Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I've just found out I'm pregnant - can we still emigrate?

I've just found out I'm pregnant - can we still emigrate?

Old May 4th 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

macslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nice
Default I've just found out I'm pregnant - can we still emigrate?

Were planning on emigrating to Nz through my husbands company on a talent visa (24 months minimum) arriving about September. I've literally found out I'm pregnant (4th child - bit unplanned -eek!). Baby would be due about mid- late November. Can we still come and have the baby in Nz? The medical health standards on the immigration website are a but vague?
Old May 4th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've just found out I'm pregnant - can we still emigrate?

I'm speculating but I would advise you to speak to your case officer if you have got that far. If not started yet, then just include the fact you are pregnant in your application. It's probably a case of 'the more the merrier' given the number of Kiwis who leave NZ.

Also bear in mind travel restrictions in late pregnancy - it might be easier to have the baby in UK and then come.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:50 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you'll find that it won't be an issue - in fact the baby will probably be the first one to have both a british and nz passport as apposed to residency status!!
Old May 4th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macslass
Were planning on emigrating to Nz through my husbands company on a talent visa (24 months minimum) arriving about September. I've literally found out I'm pregnant (4th child - bit unplanned -eek!). Baby would be due about mid- late November. Can we still come and have the baby in Nz? The medical health standards on the immigration website are a but vague?
Firstly congratulation on your news

Secondly 4th child ....... buy a telly ........... LOL

I managed to dig this up on http://www.how2immigrate.net/nznews/...uirements.html but would pay to contact NZIS direct

"Changes to New Zealand Immigration Health Requirements

From 4 April 2005, we’re introducing a number of changes to the health requirements for people coming to New Zealand.

What will change?

From 4 April 2005 there will be a new acceptable standard of health

The way we define an acceptable standard of health will change for both people intending to come to New Zealand as residents and for those coming on a temporary basis.

Residence applications

For residence applications, you will be considered to have an acceptable standard of health if you are:

unlikely to be a danger to public health, and
unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand’s health services and/or education services, and
able to undertake the functions for which you were granted entry.

Temporary entry applications

For temporary entry applications, you will be considered to have an acceptable standard of health if you are:

unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
unlikely to require hospitalisation or residential care during your period of stay in New Zealand
unlikely to require ORRS funding through the education system

If you’re making a temporary entry application you may still be allowed into New Zealand if you have a condition that would be expensive to treat or you have a chronic illness, as long as you’re unlikely to require hospital treatment while here. For example, we may allow a tourist with HIV/AIDS to come to New Zealand as long as they bring sufficient medication with them.

Work to Residence, Long Term Business Visa applicants and workers intending to be in New Zealand for more than two years will be assessed against the acceptable standard of health for residence, because they are eligible for publicly funded health services.

There will be different medical forms to fill in depending on when you lodge your application

There is one medical certificate form to fill in for applications lodged before 4 April 2005 and a different one for applications lodged on or after 4 April 2005. Because your medical certificate must be less than three months old when you lodge your application it is important you use the right form.

You will need to supply medical certificates for family members that aren’t coming with you to New Zealand

If you are applying for residence, you must supply medical certificates for your partner and all your dependent children. You still need to supply these medical certificates if you or your partner don’t have custody of the children.

If you intend to be in New Zealand for more than a year, you will have to provide a medical certificate

In the past, we required a medical certificate for temporary entrants who intended to stay in New Zealand for more than two years. This time limit has now decreased to one year and it includes time in New Zealand as a result of the renewal of a permit.

For example, if you are in New Zealand on a nine-month permit and you apply for another six-month permit, you will be required to provide a medical certificate when you lodge your application for the six-month permit.

The age requirement for X-ray testing will be lowered

Chest X-rays will be required for everyone 11 years of age and over. Pregnant women don’t need to undergo this test.

If you’re a temporary entrant, you may have to submit medical certificates when you apply for further permits or visas

If your medical certificates are more than two years old when you apply for another temporary visa or permit, you will have to submit new ones.

We’re only allowing medical waivers for certain application types

If you don’t have an acceptable standard of health, your application will be declined unless we grant you a medical waiver. We will only consider a medical waiver if all other requirements for approval of your application have been met, and your application is under one of the following categories:

Family Sponsored Categories for Residence – Partnership Policy; Parent Policy; Sibling/Adult Child Policy; Dependent Child Policy, Family Quota, and Refugee Family Quota

Residence Policy for Victims of Domestic Violence
Temporary Entry – Seconded Business Personnel
Partners of New Zealand citizens and residents – temporary entrants

Medical waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis.

A decision on your application may be deferred in some cases so you can get medical treatment.

Medical conditions for which a waiver can’t be granted for residence

You won’t be given a waiver if you have any of these medical conditions:

severe haemophilia
medical conditions requiring renal dialysis
active tuberculosis (TB) – however, a decision on your application may be deferred until treatment is received.

Medical conditions which will not meet the acceptable standard of health criteria for residence

If you have any of these medical conditions, you will be considered NOT to have an acceptable standard of health for residence and will not meet our health requirements. This means that entry will not be approved unless you are eligible to be considered for, and are granted, a medical waiver.

There are other medical conditions not listed which may mean you won’t be able to meet our health requirements, and these will be considered on a case by case basis."

