Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's me - I'm back - With NZ PR !!

It's me - I'm back - With NZ PR !!

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default It's me - I'm back - With NZ PR !!

Hi everyone.

Been a long time since I have posted and I confess that I did promise to post my updates & progress on an ongoing basis & I didn’t. :scared:

To be honest it was all way more major stressful than I / we expected.

My first job in NZ (in IT) was working for what seemed to me a split-personality boss but I won’t go there. This kinda planted some doubt which I had to deal with & stay focused on the big picture. My point, a bad boss or a rotten job can really dampen things for you A LOT.

To further the point, when you are on a work permit & kinda sentenced to work for that company you feel somewhat cheated. So on that note if there is ANY advice I can offer to anyone about to do the NZ immigrate thing, try to get your PR BEFORE you come over.

The other point I will make is immigration consultants. Are they worth it – NO. The NZIS are very helpful (to a degree) and if you are really determined to make it here my advise is try to get to the Waikato region even if it just until you get your PR (if you don’t have it before getting here) as the Hamilton NZIS office is a total night & day from the Auckland immigration offices. Believe me the lack of stress is well worth it.

I guess it is not easy to explain my / our feelings about the whole deal as everyone has their “own” experience (which says a lot for the immigration process !) but the stresses that the whole deal can cause whilst living & working here but not knowing you are going to be here permanently is nerving.

Our situation is we want to buy a house & get our son into the local school but hinging on PR so it kinda creates this constant reminder that we may not be permanent here.

From a money perspective you are in a FAR GREATER position to negotiate $ if you have your PR as if you want to change job or your boss starts playing silly bugger (as mine did) you can not just tell him to shove it, you are bound to the Co on a work permit. Personally I think the NZ govt should re-visit this as I believe companies take advantage of that especially if you are here with your family.

We have met so many folk that say “ they are just hanging on to their job till they get their PR” and then a fast resignation. I believe there is SO MUCH that the NZ immigration could do to attract more folk and speed-up the whole process for new immigrants and the country really does need skills and good people.

Conclusion:
We went through heaps of stress, that’s history. W have our PR and that is what counts as we want to live here. Our wee lad (just turned three) is thriving here. It is an AWESOME place to bring up kids and for us that s No 1 on the list. I now have a great job & the people are really nice. My missus has started her business which is growing positively. We live in an estate where our neighbours are totally A1.

Are we going to be millionaires ? I don’t think so (but never say never), are we happy here? YES.

There you have it.

I hope this finds you all well and go for NZ it is a fantastic place but do understand it is not everyone’s cup ‘o tea.

Cheers

Campbell
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It's me - I'm back - With NZ PR !!

Welcom Back!!!

Glad that everything is working out for you and may it continue.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:09 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi everyone.

Been a long time since I have posted and I confess that I did promise to post my updates & progress on an ongoing basis & I didn’t. :scared:

My first job in NZ (in IT) was working for what seemed to me a split-personality boss but I won’t go there. This kinda planted some doubt which I had to deal with & stay focused on the big picture. My point, a bad boss or a rotten job can really dampen things for you A LOT.

To further the point, when you are on a work permit & kinda sentenced to work for that company you feel somewhat cheated. So on that note if there is ANY advice I can offer to anyone about to do the NZ immigrate thing, try to get your PR BEFORE you come over.

The other point I will make is immigration consultants. Are they worth it – NO. The NZIS are very helpful (to a degree) and if you are really determined to make it here my advise is try to get to the Waikato region even if it just until you get your PR (if you don’t have it before getting here) as the Hamilton NZIS office is a total night & day from the Auckland immigration offices. Believe me the lack of stress is well worth it.

I guess it is not easy to explain my / our feelings about the whole deal as everyone has their “own” experience (which says a lot for the immigration process !) but the stresses that the whole deal can cause whilst living & working here but not knowing you are going to be here permanently is nerving.

Our situation is we want to buy a house & get our son into the local school but hinging on PR so it kinda creates this constant reminder that we may not be permanent here.

From a money perspective you are in a FAR GREATER position to negotiate $ if you have your PR as if you want to change job or your boss starts playing silly bugger (as mine did) you can not just tell him to shove it, you are bound to the Co on a work permit. Personally I think the NZ govt should re-visit this as I believe companies take advantage of that especially if you are here with your family.

