Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Jacinda Adern Resigns

Jacinda Adern Resigns

Old Jan 27th 2023, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jacinda Adern Resigns

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Just be thankful Cindy wasn't an idiot.

The UK had "It's just flu", "Let the bodies pile high", and the PM holding drunken parties whilst everyone was trying to do the right thing and avoiding seeing dying relatives for the greater good.

Herd immunity was a rallying cry.
Then it turns out that you can catch Covid several times.

Looking from the outside, you seem to have absolutely no idea how incredibly lucky you were.
The problems the UK and NZ faced were very different, and boris's antics had little to no effect on anything except public moral
Old Jan 30th 2023, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Jacinda Ardern was saved by the first Corona virus outbreak, before that she was behind in the polls in early 2020 and on to lose that year's elections. Yes, she managed the Christchurch mosque massacre well with compassion, and the original corona virus outbreak and first lockdown, though let's not kid ourselves there was significant amount of luck involved too. We weren't the first country to lockdown, and much of that success was our isolation from the rest of the world. Australia managed the same success in the autumn 2020 lockdowns with less severe restrictions.

However few other achievements, the rest of the CV19 management saw a significant amount of resting on the laurels and isolation from the world, and a CV19 vaccination program that was far from 'world leading', and the reason the Auckland's (& much of much of Waikato) Delta lockdown in Aug 2021 was far from 'short n sharp'. The daily podium of truth sessions from the Wellington crowd had certainly lost the room, a long time before things finally opened up.

Nationals madness with infighting, and badly managed campaigning, and the medias unquestioning of Ardern and Labour, had handed Jacinda a massive majority in 2020 election. However the performance in late 2021 and attitude since with policies, it was only going to go one way.

Overall not too many other successes, and quiet divisive. I guess Ardern didn't see a path to victory at this year's election, the smoothness of the handover suggests some definite underhand dealing with Robertson and Hipkins over the summer break.
Hipkins seems to have honeymoon bounce in the polls today, time will tell, but it would be a surprise to see it last, it's unlikely the unpopular policies are likely to change, given he's been a key component in making them. Robertson seems to be reading the tea leaves, deciding not to go for the Leaders job, and then the further decision of going for a list seat at the next election, so in the event of a defeat he can quietly slip away without causing a by election (of which seems to be little comment on Ardern leaving Mount Albert without an MP for 6 months from April). At least Labour seem to be managing the transition better, as National still have Brownlee and Collins in the high ranks.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I am so sorry you are feeling that way, have you spoken to your GP of how your feeling they have to refer you for help, talking to friends and family will also help.
Thanks brits1. I went much further downhill after my post. In desperation I contacted Crisis last month. I am finally under the care of the acute mental health team, though it will be a long journey. GP seemed to resent that I'd got in touch with them and they hadn't let her know. I found that rather odd because she's always been good in the past.
Sadly I can't talk to family about it because my eldest brother is broken since he lost his wife, my other brother is a narcissistic prick and my dad is nearly 89.
I've had a few friends to talk to here and there but they live busy lives and/or live a way away. The person who I thought was my best friend here, has turned out not to be. That has made me feel very sad and hurt.

Sorry to offload.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
I don't know if she still posts on here but there was a member that went through MIQ as well on here and was stuck in on one of the worst hotels you can imagine for about 3 days before being fortunate to move on. I think she posts under Vitalstatistix or something similar. If she's still on here, send her a PM as I'm sure she'll be one to talk. She was so fortunate she was able to find a new one, given my ceo couldn't when he was stuck in the Ibis Rotorua for 2 weeks.

If it's anything by the way, you have my full appreciation for going through that to keep us safe. Just as I have a lot of appreciation for the Aucklanders on here that went through 4 ot 5 lockdowns more than what I did down in the South Island.
Thanks Tom, sorry I'm only just replying but I have been at my lowest point. I have a confession to make, I left the site as Vitalstatistix last year or the year before. I thought it would help my mental health because things didn't feel the same here anymore. However, then I missed the folk from here and sometimes being able to post anonymously is cathartic. Sorry for misleading folk. I felt like I needed a fresh start.
So, I'm back as one of my favourite desserts!
Hope you're keeping well.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
Thanks Tom, sorry I'm only just replying but I have been at my lowest point. I have a confession to make, I left the site as Vitalstatistix last year or the year before. I thought it would help my mental health because things didn't feel the same here anymore. However, then I missed the folk from here and sometimes being able to post anonymously is cathartic. Sorry for misleading folk. I felt like I needed a fresh start.
Glad to see you're back 😊
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Glad to see you're back 😊
Thank you
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

No worries, don't ever think you need to rush and reply on here considering what you're going through. Your health etc is far more important than posting on a forum.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 2nd 2023 at 5:45 am. Reason: PM’s need to remain private please - rule 6.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom H
Hey

No worries, don't ever think you need to rush and reply on here considering what you're going through. Your health etc is far more important than posting on a forum.
Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 2nd 2023 at 7:22 am. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Good choice

I've wondered a few times where you were.
Welcome back pet
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
Good choice

I've wondered a few times where you were.
Welcome back pet
Cheers mi duck.