British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   It's music time :-) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-music-time-746003/)

Jan n Neil Jan 23rd 2012 11:15 pm

It's music time :-)

We have managed to get tickets for three amazing gigs in Feb:

• Seether
  • System of a Down
  • Roger Waters version of The Wall.
They are all in Auckland and we are in ChCh, but the System and Wall dates are next to each other so a nice break on the North Island for us :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait :D

Jan

Justcol Jan 24th 2012 1:05 am

Re: It's music time :-)

Thought about SOD but saw serge on his own at the BDO a couple of years ago and I was happy with that.
Seether aint my thing and I'd rather pull my own teeth out than have to listen to pink floyd.
Gonna see the Damned tomorrow night, am toying with going to see Peter Hooks Joy Division / Closer thing
and will be flying off to OZ to see the wedding present in April

mcgarnagle Jan 24th 2012 5:13 am

Saw Fleet Foxes last week.

Am gutted that Bon Iver is playing Wellington (2 nights sold out) but not coming to Auckland.

Got Ryan Adams in March and am contemplating whether New Order are worth shelling out 100 bucks for.

Where/When is Hooky playing?

Trish M Jan 24th 2012 7:00 am

Wow, I didn't know SOAD were still about, I'd love to see them. I might be going to see Killing Joke in March though (on my own as none of my mates like the same stuff as me :()

Justcol Jan 24th 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle (Post 9861434)
Scontemplating whether New Order are worth shelling out 100 bucks for.

Where/When is Hooky playing?

I decided against new order, it wasn't the band but the venue. I saw Joy Division at the Russel club
and New order at the hacienda, I couldnt watch them as a stadium band, its just not right.
Peter Hook and the light are playing the studio on K road on April 20th Its light the ultimate tribute band.
Only 70 bucks and a small sweaty venue watching hooky play all the classics from Closer and Unknown pleasures
Just like the good old days :thumbup::thumbup:
Tickets from Ticket Master see you there:eek:

theghostofdustybin Jan 24th 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 9860967)
We have managed to get tickets for three amazing gigs in Feb:

• Seether
  • System of a Down
  • Roger Waters version of The Wall.
They are all in Auckland and we are in ChCh, but the System and Wall dates are next to each other so a nice break on the North Island for us :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait :D

Jan

Dresdon Dolls tonight in CHCH. You cant beat an angry woman in her underwear singing about alcholic friends....

love30stm Jan 24th 2012 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9861124)
Thought about SOD but saw serge on his own at the BDO a couple of years ago and I was happy with that.
Seether aint my thing and I'd rather pull my own teeth out than have to listen to pink floyd.
Gonna see the Damned tomorrow night, am toying with going to see Peter Hooks Joy Division / Closer thing
and will be flying off to OZ to see the wedding present in April

The Damned and Joy division were good in their day!! :p

dont want to see any of the above.

Daughter has got tickets to see Florence and St Vincent :starsmile:

love30stm Jan 24th 2012 8:12 pm

New Zealand is good for seeing older bands that were good back in the day :lol::p;)

we had a good band in Wanganui the weekend that played covers of the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Strokes and Queens of the stone age. nearest we will get to Listen to those bands apart from the beatles of course that would be impossible :lol:

I WANT TO SEE THE STROKES :(

love30stm Jan 25th 2012 6:09 am

Joy Division without Ian Curtis is New order

R.I.P Ian

Justcol Jan 25th 2012 6:57 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9863932)
Joy Division without Ian Curtis is New order

R.I.P Ian

Duh, I know, I'm a manc liking joy division is in our DNA

BEVS Jan 25th 2012 9:58 am

I've seen The Stones here in NZ. The place was jammed packed with all ages.
I'm interested now. When does Love30stm become old hat for you Love30stm?

Justcol Jan 25th 2012 11:53 pm

Damned put on a great show last night, just a shame the sound system was shite

love30stm Jan 26th 2012 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9864212)
I've seen The Stones here in NZ. The place was jammed packed with all ages.
I'm interested now. When does Love30stm become old hat for you Love30stm?

I said the Strokes and huh???:huh:

also want to see Evanescense they have never been to New Zeland but of course are going to Australia !!! :frown:

BEVS Jan 26th 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9867493)
I said the Strokes and huh???:huh:

Oopsies. I should have written The Rolling Stones.

What I meant was that your preferences are for newer music. You prefer new stuff to old stuff I think. You are able to move along with the times when it comes to music. I sorta lost it somewhere back in the early 90's :p

So, when does the new stuff become the old stuff for you. Does any of the new stuff ever sound like a load of old racket & junk... like much of it does to me these days.

RobClubley Jan 26th 2012 11:05 pm

Oo Evanescence are coming to Aus? Wonder if that's an excuse for some time away.
I was gutted, they played Leeds where I used to live.

love30stm Jan 26th 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9867596)
Oopsies. I should have written The Rolling Stones.

