British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Its raining, its pouring....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-raining-its-pouring-461329/)

Nisey Jun 26th 2007 8:02 am

Its raining, its pouring.......

Karma to anyone on this forum who is currently knee (or more) deep in water following all the rain.

It must be wimbledon this week, someone up there really doesn't like Tennis and they certainly don't like Glastonbury. Moral of the story, don't book a BBQ party for the same weekend.

My boss had an 8 hour journey on the train coming down to London from Leeds yesterday.

I know the news hypes things up, but it really looked awful this morning, people being airlifted, the dam about to burst its banks and so on.

Someone build an ark

donnaf Jun 26th 2007 8:05 am

Re: Its raining, its pouring.......

I know it's winter here but last week there was a thunderstorm and the wind was blowing the rain uphill - bizarre!
However for once the tv didn't go blank due to "rain fade"

KIRSTIE Jun 26th 2007 8:15 am

hi nisey

my mum lives east of hull, and where she is there was a couple of feet of water and the firemen were pumping water from the main street, (lucky where her house is was not where the flood water was) the little town was cut off for a while but they seem ok this morning, we have been really lucky here in northumberland, quite a lot of rain but luckily it was light, and has not caused any damage.

i feel sorry for the people who have lost possessions due to flooding and having to mop it all out, and sort out their houses etc, and for the family of the man who died when his foot got stuck in a drain and they could not free him and he died of hypothermia

fingers crossed better weather will be on the way

with regards

kirstie

P2L Jun 26th 2007 8:42 am

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE (Post 4969936)
hi nisey

my mum lives east of hull, and where she is there was a couple of feet of water and the firemen were pumping water from the main street, (lucky where her house is was not where the flood water was) the little town was cut off for a while but they seem ok this morning, we have been really lucky here in northumberland, quite a lot of rain but luckily it was light, and has not caused any damage.

i feel sorry for the people who have lost possessions due to flooding and having to mop it all out, and sort out their houses etc, and for the family of the man who died when his foot got stuck in a drain and they could not free him and he died of hypothermia

with regards

kirstie

I can't believe how much rain they're copping in the UK at the moment,and, that story of the man getting stuck is just heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine how devestating it must have been for all those invloved in trying to save him.

Mind you, God's Own has taken a bit of a battering from Mother Nature this last week in more than one area. There's a place in North Otago where the sea has washed away something like 5 metres of land in around 6 weeks. :eek:

Nisey Jun 26th 2007 8:53 am

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking to myself 'is it just us girls that are concerned,

and then I found this and realised the blokes have got better things to do when there's a river burst it banks nearby

:thumbsup:

just sam Jun 26th 2007 9:02 am

hi, you see them messing around in the water spashing and having fun ..... all i can think of is there is sewage in that. yuk:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Nisey Jun 26th 2007 9:07 am

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE (Post 4969936)

kirstie

jeez I hope so, we are having our leaving do BBQ this weekend, there can't be any more rain left in the heavens, keep everything crossed.

we havn't been able to cut the grass or weed for two weeks because its been so wet, I will have to draw the curtains and pretend we don't have a back garden.

:ohmy: