British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Its as good as new.... so what about duty? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-good-new-so-what-about-duty-719602/)

nicorsts1 Jun 4th 2011 2:45 pm

Its as good as new.... so what about duty?

We moved out of our home and back in with my parents in April and packed most of our stuff ourselves, in storage (sisters house:thumbsup: not too much...) We've had a quote from Pickfords, came round viewed our worldly goods and have since been quoted on a shared container, 20 foot - £2500 near as with others to quote yet.

We've always kept all or electrical boxes / packaging etc and re-used them for moving, even my good old Xbox is all packed back as it was...., cd/usb player etc, speakers, dvd player and amp soooo now a little worried that customs will think that these are all new, obviously things are'nt factory packed but as good as... I just thought at the time it'd be the safest way.

The CD player is fairly new, only used it for a couple of months before re-packing so might be awkward, bought it in February plus the protective plastic film was left on.:unsure:

Sooooo what do customs ask for? Do we have to declare items that are as good as new? Not worried about most of them as usual wear and tear is visble, just things that have'nt had alot of use and i guess in their eyes would look new?

Cheers

Paul

BevK Jun 4th 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Its as good as new.... so what about duty?

Originally Posted by nicorsts1 (Post 9410041)

We've always kept all or electrical boxes / packaging etc and re-used them for moving, even my good old Xbox is all packed back as it was...., cd/usb player etc, speakers, dvd player and amp soooo now a little worried that customs will think that these are all new, obviously things are'nt factory packed but as good as... I just thought at the time it'd be the safest way.

The CD player is fairly new, only used it for a couple of months before re-packing so might be awkward, bought it in February plus the protective plastic film was left on.:unsure:

A man after my own heart, Paul I'm exactly the same. The loft is just full of empty boxes that will be used to repack their original items. So, I too would be grateful for any feedback on this thread. :D

Thanks, Bev

Jan n Neil Jun 4th 2011 8:45 pm

I think I recall that as you are emigrating there is no import duty. In the case of very new vehicles there is GST, and I was asked if I was going to re-sell my motorbike, which I am not, but otherwise I think emigration is treated as a once-only event and you'll be fine. They don't open every box :rofl: only those with dirty stuff in :rofl: The removal list doesn't include "age" as a detail either :)

Jan

MOSO Jun 4th 2011 9:40 pm

If I remember rightly, you do have to declare new products and pay GST on them. We bought a new trampoline in the UK and brought it over, there was no way we could re-wrap it, it was obviously new. We declared it, showed the receipt and paid GST on it, but we'd worked all that out and realised it was still much cheaper than buying the same quality here.

Our stereo, wii etc. were packed in their original boxes but we didn't have any problems. They only inspected garden bits, bikes and Christmas decs.

Stormer999 Jun 5th 2011 3:04 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the majority just packed all articles old or new and more than 10 bottles of spirits etc and just took pot luck with customs? Because like the others I as well save original boxes in case the appliance fails and needs to be returned.

sirplug Jun 5th 2011 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by nicorsts1 (Post 9410041)
We moved out of our home and back in with my parents in April and packed most of our stuff ourselves, in storage (sisters house:thumbsup: not too much...) We've had a quote from Pickfords, came round viewed our worldly goods and have since been quoted on a shared container, 20 foot - £2500 near as with others to quote yet.

Sooooo what do customs ask for? Do we have to declare items that are as good as new? Not worried about most of them as usual wear and tear is visble, just things that have'nt had alot of use and i guess in their eyes would look new?

Cheers

Paul

Don't declare anything. They're not new and a check of serial numbers would give away dates sold, etc. We bought a brand new Wii for the kids at Xmas, put it into the container Jan 5th (unused) and had no issues. We also kept all boxes and repacked some fairly new stuff........you'll be good. They have been used.

bourbon-biscuit Jun 6th 2011 5:34 am

Just use plenty of brown parcel tape and make sure you really really have unpacked and used these things. Then it's fine. Brown parcel tape, removing the instruction manuals and warranties and cable ties etc is the way forward :)

nicorsts1 Jun 6th 2011 7:47 pm

Phew.... glad i ain't got to unpack everything, thanks for all your replies:thumbup:

bourbon-biscuit Jun 6th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by nicorsts1 (Post 9414415)
Phew.... glad i ain't got to unpack everything, thanks for all your replies:thumbup:

The CD player still in its plastic wrapper I would personally unwrap, remove the wrapper, rough up the box a bit and repackage using brown parcel tape. Up to you though :)