British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   It's the simple things in life! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-simple-things-life-816363/)

kingacat Nov 28th 2013 5:01 am

It's the simple things in life!

There are lots of things that I like about living in NZ but two of my favourite are:
The fuel stations where the nice member of staff fills my car for me.
The fact that now I drive along the beach during my working day rather than driving in inner city Southampton.

I'm easily pleased!

kiwigeordie Nov 28th 2013 9:54 am

Re: It's the simple things in life!

I liked the fact that, within six months of arriving in NZ, I could walk the main street of the capital city and half a dozen passers-by would say "G'day, Pete." Try that in London or any UK city:D

oceane01 Nov 28th 2013 11:00 am

:goodpost:

Originally Posted by kiwigeordie (Post 11011741)
I liked the fact that, within six months of arriving in NZ, I could walk the main street of the capital city and half a dozen passers-by would say "G'day, Pete." Try that in London or any UK city:D

BEVS Nov 28th 2013 6:35 pm

I like that I virtually never lock the car and sometimes not the house either.

Stormer999 Nov 28th 2013 6:50 pm

The weekly wash dries outside all year, no need for an expensive drier. :)

jmh Nov 28th 2013 8:10 pm

I like looking at the stars and searching for the Southern Cross.

Pom_Chch Nov 28th 2013 8:37 pm

Agree! My favourites would have to be driving through Christchurch on a sunny winters day and seeing snow capped mountains glistening in the distance with bright blue sky. Oh, and having a BBQ for dinner almost every evening and it's not even proper summer yet! And the sunshine, love the sunshine (I am starting to get a tan) :lol:

Persephone Nov 28th 2013 8:56 pm

Used to love seeing Ruapehu in the distance when I drove to work when we lived in Palmy.
The Southern Alps as seen from the streets of Chch:)

Persephone Nov 28th 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kiwigeordie (Post 11011741)

I lived in Croydon before moving to NZ. I always walked to work and passed the same people every day, many would smile and nod in recognition or say hello after a while.
Some of those had seen me out and about with my dog and he was always a conversation starter:wub:, but not all had.
Pete, the above may be true in central London but not where I lived:)

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 28th 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kingacat (Post 11011444)
There are lots of things that I like about living in NZ but two of my favourite are:
The fuel stations where the nice member of staff fills my car for me.
The fact that now I drive along the beach during my working day rather than driving in inner city Southampton.

I'm easily pleased!

Funnily enough that's one of my pet hates. I'd rather do it myself!

Looking at the night sky & seeing the Milky Way is my favourite.

Stormer999 Nov 28th 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11012518)
Agree! My favourites would have to be driving through Christchurch on a sunny winters day and seeing snow capped mountains glistening in the distance with bright blue sky. Oh, and having a BBQ for dinner almost every evening and it's not even proper summer yet! And the sunshine, love the sunshine (I am starting to get a tan) :lol:

Put the BBQ outside the kitchen door, put a sail over to keep dry, or cool, and cook all meat there all year round....magic :thumbup::thumbup: tates so much moister...;) Man stands cooking meat (perhaps with the odd beer:blink:) wife indoors prepares the green bits..:D
Also saves cleaning the oven!

kiwigeordie Nov 28th 2013 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11012545)
I lived in Croydon before moving to NZ. I always walked to work and passed the same people every day, many would smile and nod in recognition or say hello after a while.
Some of those had seen me out and about with my dog and he was always a conversation starter:wub:, but not all had.
Pete, the above may be true in central London but not where I lived:)

You're right. Even though it gave me a good feeling, it's a rubbish post and I'm wrong as usual. Better delete it.

Pom_Chch Nov 28th 2013 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11012572)
Put the BBQ outside the kitchen door, put a sail over to keep dry, or cool, and cook all meat there all year round....magic :thumbup::thumbup: tates so much moister...;) Man stands cooking meat (perhaps with the odd beer:blink:) wife indoors prepares the green bits..:D
Also saves cleaning the oven!

:thumbsup:

That's the plan for when we buy a place! There are plans in place for an outdoor pizza oven, a mobile bar and a purpose built "house" for the barbie :D

Mmmmm steak....

Stormer999 Nov 28th 2013 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11012586)
:thumbsup:

That's the plan for when we buy a place! There are plans in place for an outdoor pizza oven, a mobile bar and a purpose built "house" for the barbie :D

Mmmmm steak....

Style.....:thumbup:

Stormer999 Nov 28th 2013 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by kiwigeordie (Post 11012585)
You're right. Even though it gave me a good feeling, it's a rubbish post and I'm wrong as usual. Better delete it.

You are nor allowed to say uncouraging things about "there"....go stand in the corner.:D