British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I've been in a car accident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ive-been-car-accident-437691/)

Littletoe Mar 26th 2007 9:29 pm

I've been in a car accident

I wrote off our new car yesterday. I was on my way off the motorway, and looked down at a map on the passenger seat to make sure I was on the right road (I know I'm an idiot) and I just looked up to see myself go head on into a stopped car. My toddler was in the car, but she was fine, really good actually, thanks to paying for a great car seat. But the car is ruined and I've fractured my sternum and have bruised rips. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance and stayed as focused as I could for my daughter. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I discharged myself from hospital because I want to be at home with my family. I'm really bruised and sore and sad. I'd got a quote for car insurance, but hadn't completed it yet, so the car was uninsured. I'm still a bit out of it from morphine yesteday and I guess shock. The ambulance guys told me if I wasn't wearing a seat belt, I wouldn't have made it. Thank god I remembered to buckle up.

Anyway, I'm going to go and lie down, not a great start. I was so happy, everything was falling into place.

brussels_sprout Mar 26th 2007 9:33 pm

Re: I've been in a car accident

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4564668)
I wrote off our new car yesterday. I was on my way off the motorway, and looked down at a map on the passenger seat to make sure I was on the right road (I know I'm an idiot) and I just looked up to see myself go head on into a stopped car. My toddler was in the car, but she was fine, really good actually, thanks to paying for a great car seat. But the car is ruined and I've fractured my sternum and have bruised rips. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance and stayed as focused as I could for my daughter. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I discharged myself from hospital because I want to be at home with my family. I'm really bruised and sore and sad. I'd got a quote for car insurance, but hadn't completed it yet, so the car was uninsured. I'm still a bit out of it from morphine yesteday and I guess shock. The ambulance guys told me if I wasn't wearing a seat belt, I wouldn't have made it. Thank god I remembered to buckle up.

Anyway, I'm going to go and lie down, not a great start. I was so happy, everything was falling into place.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about that, not a great start to life in NZ !

Lexylou Mar 26th 2007 9:35 pm

sorry to hear that. Hope that you are ok and your babe is not too shaken from seeing her/his mummy being hurt.
Hope that you get better soon.

Maz Mar 26th 2007 9:36 pm

Oh no! :( :( :( I'm so sorry Nikki! I'm so very relieved that you were wearing your seatbelt and that your little one is OK as well. Did the airbags deploy? I know it's hard to do so, but just try to remember it's only money... cars can be replaced. You and your little one cannot. Please rest up and get all the medical help you need!

Beachcombers Mar 26th 2007 9:48 pm

Nikki, I am so very happy that both of you managed to escape serious injury. We wish you a speedy recovery . For sure you are feeling a bit freaked out, but just remember sh*t happens here, just like everywhere else.

Heaps of karma sent your way! Hope you are back on your feet soon!

kwprwn Mar 26th 2007 9:57 pm

Oh Nicki

You poor thing, I hope you and the little one are all ok, and that you recover quickly

Rest up now and make sure you look after yourself and the baby

sent you some karma (if it lets me)

*hugs*

RobClubley Mar 26th 2007 9:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident - look after yourselves

P18PPS Mar 26th 2007 9:59 pm

From all the Phipps family, we wish you a speedy recovery, so glad to hear that nobody is seriously hurt. We live in Auckland so if you need someone to talk to or help in anyway please drop me a PM.
Sam

Leighlou Mar 26th 2007 10:05 pm

:ohmy: This is dreadful news! You've been so happy and enjoying your new life - don't let this ruin it - as Maz said, it's only money, the important thing is you are both safe. Hope you are back on your feet soon. (((big hugs)))). Leighlou.

Campbells Mar 26th 2007 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4564668)

I am really sorry to hear of your accident and glad to hear your wee one was not hurt. We wish you a speedy recovery.

pixi-dust Mar 26th 2007 10:27 pm

oh thats so terrible, but just so glad you and the wee one are ok.
That's what's important. :cake: I couldnt find a cuddle smiley or flowers or anything so hopefully you like cake.

Batty Mar 26th 2007 10:33 pm

{{Littletoe}} so sorry to hear this. Having been in a few accidents myself I know how distressing it is. I'm really glad you and your little one are ok.

southerner Mar 26th 2007 11:38 pm

All the best from me too, for a speedy recovery. Glad you're relatively unscathed.:)

mands Mar 26th 2007 11:43 pm

I hope you make a speedy recovery and not too sore for long.:wub:

donnaf Mar 27th 2007 1:36 am

Nikki we're so sorry to hear this. Maz is right the most important thing is that you and your little girl are both OK. Put it down to (a terrible) experience and move on - in years to come it will be a family legend "remember when mum..." and believe it or not you will laugh about it one day, it probably just doesn't feel like it right now.
Loads (heaps!) of get well karma to you both,
Donna and Danny
xx