Fingers crossed for you

Cheers
Alan
Old May 5th 2011, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes you can. No problem there. Just let NZ Immigration know about this.

You will need to think about your baby's forthcoming citizenship (s)
Please have a read of this old thread regarding citizenship . Particularly JAJ's concise post.
Old May 5th 2011, 1:15 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Macslass speaking from experience as I have had 3 babies born in NZ.If you have not got residency you would have to pay for all your maternity care and hospital care.Your baby would not automatically get citizenship if born in NZ as this changed in 2006/2007 the only way your baby would be a citizen of NZ would be if you and your husband/partner were residents.Where abouts in NZ are you moving too?,as I know a great midwife from the UK.Let me know if you need anymore info.
Old May 5th 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

macslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nice

Originally Posted by fayemd
Hi Macslass speaking from experience as I have had 3 babies born in NZ.If you have not got residency you would have to pay for all your maternity care and hospital care.Your baby would not automatically get citizenship if born in NZ as this changed in 2006/2007 the only way your baby would be a citizen of NZ would be if you and your husband/partner were residents.Where abouts in NZ are you moving too?,as I know a great midwife from the UK.Let me know if you need anymore info.
Thanks everyone - ESP the long posting Alan. Faye - were thinking Auckland. Do you know how much it costs to dash into hospital for a couple of hours to pop a sprog? Sadly husband thinks it's all too much - thinks I mad thinking moving to Nz with 4 kids under 6 and no family help but the reality is we have none here and are living in a 2 bed flat in central Edinburgh . At least we'd be able to rent a 4 bed house for the same amount. Anyone moved with lots of toddlers and no help? Am I being unrealistic?
Old May 5th 2011, 10:32 pm
`

Anyone moved with lots of toddlers and no help? Am I being unrealistic?
Actually. I think that's worth a new thread/topic of it's own macslass maybe entitled the imaginative - Anyone moved with toddlers - How did you cope?

That way the new one would attract those with toddlers and kids . It would also hopefully be a place to stick all the info about what people have done with regard to support and child care etc. & leave this one free about giving birth in NZ.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:34 pm
`

Originally Posted by fayemd
If you have not got residency you would have to pay for all your maternity care and hospital care..
What would be the approx costs $$$
Old May 5th 2011, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly congratulations Maclass. How very exciting to have all this happen at once

Just been doing a bit of ferreting around to see if I can find anything that would help you. Have a look at this http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...ices-maternity.

I was particularly interested in the eligibility criteria which states;

Work visa holder able to stay in New Zealand for 24 consecutive months (time spent lawfully in New zealand immediately before the start of the work visa counts towards the two year requirement).

This seems to say that you would be eligible for free maternity care unless I'm reading it incorrectly (I'm feeling very blonde this morning).

My advice would be to have a read of this & then contact the Ministry of Health yourself & get confirmation either way & if not, they should be able to give you a costing of maternity care in NZ.

HTH
Old May 6th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Actually. I think that's worth a new thread/topic of it's own macslass maybe entitled the imaginative - Anyone moved with toddlers - How did you cope?

That way the new one would attract those with toddlers and kids . It would also hopefully be a place to stick all the info about what people have done with regard to support and child care etc. & leave this one free about giving birth in NZ.
Bevs - will start a new thread for this one as u suggest. Got scan yesterday - bit shocked - 4th boy!!! And they could tell as I'm 16 weeks-honestly thought I'd just eaten too many Easter eggs. So for me and husband we've kind of decided it's got to be uk birth as due 24th October and we'd been planning on coming sept. I think is good as he's now giving some consideration to seeing if a january move would be possible.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:09 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone - ESP the long posting Alan. Faye - were thinking Auckland. Do you know how much it costs to dash into hospital for a couple of hours to pop a sprog? Sadly husband thinks it's all too much - thinks I mad thinking moving to Nz with 4 kids under 6 and no family help but the reality is we have none here and are living in a 2 bed flat in central Edinburgh . At least we'd be able to rent a 4 bed house for the same amount. Anyone moved with lots of toddlers and no help? Am I being unrealistic?
Hi Macslass you will love NZ if you are not close to your family and have lots of money as NZ is a very expensive place to live.I am in the middle of selling my house at the moment in Auckland and heading back to the UK after 8years in NZ as 1.I miss my family.2.I miss having Europe on my doorstep.3.I have 3 kids under 6 and I miss having my family around.4.My husbands wages have not went up in the 8yrs we have been here they have went down and yet food,petrol,rates,electricity have just kept going up and up.5.Food and clothes are soo expensive and tend to be crap quality.I don't mean to be negative as everybody's experiences are different but make sure you look into everything before you make the jump as NZ is not the clean,green 100% pure NZ country that they portray.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs - will start a new thread for this one as u suggest. Got scan yesterday - bit shocked - 4th boy!!! And they could tell as I'm 16 weeks-honestly thought I'd just eaten too many Easter eggs. So for me and husband we've kind of decided it's got to be uk birth as due 24th October and we'd been planning on coming sept. I think is good as he's now giving some consideration to seeing if a january move would be possible.
Well that has sorted that then . TBH, I thought you would be better off giving birth in the UK than having all the stress of getting sorted out here. Immigrating is stressful enough without adding a birth to the mix. Given the circumstances I can't see why postponing until January would cause any significant problems.
Old May 6th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you move out of central Edinburgh for more space with cheaper rent?