British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   It's not a dogs life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-not-dogs-life-527639/)

welshwales Apr 7th 2008 10:47 pm

It's not a dogs life

Why is it so hard to find a rental that will take a dog:confused::confused:
We are landing in Tauranga on the 23rd of April (shit thats a reality check....PANIC...) we have been looking at loads of rentals on the interweb and when we see one we like (or even half like at the moment) we have been e-mailing them, The same reply comes back all the time NO DOGS. I know that some dogs could damage the house and i know that it is up to the landlord if he wants animals in his property but surely that is what the bond is for....

Steve and Julie Apr 7th 2008 10:54 pm

Re: It's not a dogs life

I know what your saying, we to have dogs and found it hard to find a property to rent. LIE, thats what most people do.:thumbsup:

happynz Apr 7th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie (Post 6175439)
LIE, thats what most people do.:thumbsup:

Yes, and you would also find that your landlord may give you the boot if found out. It happened to the people who lived next to us. Then again, youse pays youse money and takes youse chances.

Will you be needing a flat or house straight away? If you are staying in a motel or something for a bit you should then make it priority one in seeking accomodation that allows dogs. Anyway, I wouldn't rent anything based on a picture I saw online. You really need to see places for yourself.

Liz & Co Apr 7th 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 6175418)
We are landing in Tauranga on the 23rd of April (shit thats a reality check....PANIC...) we have been looking at loads of rentals on the interweb and when we see one we like (or even half like at the moment) we have been e-mailing them, The same reply comes back all the time NO DOGS. I know that some dogs could damage the house and i know that it is up to the landlord if he wants animals in his property but surely that is what the bond is for....

Most rentals are advertised, stating 'No Dogs', talk to the agent, they may agree to allow the dog if you are prepared to offer a higher bond. It may also depend on what type of dog you have.

We rented in Tauranga with a dog and 4 kids. I told the agent we had a smallish dog and just made sure she was always out when the inspections were carried out - she's an English Pointer. I think the agent I rented with have changed their policy from 'No dogs' to 'No Kids'!

What type of dog do you have?

Liz

BEVS Apr 7th 2008 11:26 pm

Hi Welshwales.

It really is better to lay eyes on a rental first . I know it's a bit tough [ we had two cats] but it would be better for you to find a dog friendly motel or to put your dog into kennels until you find a good , solid rental.

It's normal here for dogs to be kept outside in a kennel & not to sleep in the house.

Offering to pay extra bond security and having the carpets cleaned can help.

dlmckay Apr 8th 2008 12:30 am

Trouble is, most landlords will tar tenants with the same brush... and most landlords will have had a problem with a dog that ate the walls or somesuch.

Perhaps explaining how well mannered the dog is, how it never sleeps on the furniture and has never barked in its life will go a long way with a potential landlord.

Good luck and if all else fails, put the dog in kennels nearby until you're able to buy.

Kiwiprincess Apr 8th 2008 12:42 am

Bring photos of your dogs wearing cute little bonnets on their heads and sitting in a basket.

Seriously, do bring photos of your current house and dog/s so that the landlord/agent can see the place you come from. Eg - the dogs basket is in the laundry or something. Tidy, clean pics which show what a nice dog you have.

RobClubley Apr 8th 2008 2:00 am

Like this:
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/DSC05588.jpg

Or this:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/DSC05635.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/DSC05990.jpg

Actually maybe not :D

southerner Apr 8th 2008 3:12 am

As others have pointed out for some landlords it will be a purely business decision to avoid potential damage/cleaning costs for a property. And for some people (and I'll admit I'm one of them) they just find it personally disagreeable to have dogs inside their homes, and they will feel strongly enough about it that it extends to any rental properties they own.

Also there is more of a consensus in NZ, compared to the UK, that dogs should be accommodated outside in a yard, kennel or shed.

But I've heard of lots of immigrants who once here have been able to arrange something fairly quickly. Once you present yourself and your dog in person, and perhaps offer to up the bond, then something satisfactory normally comes along.

