Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's Not Sheep...it's Chickens!!

It's Not Sheep...it's Chickens!!

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:04 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's Not Sheep...it's Chickens!!

Hi all.

Done our recky of NZ and just thought I'd tell you a bit about it. It's a good job we'd read the 'how to speak New Zulander' thread first else we'd have been completely dumbfounded!

We left home 8am Sunday 11 March, got to Heathrow (purple parking) about 10.15am and were taken straight to Terminal 3 and met our first chicken! Ear New Zuland disc was already open even though flight wasn't until 2.25pm. Chicked in our bags no probs! Great flight via LAX although had pointless exercise of having to go through US immigration and wait in transit lounge (no smoking area in sight!!! thank heavens for patches - we wore sux each)
Arrived Auckland early morning of Tuesday 13 and got connecting domestic flight to Christchurch no probs.

Arrived Cch 8am, on time, bags straight off earplane so no delays there or with immigration or customs. Non-stop rain in Cch. Got tixi to motel but room wasn't ready so got upgraded. First job was to iron OH's interview stuff. By now it's 9.30am and first interview's at 11am. Had lovely hot showers and booked another tixi for 10.40am. Then agent rang 10.15am to say could OH go now as guy interviewing wanted more time with him. Tixi arrived 5 mins later and off he went! OH had another 3 interviews that day so saw him fleetingly in between.

Still raining heavily so thought I'd chick out the dairy next door. A dairy turns out to be like a Happy Shopper / Spar / general groccer kinda shop but it was open 24/7 and it sold every kind of Cadbury's chocolate plus varieties I've not seen before. King size Crunchie was $2, so not the $9 I'd been led to believe!!

Still on my own in the afternoon so went for a walk in Hagley Gardens in the rain. Saw lots of keen joggers and cyclists but kinda got the feeling it was a lot like England. Massive oak trees, cold and wet, but very beautiful open space.

First impressions not good!! spent the first day looking for the "wow" I'd been expecting.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:08 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Not Sheep...it's Chickens!!

TeamEmbo! You only came here on the wettest day we've had for 4 weeks!!! Rain never gives the best impression, but you got the 'feel' right as it is very English. Typically, the weather has since been brill for the last week

And you'll never guess what - I actually met Mark at Hawkins construction!!!! He was leaving the interview as we (myself and a work colleague) were on our way in to see Paul. Would you Adam'n'Eve it!?!

I was standing right next to Mark in reception, and then when we sat down with Paul - saw Mark's CV on his desk and said 'That wasn't Mark E was it?' and the bloke was well surprised! How mad is that?

Sorry I never got an interview for you guys, but looks like I still have a bit to learn about the local markets for Site Managers.

How did the rest of NZ go? Did Mark have any joy with the interviews, and do you feel it was a worthwhile excercise? What were your overall opinions of NZ - still feel it's right for you, or has that changed?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo View Post
First impressions not good!! spent the first day looking for the "wow" I'd been expecting.
Had to laugh, with a schedule like that, with the stress of three interviews, I am impressed that you were even expecting a wow on the first day!

I think any city in the world would be struggling to provide a wow under those circumstances.... I hope that you have had a bit of a chance to relax, meet up with the local expats, and find some of the cool things about living in this part of the world.

Good luck! =)
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo View Post
Hi all.

Done our recky of NZ and just thought I'd tell you a bit about it. It's a good job we'd read the 'how to speak New Zulander' thread first else we'd have been completely dumbfounded!

We left home 8am Sunday 11 March, got to Heathrow (purple parking) about 10.15am and were taken straight to Terminal 3 and met our first chicken! Ear New Zuland disc was already open even though flight wasn't until 2.25pm. Chicked in our bags no probs! Great flight via LAX although had pointless exercise of having to go through US immigration and wait in transit lounge (no smoking area in sight!!! thank heavens for patches - we wore sux each)
Arrived Auckland early morning of Tuesday 13 and got connecting domestic flight to Christchurch no probs.

Arrived Cch 8am, on time, bags straight off earplane so no delays there or with immigration or customs. Non-stop rain in Cch. Got tixi to motel but room wasn't ready so got upgraded. First job was to iron OH's interview stuff. By now it's 9.30am and first interview's at 11am. Had lovely hot showers and booked another tixi for 10.40am. Then agent rang 10.15am to say could OH go now as guy interviewing wanted more time with him. Tixi arrived 5 mins later and off he went! OH had another 3 interviews that day so saw him fleetingly in between.

Still raining heavily so thought I'd chick out the dairy next door. A dairy turns out to be like a Happy Shopper / Spar / general groccer kinda shop but it was open 24/7 and it sold every kind of Cadbury's chocolate plus varieties I've not seen before. King size Crunchie was $2, so not the $9 I'd been led to believe!!

Still on my own in the afternoon so went for a walk in Hagley Gardens in the rain. Saw lots of keen joggers and cyclists but kinda got the feeling it was a lot like England. Massive oak trees, cold and wet, but very beautiful open space.

Good thread and can't wait to hear some more Please
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:42 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton View Post
TeamEmbo! You only came here on the wettest day we've had for 4 weeks!!! Rain never gives the best impression, but you got the 'feel' right as it is very English. Typically, the weather has since been brill for the last week

And you'll never guess what - I actually met Mark at Hawkins construction!!!! He was leaving the interview as we (myself and a work colleague) were on our way in to see Paul. Would you Adam'n'Eve it!?!

I was standing right next to Mark in reception, and then when we sat down with Paul - saw Mark's CV on his desk and said 'That wasn't Mark E was it?' and the bloke was well surprised! How mad is that?

Sorry I never got an interview for you guys, but looks like I still have a bit to learn about the local markets for Site Managers.

How did the rest of NZ go? Did Mark have any joy with the interviews, and do you feel it was a worthwhile excercise? What were your overall opinions of NZ - still feel it's right for you, or has that changed?
Hey, you might not have got Mark an interview but you sure helped keep our spirits up, so many thanks for that! Sorry we just didn't have a spare 5 minutes to call you up. Had every intention of taking you out for a beer for all you have done but wasn't to be! Weds was more rain and hail in p.m.! but Thursday was great sunny day and we had just one hour spare to actually check out the town which was amazing. Loved the array of shops, culture, wonderful old buildings and got a great iced coffee in Cathedral Square from the stall (not Starbucks - yukk!). Left Cch thinking just how fab it was and could really see ourselves there. Great schools, friendly locals, everywhere in walking distance. One interview Mark had there he left with a contract in his hand!! Hawkins was Mark's first interview. That is just so bizarre you being there too! The guy was great and seemed genuinely interested but didn't have any vacancies right now - maybe in a month or two. NI is a different place all together and noticeably warmer. No firm decisions made yet but will keep you posted.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:45 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I never got that wow either was too busy maybe?, I do appreciate the country a lot more now a lot more than three years ago.
I love kiwi folk, once you get a feel for them you are ok, it just takes time but they are really nice people to know once you suss them out