Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's the simple things in life!

It's the simple things in life!

Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's the simple things in life!

Originally Posted by Stormer999
You are nor allowed to say uncouraging things about "there"....go stand in the corner.
I hang my head in shame I'm a bit scratchy this morning - had some irritating news.

I thought we were talking about what we found likeable about moving to NZ, not Croydon.
I also wonder how many of the nodding and smiling dog walkers in Croydon knew Persephone's first name.

Let me know when my 'time out' has finished
Pete
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Time out is up!
I find my wee suburb in Essex/london border friendly enough but prob due to school run (dog walking may do the same!)
However having lived in walthamstow for a few years- I never knew my neighbours or anyone in the vicinity. Will be interesting to see how NZ pans out as our house is a bit city fringe again. Maybe I should get a dog- think my kids might be a bit too old for'walking'!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing where I lived in the UK with where I live here, in the UK they nod at you because they know you, here they say hello when you pass them in the street even though you are a complete stranger.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

The space, space, and more space, not only geographically but also in my head. Because it's a more laid back life we live here I have found the space to finally do the things I've always wanted to do, like writing, and I'm loving it. I also find joy in going into the local shops and actually chatting with people who work there, not just a passing hello, but an actual chat. It took me quite some time to get used to this but now I really enjoy it. Christmas is no longer the round of queues and frayed tempers and 'have to gets' but a pop into the local mall where there is always a place to park and people are pleasant when they take my money. I think that overall NZ still has something we lost in the UK, time and space to be friendly. It ain't always so, but it's still here in big quantities.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:55 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsinnz
The space, space, and more space, not only geographically but also in my head. Because it's a more laid back life we live here I have found the space to finally do the things I've always wanted to do, like writing, and I'm loving it. I also find joy in going into the local shops and actually chatting with people who work there, not just a passing hello, but an actual chat. It took me quite some time to get used to this but now I really enjoy it. Christmas is no longer the round of queues and frayed tempers and 'have to gets' but a pop into the local mall where there is always a place to park and people are pleasant when they take my money. I think that overall NZ still has something we lost in the UK, time and space to be friendly. It ain't always so, but it's still here in big quantities.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:56 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Funnily enough that's one of my pet hates. I'd rather do it myself!

Looking at the night sky & seeing the Milky Way is my favourite.
Agree on both counts i.e. prefer to put the fuel in the car myself, to the point that I avoid petrol stations with forecourt attendants. The milky way constellation in Jan/Feb in NZ on a clear night is a sight to behold.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 29th 2013 at 12:00 am. Reason: clarity
Old Nov 29th 2013, 12:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Used to love seeing Ruapehu in the distance when I drove to work when we lived in Palmy.
The Southern Alps as seen from the streets of Chch
I used to see Ruapehu regularly when driving to Feilding from Wanganui. On a very clear day I could see Mt Egmont/Mt Taranaki in the rear view mirror and Ruapehu to my left.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I'm looking forward to a promised star-filled clear sky, a glass of wine (NZ) in one hand, some nibbles in the other relaxing until the late hours of the day. A babbling brook over some rocks would really be a bonus.