Steve and Julie Apr 8th 2008 5:38 am

I dont think so may put the new landlord off with those pics:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh he is lovely though (the dog)

welshwales Apr 8th 2008 8:06 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6175500)
Will you be needing a flat or house straight away? If you are staying in a motel or something for a bit you should then make it priority one in seeking accomodation that allows dogs. Anyway, I wouldn't rent anything based on a picture I saw online. You really need to see places for yourself.

Hi Happy, I agree with you we wouldn't rent just on a picture but when there is no indication if they take dogs or not it's always worth asking.
Maxwell (the boxer dog) is staying here with grandad at first so we can sort somewhere out to rent, however the more I look the more worried i am that we wont find anywhere as 98% say no dogs.
One of the big conditions the kids had about moving to n.z is that Maxwell comes along, and as the decision to go to n.z was a family decision then he comes.

Managed to palm the two moggies off on grandad for good tho:p:rolleyes:

Beeka Apr 11th 2008 4:52 am

I see your predicament... maybe this will help.

We rent in Auckland and our landlord lives overseas. They pay an agent to manage it for them. So the agent comes once every three months to check up, and they always give us a few days notice before visiting. I think the law is at least 24 hrs notice.

Obviously use your own judgment but if it were me, I'd keep the dog in a kennel in the yard and let it roam in the house by day. When the agent/landlord comes to look just keep the dog out out of range and remove trace evidence! A chore but its doable.

The other thing is that we moved in with a "no pets" contract, but we now plan to get a puppy (:thumbsup:) so we asked the landlord nicely, promised to steam clean the carpets when we move out, etc and he reluctantly said yes! Just goes to show... it is a lot of hassle and extra cost to find new tenants. So if you ask them about a dog AFTER you move in, they may have little choice but to say yes.

All very dishonest I know. But if you get into real last minute panic, at least you know whats doable.

luvwelly Apr 11th 2008 5:26 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 6176115)
As others have pointed out for some landlords it will be a purely business decision to avoid potential damage/cleaning costs for a property. And for some people (and I'll admit I'm one of them) they just find it personally disagreeable to have dogs inside their homes, and they will feel strongly enough about it that it extends to any rental properties they own.

I rent out our UK property (we rent in NZ) and like Southerner, I state 'kids welcome but no pets' - however it's good to have rental income as opposed to no rental income and so faced with long-termish tenants who ticked all the boxes in other respects, if they asked first and they agreed to carpet cleaning etc, I would probably reluctantly say yes. One family member has severe allergies to cats/dogs so I am more reluctant than most to cave in on this.

Contrary to another poster, I do think my Managing Agent's quarterly inspections would pick up the presence of a dog/cat - despite efforts to conceal as suggested above and if a tenant deceived me in this way, I would suddenly become very inflexible.

Here in NZ, the rental we are in has owners who prefer no pets so they loved us - but they had made an exception for the long-term tenant prior to us for a couple of cats so maybe asking nicely once they are interested in renting to you, is the answer.

Marika 38 Apr 11th 2008 10:15 am

Hi Welshwales,
We are with a rental company called House of rentals, when we have talked before, I am sure she has mentioned that in some of the rentals she has on her books, small dogs would be fine, you may need to tell little white fib, and say your dog is very small and neat, but its worth an enquiry, It may be she can't help, but she is lovely lady and would help you if she can.
Let me know if you have already contacted them or if you would like thier email address.
:)

Willij Apr 11th 2008 10:40 am

I know I'm going off-thread a bit but I wondered if the dog-owners who have answered the thread could also give me their opiniond on New Zealand as a dog-friendly place.

We are currently in Australia (Victoria) and I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of places to take my dog walking off-lead. I suppose I was spoilt in Wales because I could take him everywhere and we had lots of forests on our doorstep.

So what is the situation in New Zealand - where can you take dogs walking on or off-lead ?