Essential Skills Visa, which is a type of Temporary Work Visa, but may not necessarily lead to Residency. The occupation does not appear on the LTSSL so you would not gain Absolute Skill Shortage bonus points in terms of an EOI for Skilled Migrant Resident Visa or secure this visa with a job offer in that field.
It is not mandatory to be in the country to land a job here, but in my experiences it does help. Many agencies/employers/recruiters overlook overseas candidates as they have no right to live and work in NZ until they have a job offer and they aren't too fussed about getting in to the complications of Immigration and overseas candidate visas etc. Since those overseas candidates only exist on a piece of paper or an electronic document, they are easy to overlook, however when you are here in person it shows you are committed to working here and serious about the move. NZ employers like that and they may be more keen to employ you if you show some initiative.
You may also have to be registered and/or licensed in NZ before you could work in that field so that is also something you must research and overcome or at least show you are heading in that direction if required.
Check this out :-
Accountant (General) Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

janiejones Mar 12th 2019 8:59 am

Which institute are you qualified with? I'm CIMA qualified.

Justcol Mar 12th 2019 9:21 am

Not sure you are legally allowed to seek employment while on a tourist visa

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 12th 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12652018)
Not sure you are legally allowed to seek employment while on a tourist visa

I believe it's okay to look for a job on a tourist visa these days. It wasn't 12+ years ago but NZIS have relaxed it's rules on such things. If a person obtains a job offer then they need to apply for the appropriate visa. So as long as they don't start to work before being granted a work visa, then it's all as sweet as !

Moses2013 Mar 12th 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12652073)
I believe it's okay to look for a job on a tourist visa these days. It wasn't 12+ years ago but NZIS have relaxed it's rules on such things. If a person obtains a job offer then they need to apply for the appropriate visa. So as long as they don't start to work before being granted a work visa, then it's all as sweet as !

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...look-for-a-job

While I’m in New Zealand as a visitor can I look for a job?

When your visa was granted, it was on the basis of you visiting New Zealand. You can't work on a visitor visa, but you can look for work.

Apply for a work visa

We call your intentions your bona fides. While you can look for work or attend a job interview in New Zealand on a visitor's visa, your primary purpose must be to visit.

You can't work on a visitor visa and you’ll need to apply for a work visa before you can start work.

pjemetta Mar 12th 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by janiejones (Post 12652008)
Which institute are you qualified with? I'm CIMA qualified.

I'm with the ICAEW.

pjemetta Mar 12th 2019 11:27 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to speak to my immigration advisor as well.

If I do go out, it would only be with the intention of finding work and at least starting the logistical process of finding somewhere to live. I would return to the UK to arrange my move and come out again when the visa process is completed.