British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Its raining cats and dogs here!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-raining-cats-dogs-here-403678/)

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 10:56 pm

Its raining cats and dogs here!!

OK, is this typical bank holiday weather??... I think I must be back in the UK!! :D

Looking on the bright side.... at least our water tanks are getting filled up! :D

lardyl Oct 22nd 2006 10:59 pm

Re: Its raining cats and dogs here!!

Originally Posted by SarahB
OK, is this typical bank holiday weather??... I think I must be back in the UK!! :D
Looking on the bright side.... at least our water tanks are getting filled up! :D

I got so wet at the tip that I had to dry off with a towel when I got home after a 15min steamy drive - yuk - rained for about 6hrs this pm.......
we seem to be getting more rain of late than I can recall....or am I just, erm, thingy, erm, whatsit, erm....forgetfull?? :zzz:

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 11:04 pm

I popped to the shops earlier for bread and milk but luckily didnt get too wet. It really is chucking it down at the moment.

Its been so different this year to last. Last year we had days and days of rain in the springtime and then it cleared to beautiful warm blue sky days.... this year it doesnt seem to have rained so much but its been a lot colder and a lot more greyer too. I remember sitting out on the deck sunbathing last springtime. We had a few days of nice weather the other week but dunno now when I last saw the sun.

We have our fire lit today too as it doesnt seem too warm.

See, once a whinging pom always one!! Never happy with the weather! :D

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
I got so wet at the tip that I had to dry off with a towel when I got home after a 15min steamy drive - yuk - rained for about 6hrs this pm.......
we seem to be getting more rain of late than I can recall....or am I just, erm, thingy, erm, whatsit, erm....forgetfull?? :zzz:

Our village looks like a tip at the moment.... its inorganic waste collection here this week. Even in this weather people are going round with their trailors and vans going through all the piles. I put some absolute useless crap out yesterday but it went within the hour.

Am Loolah Oct 22nd 2006 11:21 pm

Our village looks like a tip at the moment.... its inorganic waste collection here this week. Even in this weather people are going round with their trailors and vans going through all the piles. I put some absolute useless crap out yesterday but it went within the hour.

It's rained non-stop pretty much (or is that just in my heart?!) for 3 weeks here. But have to say it's incredibly mild. People still walking round in t-shirts. Between showers (ok, not non-stop), it's warm for end October.

They had 4" hail down the road last week, where the fire brigade were called and shops/businesses flooded it literally happened from nowhere in 2 minutes!

Tis freaky!

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It's rained non-stop pretty much (or is that just in my heart?!) for 3 weeks here. But have to say it's incredibly mild. People still walking round in t-shirts. Between showers (ok, not non-stop), it's warm for end October.

They had 4" hail down the road last week, where the fire brigade were called and shops/businesses flooded it literally happened from nowhere in 2 minutes!

Tis freaky!

My mum was telling me about some freaky weather over there too... theyve had tornados in the next village doing damage and my bro was out the other week and the road turned into a river apparently and he gave up and went home.

sky Oct 23rd 2006 1:38 am

It's dry here :D
Was even a bit warm up until lunch time too :D

planty Oct 23rd 2006 2:09 am

Originally Posted by sky
It's dry here :D
Was even a bit warm up until lunch time too :D

We're in SUNNY Timaru! It's been a glorious Labour Day, not too windy. :)

Apple12 Oct 23rd 2006 7:34 am

Originally Posted by planty
We're in SUNNY Timaru! It's been a glorious Labour Day, not too windy. :)

Yip, we were in Timmers on Sat, hot enough for tshirt and shorts.
Any one living in the South Island not been to Mt Cook yet? You are missing out and need to put it on the list for this summer.
This morning we went for a walk up to the Hooker Glacier, bright blue sky, Mt Cook looked just like off a chocolate box...
You North Islanders are in the wrong place! ;)

planty Oct 23rd 2006 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Apple12
Yip, we were in Timmers on Sat, hot enough for tshirt and shorts.
Any one living in the South Island not been to Mt Cook yet? You are missing out and need to put it on the list for this summer.
This morning we went for a walk up to the Hooker Glacier, bright blue sky, Mt Cook looked just like off a chocolate box...
You North Islanders are in the wrong place! ;)

Hey if you were in Timaru on Saturday did you stop in Winchester for the Rodeo?

