Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's not a nice feeling

It's not a nice feeling

Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not a nice feeling

Big goodbyes aren't a good idea too, say goodbye to everyone days before you leave. be very strict on this, you'll have people wanting to say goodbye right up to leaving for the airport, it's not fair on you. They only have to say goodbye once to you, you'll be doing in many times over and it's hellish.

GOOD LUCK
Old Jul 11th 2011, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Big goodbyes aren't a good idea too, say goodbye to everyone days before you leave. be very strict on this, you'll have people wanting to say goodbye right up to leaving for the airport, it's not fair on you. They only have to say goodbye once to you, you'll be doing in many times over and it's hellish.

GOOD LUCK
Yes I agree with the multiple goodbyes thing! No need - one of my friends was offended I didn't cry at our last goodbye but we'd already said all there was to say, I was just concentrating on packing the house up that day!

Good luck, just remember it's normal to feel nervous/sad etc etc but you'll be fine once you've settled in xx
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Hi,

We have 6 weeks left till we fly and I can feel the emotions building now so god knows what I'll be like in another few weeks. My biggest challenge is leaving my daughter who now also has a 2 year old daughter of her own. She was always part of our plans for emigrating (as we've been planning for soooooo long !) but made her choice to stay in the uk ! It really does pull me apart thinking of them both but I also know we deserve to do what we want aswell ! Life is never easy !

I am sure the emotions will settle once in Nz and best wishes to all who are in an emigrating emotional state, just have some wine to hand
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies. I've spent all week (literally out each night) saying goodbye to family and wonderful friends and tonight I'm just worn out - can't keep my eyes open! You don't realise how emotional and draining it is, - I'm knackered!

Originally Posted by annabel1
Hi,

We have 6 weeks left till we fly and I can feel the emotions building now so god knows what I'll be like in another few weeks. My biggest challenge is leaving my daughter who now also has a 2 year old daughter of her own. She was always part of our plans for emigrating (as we've been planning for soooooo long !) but made her choice to stay in the uk ! It really does pull me apart thinking of them both but I also know we deserve to do what we want aswell ! Life is never easy !

I am sure the emotions will settle once in Nz and best wishes to all who are in an emigrating emotional state, just have some wine to hand
I'm leaving my 2 sons so I know how you're feeling but it must be so hard leaving your grandchild too. I feel for you but as you said you deserve to do what you want. I'm absolutely dreading saying bye to my boys, I can't describe it but I've just got to be strong. I'm just hoping one day that they will join us and we'll all be together, as originally planned.

Just want to get on that plane now and go . . . . . and there'll be nobody at the airport to wave us off - it's hard enough saying goodbye without that!

Good luck to everyone
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonsi
DONT let anyone come to the airport, its selfish on their part IMHO, do all that stuff beforehand so you can concentrate on the travel logistics....and hang on in there, its quite normal
One of the most sensible and honest things I've ever read on this board!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

We're on countdown with only five or six days to go... saying "see you later" instead of goodbye.

At this moment I'm stressing far more about logistics, do we have everything we need (re: luggage) and whether Emirates will honour our 40kg limit (as apposed to 30kg on the booking)!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rick78
saying "see you later" instead of goodbye.
I'm saying exactly the same - I just can't say 'bye'!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

When are you flying? Good luck!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabel1
Hi,

My biggest challenge is leaving my daughter who now also has a 2 year old daughter of her own. She was always part of our plans for emigrating (as we've been planning for soooooo long !) but made her choice to stay in the uk ! It really does pull me apart thinking of them both but I also know we deserve to do what we want aswell ! Life is never easy !
I am in a similar position. When we made the application, it was for five of us. Then my daughter had a baby - he is now 2 and a half. If I think about saying good bye, it makes me cry. But, she could decide to move away and then I would be left sitting at home on my own. My OH and two boys made the move in October last year and I am still in the UK, overseeing the house sale. There is no perfect solution, I will feel split in two, wherever I am. But, we made the decision and I going to give it a good go! My men are loving it (even after going through the ChCh earthquakes) and I really need to be with them now.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:32 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
I am in a similar position. When we made the application, it was for five of us. Then my daughter had a baby - he is now 2 and a half. If I think about saying good bye, it makes me cry. But, she could decide to move away and then I would be left sitting at home on my own. My OH and two boys made the move in October last year and I am still in the UK, overseeing the house sale. There is no perfect solution, I will feel split in two, wherever I am. But, we made the decision and I going to give it a good go! My men are loving it (even after going through the ChCh earthquakes) and I really need to be with them now.
Can't imagine how difficult that is. But as you said, your daughter could up and move any time. It's time to look after yourself a bit and you never know, your daughter might be tempted to move to New Zealand one day!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:35 am
Just Joined

LOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura about

As most have said on here, it's quite normal, the last few days i panicked that i had kept too much back and had no room in the suitcases, I didn't really get upset about saying goodbye to people, then the very minute we said goodbye to my parents to get in the car I suddenly got very upset, we told everyone we didn't want them at the airport and they honored it. That night we lay in our airport hotel bed crying telling each other that we were doing the right thing. Same as some of you we have left close family behind, Skype is a wonderful thing. We have been here 10 months it's amazing, things don't always go according to plan, but hey we are loving it. The 2 of us, 2 teenage boys and our dogs. Follow your dreams my Mum told me. "You'll Be Rite" is what they say out here.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

When are you flying? Good luck!
Thanks!

Our flight is at 9.10 on Tuesday morning - staying at Manchester Airport Hotel the night before and we're flying with Singapore airlines.

Lotsa luck to you too!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it odd how so many people seem to treat moving to NZ like someone has died. In reality if the poo hits the fan you are only 2 days from the UK and about 30 secs from skype.

It's not a small world, I know I spent ages wandering around it, but if you need to be somewhere you'd be surprised how quick you can move.

Relax, nothing is forever, enjoy today.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chippy64
I really do feel for you as I know it must be so difficult, but as you mentioned your daughter could up an move with the little one at any time which is something I have also thought with our situation.
I do think we can take some comfort in the fact that were not the only ones making this sort of decision in this situation which I find does help I also feel so so torn but I knew it would never be easy to move once our grandaughter arrived !
I wish you all the best for your move and I am sure things will feel better once you have moved and your out of emotional limbo
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:03 am
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice

We're on countdown with only five or six days to go... saying "see you later" instead of goodbye.
I was reading through this thread and was going to add this thought when I got to the end. My sentiments exactly.

I very nearly didn't go ahead with this move on the grounds of I have hardly any family, only my Dad and his wife (lovely step-Mum) and her grown up kids. I couldn't face leaving him because I know that one day he will be gone and I won't have made the most of him and will be alone. He sat me down and said he didn't want me to go but equally he didn't want me to be stay behind for him and when he goes, to be without him and without my dream because I'd missed the opportunity. He told me to get a grip and go.

It's really hard knowing you won't see folk for a long time but it doesn't have to be forever. Also, if it doesn't work out in NZ, you just come back. You might lose a bit of cash in the process but you'll still be you. There's always that fall back. We've still got our UK citizenship so we can still come back though I really hope I don't have to! lol

As human beings, if we didn't take these risks, we'd all still be sitting around in caves wearing leaves and grunting....

Do it girl, make your dream real, you deserve it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.