Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job application - Advice

Job application - Advice

Old Sep 21st 2016, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all
Default Job application - Advice

I have applied for a job as a Corrections Officer. NZ Corrections are doing a recruitment drive in the UK with all assessment's and interviews done in the UK. If I am a successful I will have 12 months to sort my stuff out, visa etc. I have chosen Mount Edin.

Ive searched flat shares and it seems reasonably priced. I guess I'm a bit afraid of moving but I don't have much holding me back. Financially would 10,000 NZD be enough for me to travel over with and get me settled? The wage is $50-55000 dollars a year. Say 200 p/w flat share. Is the rest left over enough to live on in Auckland? Clothes, food, bills, eating out.

I also heard after you get perm residency you can work in Australia?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 11:52 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job application - Advice

Originally Posted by Shirrom
I think that is restricted to citizens, not PR's...
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you would be better going over via UK to OZ than NZ. NZlanders have no rights , no offer of social help despite contributing to the economy.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 13th 2016 at 8:42 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I have applied for a job as a Corrections Officer. NZ Corrections are doing a recruitment drive in the UK with all assessment's and interviews done in the UK. If I am a successful I will have 12 months to sort my stuff out, visa etc. I have chosen Mount Edin.

Ive searched flat shares and it seems reasonably priced. I guess I'm a bit afraid of moving but I don't have much holding me back. Financially would 10,000 NZD be enough for me to travel over with and get me settled? The wage is $50-55000 dollars a year. Say 200 p/w flat share. Is the rest left over enough to live on in Auckland? Clothes, food, bills, eating out.

Ah you mean Mt. Eden, Auckland.
To go live and work in Australia you have to be an NZ Citizen and to get citizenship you must have held a permanent class visa and have been resident in NZ for at least 5 years.
As a corrections officer I'm sure it's similar to the police in that you must at least have a Resident Visa to allow you to work in that industry so a temporary work visa isn't an option for you. With a job offer included in the points on the EOI for a Resident Visa via the Skilled Migrant Category you should just about have enough time for processing assuming your application is problem free.
As for initial funds it all depends what you need to spend when you first arrive? If you are sharing a flat will you still have to pay a bond and advance rent - usually when renting you need to pay out 6 x weekly rent up front when signing a contract with 4 x weekly rent being the bond so that's a grand gone. Have you already paid for flights or does that have to come out of the $10k? Do you need a car ? Are you shipping anything over ?
If you only paying $200 a week rent and single you'll be fine living in Auckland.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
you would be better going over via UK to OZ than NZ. NZlanders have no rights in NZ, no offer of social help despite contributing to the economy.

OZ corrections don't accept international application for the job.

Once I'm in NZ, how long until I'm classified as a perm resident? I figured I'm only 27 and don't wanna loose out in this opportunity. Been thinking about NZ for years and have the opportunity.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Ah you mean Mt. Eden, Auckland.
To go live and work in Australia you have to be an NZ Citizen and to get citizenship you must have held a permanent class visa and have been resident in NZ for at least 5 years.
As a corrections officer I'm sure it's similar to the police in that you must at least have a Resident Visa to allow you to work in that industry so a temporary work visa isn't an option for you. With a job offer included in the points on the EOI for a Resident Visa via the Skilled Migrant Category you should just about have enough time for processing assuming your application is problem free.
As for initial funds it all depends what you need to spend when you first arrive? If you are sharing a flat will you still have to pay a bond and advance rent - usually when renting you need to pay out 6 x weekly rent up front when signing a contract with 4 x weekly rent being the bond so that's a grand gone. Have you already paid for flights or does that have to come out of the $10k? Do you need a car ? Are you shipping anything over ?
If you only paying $200 a week rent and single you'll be fine living in Auckland.
I wont be shipping anything over apart from my laptop and flight cost will be handled separate. I might need a car however I plan on living near the facility I will be working at. High probability I will need a car though to get about.

How much is the skilled migrant visa? I found different prices online.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 7:43 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you would go under the skilled migrant visa.

visa fee - 1697 GBP this includes the migrant levy this gives you a 2yr visa with travel conditions.
after two years if you have met the criteria you then apply for the travel conditions to be removed , that costs 105GBP
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

After 2 years I am considered perm resident?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Effectively, then you have to have been here 5yrs before you can apply for citizenship (roughly).

Its all clear on the NZ Immigration website.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Only after you have applied for the PR visa and it has been approved by Immigration. You can stay on the RV permanently but you will have travel issues if you leave and want to come back around or after 2 years from activating the visa. Time on RV still counts towards citizenship. To avoid any travel issues, normally one would apply for PR after holding RV for 2 years as that removes any travel condition issues moving forward. You cannot apply for PR any earlier than the 2 years and you still have to meet one of five criteria in order to be eligible.

There is no requirement that a person from the UK with at least 2 years experience needs to be a Permanent Resident or Citizen of NZ in order to get a corrections job in NZ. The rules must have been relaxed due to the current drive to employ people from the UK and AUS.
It used to be a requirement in the past and it is still there for overseas people from anywhere other than the UK or AUS, meaning they have to have at least 4 years experience in a corrections job and have to be either a PR holder or an NZ citizen.

Corrections Department NZ - Corrections officer
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How much is the skilled migrant visa? I found different prices online.
If you gain the job offer, you will go under a WTR visa AFAIK.
Two years to be resident without travel restrictions.
Five years to become an NZ citizen.

Been thinking about NZ for years and have the opportunity.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:26 am

On a WTR visa it will take you 7 years to get to Citizenship.

As a NZ Citizen you are not entitled to any benefits in OZ and nor are any offspring even if they are born there.
As I say better to get to Oz from UK