We went, it was brilliant. Real cowboys riding wild stallions, bulls, lassooing calfs, children riding sheep, we had a fantastic day out and it only cost $20 for the 5 of us. :D

Boopy Oct 23rd 2006 7:46 am

Here in Wellington it has rained, pretty much non stop for 3 days and 2 nights, yeah! just like UK bank hols.

mumomonty Oct 23rd 2006 7:52 am

What soddin' grotty weather up here. Wet, wet and more wet. Put the woodburner on again! Reminds me of Wales and I don't like Wales much. Roll on summer.

Nice Guy Oct 23rd 2006 8:42 am

Its raining cats and dogs here!!

24c in the Gold Coast.....................some cloud, but nice....................

Sorry.

Not really!

Joshlin Oct 23rd 2006 8:51 am

we decided to take a risk and have our first camping trip - stayed pretty local (Glen tunnel) went Fri night, sat was glorious 25 degrees, touch of sun burn all round, sun was cooler (15) and wet, back home today, drying the tent in the garage cos rain was threatened - but it didn't materialise - now forecast is for 10 degrees and cold southerlies - truly 4 seasons in one weekend!

eileen35 Oct 23rd 2006 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we decided to take a risk and have our first camping trip - stayed pretty local (Glen tunnel) went Fri night, sat was glorious 25 degrees, touch of sun burn all round, sun was cooler (15) and wet, back home today, drying the tent in the garage cos rain was threatened - but it didn't materialise - now forecast is for 10 degrees and cold southerlies - truly 4 seasons in one weekend!

hi joshlin :)
did you take all your camping gear with yous to new zealand?
we,re wondering wether to take our camping cooker as we,re not sure if the gas valves for the bottles are different.
we,ll take the rest of our camping gear with us.
cheers
eileen

Joshlin Oct 24th 2006 6:27 am

Originally Posted by eileen35
hi joshlin :)
did you take all your camping gear with yous to new zealand?
we,re wondering wether to take our camping cooker as we,re not sure if the gas valves for the bottles are different.
cheers
eileen

Hi Eileen
no - we'd never been camping in the UK - one of those things we always said we would do but never got round to it - bought all new here!
Vicki

hubbard Oct 24th 2006 11:02 am

For new potential migrants

- do not make the assumption we made NZ does not equal california beaches...... it is 3 mnths of the yr in ok sunshine ( above 22C) in Auckland, the rest is a lot of rain. If you want reliable warm, sunny weather move to OZ. NZ is very changeable. We moved from the UK to NZ (without adequate search - I admit) to achieve a 'sunnier, drier, climate' for the majority of the year. We left NZ for OZ NZ is warmer than the UK, with more sunshine hours, BUT, it is FAR, FAR wetter and grey. Oz is what I thought NZ weather would be.

cypherpunk Oct 24th 2006 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by eileen35
cheers
eileen

What type of cooker do you have? Ours is a large Campingaz stove (like this one) but you can't get the large Campingaz cylinders here, though the small cartridge cylinders are available. We bought a new regulator and hose (about $15 from Bunnings) and an NZ cylinder, and it all works perfectly.

eileen35 Oct 25th 2006 4:17 pm

:)

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
What type of cooker do you have? Ours is a large Campingaz stove (like this one) but you can't get the large Campingaz cylinders here, though the small cartridge cylinders are available. We bought a new regulator and hose (about $15 from Bunnings) and an NZ cylinder, and it all works perfectly.

hi :)
our cookers same one as yours.
we,ll do that also then just get new hose and regulator.
thanks for the help :D