We have met so many folk that say “ they are just hanging on to their job till they get their PR” and then a fast resignation. I believe there is SO MUCH that the NZ immigration could do to attract more folk and speed-up the whole process for new immigrants and the country really does need skills and good people.

Conclusion:
We went through heaps of stress, that’s history. W have our PR and that is what counts as we want to live here. Our wee lad (just turned three) is thriving here. It is an AWESOME place to bring up kids and for us that s No 1 on the list. I now have a great job & the people are really nice. My missus has started her business which is growing positively. We live in an estate where our neighbours are totally A1.

Are we going to be millionaires ? I don’t think so (but never say never), are we happy here? YES.

There you have it.

I hope this finds you all well and go for NZ it is a fantastic place but do understand it is not everyone’s cup ‘o tea.

Cheers

Campbell
Glad to hear you are feeling upbeat and that now you and your family can move forward. Best of luck with your future. By the way, where in NZ did you decide to settle?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Glad to hear you are feeling upbeat and that now you and your family can move forward. Best of luck with your future. By the way, where in NZ did you decide to settle?

yes all the best me and my family will be there soon waikeria south of hamilton
Old Apr 5th 2006, 7:10 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Hello there,

We settled 30 clicks N of Degobar on the Orwea ream, a small settlement of Silverdale. No wookies though

Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There Campbells,

Gee! it has been an incredibly long time since you've been on the forum! It would appear that you have really been through the mill but, thank goodness, have come though with flying colours. Well done. You were always such an irrepressible positive force on the forum that it was with some anxiety that we saw you gradually melt away under all the misgivings you seemed to end up having. It is so good to see that you have at last triumphed over all of those obstacles and are now set on a firm and positive footing.

Alas me and my dearest 80s chick are not quite such frequent visitors to the forum as we were. Through a series of circumstantial changes it has become less likely that we'll be able to make the move (despite a yearning in our hearts). This has, through a number of other vital interests, taken us away from the forum. We only visit occasionally now. It seems strangely coincidental that the very day I choose to visit is the same day as your long awaited post.

I hope that you can realise all of your dreams in NZ and, as an antipodean emigrant from long ago, wish you all the very best in an enterprise for which I can only look upon in envy.

God bless you all

Ali
Old Apr 6th 2006, 7:02 am
Banned

We started off in Northcote (Holiday Resort) for 2 months. Moved to Glendowie for 1 month and then discovered Silverdale/Orewa on the Norh Shore, Hibiscus Coast and this is where we have settled. Funny how when still in SA doing Trademe searches on property my wife saw and really liked the name Hibiscus Coast. At the time looking at what was on offer it seemed that every house was in the region of near $800K and we gave up on that as that was a lot of money. Now we've ended up here and its GREAT!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 7:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi There Campbells,

Gee! it has been an incredibly long time since you've been on the forum! It would appear that you have really been through the mill but, thank goodness, have come though with flying colours. Well done. You were always such an irrepressible positive force on the forum that it was with some anxiety that we saw you gradually melt away under all the misgivings you seemed to end up having. It is so good to see that you have at last triumphed over all of those obstacles and are now set on a firm and positive footing.

Alas me and my dearest 80s chick are not quite such frequent visitors to the forum as we were. Through a series of circumstantial changes it has become less likely that we'll be able to make the move (despite a yearning in our hearts). This has, through a number of other vital interests, taken us away from the forum. We only visit occasionally now. It seems strangely coincidental that the very day I choose to visit is the same day as your long awaited post.

I hope that you can realise all of your dreams in NZ and, as an antipodean emigrant from long ago, wish you all the very best in an enterprise for which I can only look upon in envy.

God bless you all

Ali
Hi there,
bit of a coincidence Ali on the same day & greetings to you. Not sure what happened that you feel that NZ is out of reach but you are most welcome to open up a channel direct with me and if I can offer any assistance or advice you are most welcome.

Being Scots I do believe in the "if at first you don't succeed".

Our best wishes & God bless you & yours too.

Campbell
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi everyone.

Conclusion:

There you have it.

Cheers

Campbell

So true....I had the same experience, with a manager who thought he could rule my life (quite literally!). There are always aholes out there who just can't resist pouncing on some poor unsuspecting immigrant.

Eight years on, and I'm better off now than I could have ever been in the Uk.