It's been a year!

Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile It's been a year!

Yes - today we celebrate being in NZ for a whole year! Where has that time gone? After all the trials and tribulations of getting residency, selling the house, packing up the belongings, and saying goodbye to family and friends, we thought that maybe this year would be much calmer and quieter - no way!

It has been a great year though - we certainly made the right decision to pack up and come to mighty Timaru. After reading some of the threads, I have to say that we've been incredibly lucky because so far all has gone well for us. The children are happy and well settled at school; they have taken up lots of new activities that keep us all busy. I landed on my feet and got a year long teaching contract at a lovely school. The house we have bought has got a big garden that is keeping Nigel very busy - the veggie patch is going to be awesome this year!

There haven't been many low points so far; the major thing is obviously being so far away from family. Less than two weeks after we arrived, Nigel's auntie died. Over the last eight weeks my Mum has endured the deaths of a brother and a sister, which has been really tough for her, and I've felt pretty helpless being all the way over here. Sending cards and chatting on the phone is just not the same as being able to be there. But we knew that there would inevitably be times like that, and our families have all been very supportive of our move. My Mum is coming over for a holiday next January - our first visitor from the UK - and it will be good to have her here.

So, to everyone thinking about making the move, we say "come on over!"
Debbie
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:45 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a year!

Originally Posted by planty
Yes - today we celebrate being in NZ for a whole year! Where has that time gone? After all the trials and tribulations of getting residency, selling the house, packing up the belongings, and saying goodbye to family and friends, we thought that maybe this year would be much calmer and quieter - no way!

It has been a great year though - we certainly made the right decision to pack up and come to mighty Timaru. After reading some of the threads, I have to say that we've been incredibly lucky because so far all has gone well for us. The children are happy and well settled at school; they have taken up lots of new activities that keep us all busy. I landed on my feet and got a year long teaching contract at a lovely school. The house we have bought has got a big garden that is keeping Nigel very busy - the veggie patch is going to be awesome this year!

There haven't been many low points so far; the major thing is obviously being so far away from family. Less than two weeks after we arrived, Nigel's auntie died. Over the last eight weeks my Mum has endured the deaths of a brother and a sister, which has been really tough for her, and I've felt pretty helpless being all the way over here. Sending cards and chatting on the phone is just not the same as being able to be there. But we knew that there would inevitably be times like that, and our families have all been very supportive of our move. My Mum is coming over for a holiday next January - our first visitor from the UK - and it will be good to have her here.

Debbie

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PLANTY

Its always great to hear a happy ending, I hope thats us in another 8 months time
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:12 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 1 year anniversary Planty Crew! Congratulations, and well done on making the move, seeing the hard times through, and reaping the benefits.

Chuffed to bits for you!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Macd will become famous soon enoughMacd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Happy 1 year anniversary Planty Crew! Congratulations, and well done on making the move, seeing the hard times through, and reaping the benefits.

Chuffed to bits for you!
I second Kev&Sarah, nice to hear a happy ending.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well done guys-certainly has gone fast. We WILL get down your way soon and have a look at the veggie patch.

Lee & Vicki
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are doing well here. I hope the next year is just as good for you!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:02 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Planty,
your first year done and it all sounds as if its going great, Well-done to you all, keep it up.
I long for the day I can give a post to say the same, maybe oneday.

Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember following your posts from UK, cos I had applied for a job in Timaru.
Glad to hear everything is going well & that you're all settled.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:37 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Debbie
Congratulations on your first years anniversary - all sound brilliant - well done you! Karma for your happiness and positive story!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Debbie
Hi Debbie, we want to move out most of the men in our family are working in construction. Im a bit nervous about moving but know its got to be done.
I looked on the map and your on south island how is it compared to he north island in respect to the weather and work opportunities. Did it take you long from start to finish with the application etc . any info debbie would help. thanks . Linda
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bird family
Hi Debbie, we want to move out most of the men in our family are working in construction. Im a bit nervous about moving but know its got to be done.
I looked on the map and your on south island how is it compared to he north island in respect to the weather and work opportunities. Did it take you long from start to finish with the application etc . any info debbie would help. thanks . Linda
Hi Linda,
Can't tell you anything about the North Island I'm afraid - we haven't ventured that far yet, although it's on out "to do" list!! We didn't do a recce first; we did lots of research, talked to lots of people (particularly on this site), and in the end we just felt that Timaru would be the place for us. So far, we haven't been disappointed!
Going for PR was all sorted in about a year; selling the house in the UK was the bit that took the longest, and gave us the most stress :curse:
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like people in construction are always in demand. Check with Wiz'n'Ton - he's much more knowledgeable than me!
It's a big leap, Linda, but we're glad we did it, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy whichever bit of NZ you decide to call home!
Best wishes,
Debbie.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you all!!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:09 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PLANTY

Its always great to hear a happy ending, I hope thats us in another 8 months time
Originally Posted by Macd
I second Kev&Sarah, nice to hear a happy ending.

More like a happy beginning

Glad all is going well.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

pauliz will become famous soon enoughpauliz will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on your first NZ anniversary in Timaru
Hubby and I wanted to go to Timaru as we had visited there on holiday and I had the opportunity of job in the hospital.However after doing loads of research and having my heart set on the place, we learned job opportunities for OH would be miniscule.
Now were off to Tauranga as soon as our visas come through,not Timaru but at least it begins with T
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

starfish has a spectacular aura aboutstarfish has a spectacular aura aboutstarfish has a spectacular aura about

Hi Planty,
I have just joined the forum. My family and I are hoping to move to Timaru in Feb. Would love to know what schools you would recommend in and around Timaru. My children are aged 6 and 4. Am I right in thinking that they can't start school until their 5th birthday.

Have been going through moments of excitement and panic, but have to say after reading your threads feel a lot better!!! Glad all your experiences have been good. Oh yeah one last request from the children is their a swimming pool in Timaru? Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.