British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Job hunting in Auckland - where to live (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/job-hunting-auckland-where-live-849215/)

joshbay84 Dec 20th 2014 3:12 am

Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

I am planning to visit New Zealand some time by March 2015. It looks like most of the software firms are in the CBD area.

What would be the best option for job hunting - will it be advisable to live away from CBD/Auckland and commute into the city to find job or is it better to pay the extra bucks and stay near CBD (I assume car is not required if you live in and around CBD)?

How much would apartment/hotel in CBD area cost ? Can one live near CBD with $4000/month?

Joshua

barnsleymat Dec 20th 2014 4:52 am

Re: Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

You'll be able to live wherever you want with that budget.

If I had to work in the city I'd choose between:

1. A house in Devenport and jump on the ferry each day for the short trip across the harbour

2. Close to the beach in Takapuna with a short journey over the bridge every morning.

3. A flashy high rise apartment right in the city centre.

All easily done for a grand a week, that's a huge budget by anyone's standards.

desmondo84 Dec 20th 2014 5:52 am

4000/mth just for rent or including all your costs?

Bo-Jangles Dec 20th 2014 6:59 am

Originally Posted by joshbay84 (Post 11508384)
How much would apartment/hotel in CBD area cost ? Can one live near CBD with $4000/month?

Joshua

If you're just coming for a job hunting trip then probably best to base yourself in CBD.

Daily rates for short term apartment / hotel rental is $150 to $200 per night. e.g. Accommodation Auckland | Quest Auckland Serviced Apartments |Auckland Accommodation New Zealand

You can manage short term in CBD without a car but will of course need some transport if you want to get out and explore a bit further.

Assuming you are talking of having $4000 total available per month for all living expenses, this will not go far if you're paying $500pw for rent. Check out places and prices here:

Auckland properties for rent on Trade Me Property

joshbay84 Dec 20th 2014 1:44 pm

Thank you all for reply. Yes - I meant $4000 for all expenses - food, rent etc. In US, if we book hotel for more than 30 days - we get reasonable discounts(and get taxes back in some cases). Any policy like that in New Zealand? Because, I think renting in CBD = renting outside + car rental cost.

Bo-Jangles Dec 20th 2014 7:13 pm

Problem is short term / holiday lets outside of CBD are fewer and far between. Mostly motels which would be one small room with minimal facilities on a busy road, likely to do you head in for 30 days.

You could look further out to places like Orewa which is more of a holiday town with Nautilus apartment place , caravan parks and such like - from where you would be able to get to CBD in 45 mins or so outside of peak times.

e.g.
Orewa Beach holiday homes, accommodation rentals, baches and vacation homes for rent in NZ. Book a beach house or bach. Page 1

Chocoholics Dec 21st 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11508465)
If you're just coming for a job hunting trip then probably best to base yourself in CBD.

Daily rates for short term apartment / hotel rental is $150 to $200 per night. e.g. Accommodation Auckland | Quest Auckland Serviced Apartments |Auckland Accommodation New Zealand

You can manage short term in CBD without a car but will of course need some transport if you want to get out and explore a bit further.

I agree. We did exactly this when we first came to NZ and it worked really well for us. Good luck whatever you decide. :fingerscrossed:

bearskin Dec 22nd 2014 6:28 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11508422)
If I had to work in the city I'd choose between:

1. A house in Devenport and jump on the ferry each day for the short trip across the harbour

2. Close to the beach in Takapuna with a short journey over the bridge every morning.

3. A flashy high rise apartment right in the city centre.

I'd basically agree with 1) and 3). Don't really see the appeal of Takapuna though. For 1) I like the area more over at Narrow Neck and Cheltenham Beach is of course fab. For 3) I would go for the yuppy flats in the Viaduct myself.

Can I ask if anyone lives on boats in Auckland?

Justcol Dec 23rd 2014 10:34 am

orewa is miles away and a pain in the butt to get into the cbd
takapuna same but not as long a commute
Devonport better, 5 min walk to ferry then 10 min ferry tip to cbd

Parnell Dec 23rd 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11511194)
orewa is miles away and a pain in the butt to get into the cbd
takapuna same but not as long a commute
Devonport better, 5 min walk to ferry then 10 min ferry tip to cbd

Heard the bus lane on bridge means only a 20 minute commute to britomart

bearskin Dec 24th 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11511787)
Heard the bus lane on bridge means only a 20 minute commute to britomart

There's a bus lane on the bridge? The Harbour bridge?

Parnell Dec 24th 2014 8:53 am

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11512081)
There's a bus lane on the bridge? The Harbour bridge?

Leading up to it apparently. They say once your on the bridge it's relatively quick. The biggest delay is the approach and entering the motorway.
Note this is what I have heard from 3 different people.