What I meant was that your preferences are for newer music. You prefer new stuff to old stuff I think. You are able to move along with the times when it comes to music. I sorta lost it somewhere back in the early 90's :p

So, when does the new stuff become the old stuff for you. Does any of the new stuff ever sound like a load of old racket & junk... like much of it does to me these days.

Haha I like older stuff like Pink Floyd, The stones, The strokes are not a new band Also Morrisey (the smiths) and the cure and 80s glam Rock.

And there is some good artists out there and not Just crap rap, glee and The Beiber ewwwww :p

AndyRuth Jan 27th 2012 2:44 am

Really looking forward to both New Order in Feb and Peter Hook playing ' Closer' ( quality album ) in April - saw Barney couple years ago in Liverpool with his then band Bad Lieutenant - haven't seen New Order live since the 80's.

Going to both of these on my tod so if anyone fancies meeting up at one or both of these gigs let me know :wave:

Justcol Jan 27th 2012 4:26 am

Originally Posted by AndyRuth (Post 9867848)
Going to both of these on my tod so if anyone fancies meeting up at one or both of these gigs let me know :wave:

I'm going to see Hooky and the light in april, should be a good do, like you not seen em for years.
Used to see Bernard and Martin Jackson (Magazine, freshies, swing out sister) occasionally in the white horse in swinton.
How long you been in Cambridge? I left there 6 months ago after spending 3 years there, you know what cliquey place it is
I'm sure we must have some mutual friends

AndyRuth Jan 27th 2012 7:28 pm

I'm sure we do :nod: Know exactly what you mean !!!

Anyway if you fancy a catching up at the gig over a beer give me a shout

stephen60 Jan 30th 2012 7:46 am

Hooky in Auckland looks good, don't know if i can make it.
JD for me, absolutely hated Blue monday.
Norman Cook is on at the Vector Arena March 2nd, Bitha and Brighton revisited.
:cool::nod:
happy mondays to reform for gigs in April/May -banging

stephen60 Jan 30th 2012 8:12 am

Peter Hook now signed up for 18th and 19th April at Bodega, Wellie.
Unknown Pleasures on Wed night.
Closer on Thurs night.
70 bucks either night.

Justcol Jan 30th 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by stephen60 (Post 9873097)
happy mondays to reform for gigs in April/May -banging

bet they don't come down here but will start practising my Bez dance just in case they do.

Bugger just noticed he's doing melbourne on the 12th and I get there on the 13th. . . . damn!!

Ninja757 Jan 31st 2012 3:54 am

Been here 6 months...and have already seen / got tickets for:

Foo Fighters (supported by Tenacious D)
The Business
The Damned
Bad Manners
Incubus (Tonight)
Florence and the Machine
Sisters of Mercy
Roxette
Def Leppard (supported by Heart)
Ronan Keating (Friday)
The Cranberries

......and I was worried that we wouldn`t get to see any decent bands in NZ!!!!..............:thumbup:

Justcol Jan 31st 2012 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Ninja757 (Post 9874983)

The Business
The Damned
Bad Manners
Incubus (Tonight)
Florence and the Machine
Sisters of Mercy
Roxette
Ronan Keating (Friday)
The Cranberries

......and I was worried that we wouldn`t get to see any decent bands in NZ!!!!..............:thumbup:

If you like all the bands that's great but there's only two on the list I would pay to see (foos and damned, saw em both)
Its easy to fall into going to see anyone you've heard of mode just because they're here.
would you / have you been to see all those bands in the uk, most of em tour every year so have been easy to see if you wanted to

Ninja757 Jan 31st 2012 7:40 pm

You`re right in a way.....We did just that when we first got across, but to be honest...the only ones I wouldn`t of usually seen would have been Def Leppard, Ronan and Roxette (although Def Leppard was a brilliant night) I`ve seen the Damned and Bad Manners plenty of times back in the UK and am / was into all the other bands anyway. I took my 14 year old to Incubus last night and they were amazing!!!........Ronan on Friday (wife has seen him before), but The Sisters of Mercy is the one i`m looking forward to the most. We`ve realised that decent bands DO make their way down to here, so are a bit choozy now (held back on New Order tickets because Hooky is not with them) and don`t fancy watching him trying to be Ian Curtis either!!
I made a `massive` call after the Foo Fighters gig by telling my son it was the `best concert i`ve ever been to`....and i`ve seen some great live bands over the years:thumbsup: (U2, Oasis, Depeche Mode, Bon Jovi, The Prodigy, Muse, Faithless, Kasabian)......so i`ve been a bit spolit since getting here!

mcgarnagle Jan 31st 2012 10:15 pm

Elbow are playing The Powerstation on March 28.

