British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Its a bit windy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-bit-windy-827458/)

Tom1983 Mar 4th 2014 7:55 am

Its a bit windy

I swear the house is going to lift off soon

This carries on, I may be finding my way back to NZ via the yellow brick road grr

barnsleymat Mar 4th 2014 9:53 am

Re: Its a bit windy

I'm bloody bored of it now. Tonight is the third night in a row where it sounds like outside is the take off runway at Heathrow.

It doesn't help having a house perched on the top of a hill facing south straight out to sea.

Mark Smith Mar 4th 2014 7:11 pm

Your place Ok Tom? Our road is under 40cm of water and lapping at the garage, yay!

Tom1983 Mar 4th 2014 7:32 pm

Garage starting to have water in as is conservatory

Wee boys window hasn't been damaged luckily. I was expecting the branches to break through yesterday evening. One job to do when it all calms down

Lovely getting out of the area today, Innes Rd and Heaton St flooded. To top it off, a crash by Glandovney Road since some dipstick pillock thought it would be funny to run a red light! Over an hour to get to work, I thought I was back in London.

Is your mancave all ok?

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 4th 2014 7:42 pm

Take care chaps.

BEVS Mar 4th 2014 8:06 pm

Oh no :ohmy:.

I saw the snow back on The Ranges and the weather has been all over the place here but hadn't seen the weather news.

I've now read about the bad weather and flooding . Hope that is the worst of it.

ChrisWilson7 Mar 4th 2014 8:26 pm

Storm continues after already dumping 150mm of rain on Christchurch in the last 24 hours and blowing the rest of it over! 160kph recorded yesterday at the gondola. I am temporarily working in the council's call centre and we were overrun with flooding calls all through yesterday evening. Major flooding in St Albans, Mairehau, Edgeware, Burwood, Avonside, Wainoni, Woolston, Southshore, Heathcote - you name it, it's flooded to some extent or much worse! Trees down left, right and centre.

It will ease after lunch, but it has done a lot of damage already. Stay safe Tom and all you other Chch folks.

Edit - Sumner is now cut off! Causeway closed.

Hazelnut Mar 5th 2014 3:35 pm

I hope everyone is safe, it's been a wet season all round. A work colleague from Somerset said the water levels there are still not receding :(

bearskin Mar 6th 2014 12:12 am

Jeez. Can't believe the pics coming out of Chch. How much more do they have to put up with?

And, I know that NZ City Councils are universally incompetent, but weren't they even vaguely prepared for it??

Mark Smith Mar 6th 2014 12:19 am

There are some potentially very unpleasant decisons to be made regarding the Flockton street basin in St Albans. The land has dropped after the EQ's, the dudley stream has nowhere to flow to and this is happening every year now. Here's an article the last time it happened. http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...tchurch-dreams
Will the EQC raise the height of the land to pre quake levels as is their responsibility or will the whole area suffer a slow antagonising death as property prices plummet because of annual flooding, insurance companies withdrawing coverage and ending in people losing their shirts? I'd be betting on the latter.

Tom1983 Mar 6th 2014 12:55 am

Despite what Mr Twatlee and co say, this has been going on since the Quakes. Certain areas got flooded last year and the year before, but nothing has been done

For example, Fitzgerald Avenue. Now this road has a bridge that goes across the Avon River. This bridge got damaged and moved downwards from mother natures rumbles so you would think repairs would put it up to the levels it was previously - flood safe. Guess what, they repaired it as per the level it shrunk to. That bridge has flooded and closed every single time we've had floods. Which retard forgot about the huge thing containing water below it? There wasn't any trolls around to frighten the goats/cars crossing

Residents in Woolston near the Heathcote River have also seen their land shrink and been calling for repairs to raise the land back to flood safety levels. As expected, this hasn't been done at all despite the numerous street/building closures.

The flooding yesterday just showed this so called excellent progress being made isn't as excellent as we keep hearing. But then of course, no one in central towers are really bothered about residents houses - as long as a rugby stadium and convention centres are built -then everything is good as gold.

Some people in New Brighton who've had their houses flooded are still awaiting land issues - they've been told things won't be decided until the end of the year. End of the year 2014, 3 years - that's just ridiculous.

ChrisWilson7 Mar 11th 2014 8:33 am

Hey guys,

Just a heads-up if you don't check the weather much. Metservice are forecasting the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Lusi to reach the North Island and upper South Island at the weekend. This could bring heavy rain to Christchurch as much as we don't need it, and looks like a big deal for most the North Island.

http://www.metservice.com/warnings/s...eather-outlook

Hopefully it won't be too severe, but it's worth noting.

BEVS Mar 11th 2014 9:59 am

Lovely. Bit of a rubbish simmer and now 'Big Winds' and extreme weather just for a change.

Pollyana Mar 11th 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7 (Post 11167418)
Hey guys,

Just a heads-up if you don't check the weather much. Metservice are forecasting the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Lusi to reach the North Island and upper South Island at the weekend. This could bring heavy rain to Christchurch as much as we don't need it, and looks like a big deal for most the North Island.

http://www.metservice.com/warnings/s...eather-outlook

Hopefully it won't be too severe, but it's worth noting.

We are watching T C Lusi at work over in Brisbane, alongside Ex TC Gillian and Ex TC Hadi. Latest on T C Lusi is that she has already reportedly killed at least one person on Vanuatu, as a Category 1, and may increase to a Category 2 before impacting New Zealand.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/54268...clone-lusi.htm

North Island is forecast to receive 125 mm (5 inches) or more of rainfall. Flooding is to be expected. "The rugged terrain of New Zealand will make flash flooding and mudslides a major concern this weekend."

If this cyclone strengthens, waves as high as over 27 feet (8 meters) could be felt in the northern coastline.

North Island could feel wind gusts of over 75 mph (120 kph), especially near the coast and over the highest terrain.

Stay safe people :)

bourbon-biscuit Mar 11th 2014 6:25 pm

Just in time for WOMAD. :thumbdown: