Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's not a nice feeling

It's not a nice feeling

Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice
Default It's not a nice feeling

We've got just over a week before we leave and, even though I've been in a 'state' - anxious, nervous, excited, worried, sick, etc. - for ages, today it's just hit me and I don't feel good. Panicking a bit, doubting we're doing the right thing, basically feeling quite sick. I know it's 'normal' and everyone has gone through it - I've read so many posts about it and I've thought "you'll be fine, hang in there" but when it's you feeling like this it's not nice. Not looking forward to saying all my goodbyes this week either . . . . .

Please tell me, all of you leaving soon, that you feel the same and I'm not alone!!!

Gay x
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:24 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not a nice feeling

Originally Posted by Gail5
We've got just over a week before we leave and, even though I've been in a 'state' - anxious, nervous, excited, worried, sick, etc. - for ages, today it's just hit me and I don't feel good. Panicking a bit, doubting we're doing the right thing, basically feeling quite sick. I know it's 'normal' and everyone has gone through it - I've read so many posts about it and I've thought "you'll be fine, hang in there" but when it's you feeling like this it's not nice. Not looking forward to saying all my goodbyes this week either . . . . .

Please tell me, all of you leaving soon, that you feel the same and I'm not alone!!!

Gay x
Been there, done that. If you don't, then somethings wrong. It's natural and expected, after all, you're leaving a lot of family, friends and memories behind but the new life is well worth it.

"you'll be fine, hang in there"
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine once your on your way to the airport, its all a bit overwhelming in the last week or two, especially when you start the goodbyes.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:00 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you're definitely not alone. I am dying to get to NZ, a place I've fallen in love with somehow despite all the negative things I've read about it here and elsewhere.

I absolutely hate my life here (I know hate is a strong word but it reflects how I feel unfortunately). Most of my friends have already bailed out of Egypt (where I am) and no family to speak of. The only things I'll miss are my 2 doves!

Nonetheless I do get a wobble every now and then though we're not going before November (if NZIS gives us the go ahead). It's completely normal, it's a new life full of unknowns. But if you think about it, it's also a new adventure too

I hope your move is very smooth and pleasant and I wish you all the luck
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija

I absolutely hate my life here (I know hate is a strong word but it reflects how I feel unfortunately). Most of my friends have already bailed out of Egypt (where I am) and no family to speak of. The only things I'll miss are my 2 doves!

:
right now I feel the same. its so depressing being somewhere you don't want to be. no pleasure. every single moment is a pain.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Gay x
here's hoping things go smoothly for you - we're not ready to go yet but I'm sure I'll feel the same when its time for us. Hang in there

Laura X
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

NessD will become famous soon enough

Hey, I'm exactly the same. Been planning for so long and yet tears keep spilling at the most odd times. 2 more weeks of work left and less than 4 before I fly. I'm dreading the leaving but know that life is going to be exciting. Hang on in there. The world is a small place now, and as my Mum keeps saying "New Zealand is only a day away"! Bless her!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:17 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

DONT let anyone come to the airport, its selfish on their part IMHO, do all that stuff beforehand so you can concentrate on the travel logistics....and hang on in there, its quite normal
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
DONT let anyone come to the airport, its selfish on their part IMHO, do all that stuff beforehand so you can concentrate on the travel logistics....and hang on in there, its quite normal
Good advice, thats what i did, told all my family NOT to come to the airport, more so because my son was only 7 at the time and didn't want to come - so i didn't want him getting upset by seeing everyone else upset!! Saying that though - aside from leaving family behind i was actually excited about the adventure ahead.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ~ I feel excited one day and the next I'm having full scale panic! I'm sure it's normal enough and I keep coming back to the old "Life's too short" thing. I'm going to try it out because it feels right and if it doesn't work out I'll think again. My sentiments about the airport boo hoos are similar to simonsi, just don't know how to tell the family to stay at home
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Can you arrange a family breakfast at a relatives house on the day you fly ? I asked for that and had breakfast/brunch with my relatives before the taxi came at midday to take us to the airport. Maybe it does not fit in to your time table or the logistics just wouldn't work. I just didn't want my Dad driving back from the airport alone in a state after we had said goodbye. At least my sister and her 2 kids were still at the house after we left that day. 'Sometimes we laugh but sometimes it hurts instead'
Old Jul 9th 2011, 1:24 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: It's not a nice feeling

You're making a terrible mistake...

...wasting another second of your life in the UK. I hope you don't mind stepping into winter again here however, better keep that wooly hat just in case .
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

emmabc has a brilliant futureemmabc has a brilliant futureemmabc has a brilliant futureemmabc has a brilliant futureemmabc has a brilliant futureemmabc has a brilliant future

Gay x
You' re definitely not alone - we have 2 weeks to go and my emotions range from a child's Christmas day excitement to feeling really flat and last week I had to take a plastic bag to bed as I thought I was going to throw up (I'm not a drama queen -honest!) I think it's normal to have these feelings - I just keep trying to remember all the positive reasons why we are doing this. I will not be having any friends or family to the airport but we are having a weekend where friends/family are coming over; hopefully no tears : )
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Been there, done that. If you don't, then somethings wrong. It's natural and expected, after all, you're leaving a lot of family, friends and memories behind but the new life is well worth it.
Ditto the above.
We were very very happy and very very sad at the same time.
All worth it though.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I totally fell apart, I was a crying wreck for the last 2 weeks before leaving. I've never felt like it before and hopefully never again. When I went to NZ House in London to get passports stamped I nearly lost it altogether, my mother had to take me in the bar next door to sit down and gather my thoughts. It hit me like a truck, the scale of what me and the wife were doing.

IT DOES GET BETTER

I was fine as soon as the plane took off, stunning views of London and thoughts about our new life. Now my wife is the other way round, she was the calm one before we left but now is feeling the strain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.