Tickets on sale Feb 10.

love30stm Jan 31st 2012 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle (Post 9876707)

Tickets on sale Feb 10.

No comment :p

love30stm Jan 31st 2012 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ninja757 (Post 9874983)

The Business
The Damned
Bad Manners
Incubus (Tonight)
Florence and the Machine
Sisters of Mercy
Roxette
Ronan Keating (Friday)
The Cranberries

haha thats also good if you live in Auckland but if you live 5 odd hours drive away not so good is it? i was only a hour or so away from gigs in the UK

My daughter is going to see Florence, but none of the above bands would be worth my time and expense to go to
Auckland for....

the only bands i want to see are

30 Seconds to mars (seen them once in Auckland and they have been to europe and australia numerous times and only been here once)

Muse (been here a couple of times i saw them at the BDO but again they have toured other parts of the world numerous times)

The Strokes ( not been here for years!!! toured in other countries)

Evanescence (not been here at all but to europe of course)

its hardly the music capital of the world here is it???
, but oh well just have to watch you tube and online for the live shows :thumbdown:

and Ronan Keeting??? omg :p

Ninja757 Feb 1st 2012 3:54 am

Ronan Keating!!!!!............I only like one of his songs, but my wife likes him loads (the last time she saw him, she put a massive poster of him on our bedroom wall....i`m sure he used to `wink` at me)
I agree about the location problem. We have a 20 minute drive into Auckland for most of the gigs here, but if you`re elsewhere...you`re screwed.
Most bands only do one gig in NZ, and it tends to be Auckland (I did hear a rumour that Radiohead may be thinking of playing in the South island this year)
I`m looking forward to seeing Florence though. I missed her set when we went to Glastonbury in 2010 (Chose Dizzee Rascal on the Pyramid stage instead) but she did come on and duet with him for one song!:tounge_smile:

Justcol Feb 1st 2012 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle (Post 9876707)

Tickets on sale Feb 10.

Wayhey, Elbow from little old Ramsbottom, just round the corner from my old gaff

Ninja757 Feb 6th 2012 4:26 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9876756)
haha thats also good if you live in Auckland but if you live 5 odd hours drive away not so good is it? i was only a hour or so away from gigs in the UK

My daughter is going to see Florence, but none of the above bands would be worth my time and expense to go to
Auckland for....

the only bands i want to see are

30 Seconds to mars (seen them once in Auckland and they have been to europe and australia numerous times and only been here once)

Muse (been here a couple of times i saw them at the BDO but again they have toured other parts of the world numerous times)

The Strokes ( not been here for years!!! toured in other countries)

Evanescence (not been here at all but to europe of course)

its hardly the music capital of the world here is it???
, but oh well just have to watch you tube and online for the live shows :thumbdown:

and Ronan Keeting??? omg :p

Evanescence pre-sale tomorrow...(Vector Arena, Auckland)....!!!!!

RobClubley Feb 6th 2012 5:08 am

Just bought my ticket for Evanescence in the pre-presale and booked flights to Auckland on my last few Qantas points very happy.

hazeandsteve Feb 6th 2012 5:50 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9867596)
.......your preferences are for newer music. You prefer new stuff to old stuff I think. You are able to move along with the times when it comes to music. I sorta lost it somewhere back in the early 90's :p

Had a thought about this while riding back from the Coromandel.
It jumped into my head that bands and their tours need to be booked quite a while in advance. Perhaps the life expectancy of the latest X idol's career doesn't make a world tour feasible, hence bands who have stood the test of time are the ones who travel............:beer:...like Guiness.

love30stm Feb 6th 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 9886043)
Just bought my ticket for Evanescence in the pre-presale and booked flights to Auckland on my last few Qantas points very happy.

Oh shit I'm away that weekend in Wellington!!!

Justcol Feb 6th 2012 10:34 am

cancell it chuck they might not come back ;)

love30stm Feb 6th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9886421)
cancell it chuck they might not come back ;)

Haha no way I'm going to cancel a weekend of partying with my best friend it's already booked up and I'm not going to cry.

30 Seconds to Mars are my favorite band ;)

And plus it is a pain in the arse going to Auckland to see bands like I said I live a long way from there. Why don't they ever come to Wellington?? Pisses me off it is the Capital after all but you wouldn't know it:frown:

mcgarnagle Feb 7th 2012 9:45 am

there's no pleasing some people

love30stm Feb 7th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle (Post 9888317)

I'm not easily pleased like some people who live here :p and it was short notice!

And Evanescence apparently touring NZ? and there is only one place to go and that's Auckland as usual. So lucky you that live in Auckland :starsmile:

We can't all drop everything, work, commitments and spending money to stay overnight a 5 + hour drive just to get there.

So don't be a smart arse

love30stm Feb 7th 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle (Post 9888317)

I've seen your older threads is all I'm saying ;):p