Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job application - Advice

Job application - Advice

Old Oct 8th 2019, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Kieutrang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job application - Advice

I have applied for a job as a Corrections Officer. NZ Corrections are doing a recruitment drive in the UK with all assessment's and interviews done in the UK. If I am a successful I will have 12 months to sort my stuff out, visa etc. I have chosen Mount Edin.

Ive searched flat shares and it seems reasonably priced. I guess I'm a bit afraid of moving but I don't have much holding me back. Financially would 10,000 NZD be enough for me to travel over with and get me settled? The wage is $50-55000 dollars a year. Say 200 p/w flat share. Is the rest left over enough to live on in Auckland? Clothes, food, bills, eating out.

I also heard after you get perm residency you can work in Australia?
Old Oct 10th 2019, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job application - Advice

Originally Posted by Kieutrang
I have applied for a job as a Corrections Officer. NZ Corrections are doing a recruitment drive in the UK with all assessment's and interviews done in the UK. If I am a successful I will have 12 months to sort my stuff out, visa etc. I have chosen Mount Edin.

Ive searched flat shares and it seems reasonably priced. I guess I'm a bit afraid of moving but I don't have much holding me back. Financially would 10,000 NZD be enough for me to travel over with and get me settled? The wage is $50-55000 dollars a year. Say 200 p/w flat share. Is the rest left over enough to live on in Auckland? Clothes, food, bills, eating out.

I also heard after you get perm residency you can work in Australia?
Yeah NZ Corrections have been doing UK recruitment drives for at least a couple years.
Assuming the NZ $10k is just for you then yeah it'll be enough to travel over with. How long it lasts depends on what you'd spend it on.
Do some research on the salary offered as it may not be enough to get you a permanent class of visa. It may only allow you a temporary work visa for up to several years without the right to stay any longer. Immigration introduced salary thresholds a few years ago so check out all the latest rules so you are aware of any limitations.
If you are budgeting $200 for a room per week and it is just you then you'll be fine on that salary in Auckland.

No you cannot live and work in Australia by just holding NZ Permanent Residency. To do this you MUST have NZ Citizenship which takes minimum 5 years from the date you hold a permanent class of visa in NZ.

​​
Old Oct 10th 2019, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job application - Advice

Mount Eden is probably the worst prison in NZ.
My friend works there and was seriously assaulted last week. I'm a corrections officer and I wouldn't work there.
If you're single and house sharing you could make it work in Auckland, but don't expect to have any savings unless you live very frugally.
To work in OZ you need NZ citizenship, not PR. To qualify for citizenship you need to have had PRf 5 years.