Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's been a while so here it is !

It's been a while so here it is !

Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:12 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's been a while so here it is !

Hi all,
It's been a bloody long time since i was on here but thought i'd give you a run down on how the first year has been.
Well, after finally arriving via LA (god forsaken place) we picked up our motorhome for our 4 week jaunt around north island. Now, picture this, Motorhome, me & Mrs Al the 4 wee little Al's plus our 13 bloody huge suitcases all stacked up in the back of said motorhome...how funny. Well, we ventured as far as Takapuna for our well deserved night and let the kids run riot on the beach before all crashing around 7.30. Next day drove up th Whangarei for a couple of nights before heading up to Bay of Islands for another few days, came back down and stayed at Orewa for a night before heading down to Rotorua, Taupo and on to Napier where i did some soul searching and tried to find my dad who had run off on the day i was born (was born on the beach in Napier!) but, to no avail, couldn't find anything relating to him at all, so, a bit down hearted we set off to Wellington, then up to New Plymouth, back up to Orewa where we had fallen for. Stayed at the campsite there for 3 more days and decided to look for rentals, went a bit over the top and rented us a bloody enormous house on the cliff over looking Stanmore Bay, awesome view and only 200mtrs to the beach. Kids settled into school really quickly and really enjoy it. I got myself a job working at Carters in the timber yard which was highly amusing considering i know diddly about timber. Sent in the application for the Fire Service, did the recruitment part and was successful in being accepted and was over the moon to be told that i didn't have to redo basic recruits course for 11 weeks, all i had to do was a 2 week conversion course. Am now stationed at Otahuhu (it's so nice !!!!! Not)...and have also started my own painting and decorating business up on the peninsula on my days off.
We bought ourselves a nice house in Manly which has a huge second lounge so we gave that to the kids as their playroom, now all i have to do is soundproof it and lock the door when they're in there !!!!

Life is pretty damn good, couldn't be in a better place, traffic sucks on way to and from work but the view of the city skyline as i come over the hill into North Shore makes it worth it.
Beaches are awesome, barbeques every week......even had stacks of neighbours and friends over for our 1st anniversary the other month to celebrate with us which was cool (and the fact that i managed to keep hold of Mrs Al for a whole year too !!).....

To anyone thinking of coming, take the jump, come on over, it really is beautiful and coming home was the best thing i ever did !!

Now that i'm back on here will be posting loads agin,

Speak to all soon...
Be safe, Be happy

Big Al.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:38 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a while so here it is !

That's such a lovely post. Congrats on your move back. Sounds like you're really enjoying life.

Can't believe we'll have been here a year soon too. Been here 9 months already and it's just flown by.

Look forward to hearing more from you
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:45 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

I could have written so much more. It really is the best thing we did, England was ruining everything, the job over there isn't what it used to be and it was just the right time to escape. The year flies past so quickly, even Boo (ameisha, my 3 year old) is in Kindy, has swimming lessons and even a better social life than us !

Al

Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post
Have some karma for that
Glad to hear you and yours are enjoying life here in New Zealand

Karen
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:03 am
Who me ?

Thanks, we're all lovin' it back here, so much so that we've got stacks of friends lined up coming over this year to see us and see why we love it so much !

Al

Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Nice one - glad it's working out for you and all the best for your second year
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

themoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant future

Gald its all going well, gives me some inspiration! Been here 6 weeks and going well so far!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:46 am
Who me ?

The inspiration i get is when i look out the window in the morning (or on my way home from a night shift) and realise that it's not a dream anymore....sure we struggle a bit with money some months but sod it, we are all so much happier and chilled out here (even though with my two jobs i'm doing near on 95-100 hours a week but i love that)

Al.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

notlob1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hi all,
It's been a bloody long time since i was on here but thought i'd give you a run down on how the first year has been.
Well, after finally arriving via LA (god forsaken place) we picked up our motorhome for our 4 week jaunt around north island. Now, picture this, Motorhome, me & Mrs Al the 4 wee little Al's plus our 13 bloody huge suitcases all stacked up in the back of said motorhome...how funny. Well, we ventured as far as Takapuna for our well deserved night and let the kids run riot on the beach before all crashing around 7.30. Next day drove up th Whangarei for a couple of nights before heading up to Bay of Islands for another few days, came back down and stayed at Orewa for a night before heading down to Rotorua, Taupo and on to Napier where i did some soul searching and tried to find my dad who had run off on the day i was born (was born on the beach in Napier!) but, to no avail, couldn't find anything relating to him at all, so, a bit down hearted we set off to Wellington, then up to New Plymouth, back up to Orewa where we had fallen for. Stayed at the campsite there for 3 more days and decided to look for rentals, went a bit over the top and rented us a bloody enormous house on the cliff over looking Stanmore Bay, awesome view and only 200mtrs to the beach. Kids settled into school really quickly and really enjoy it. I got myself a job working at Carters in the timber yard which was highly amusing considering i know diddly about timber. Sent in the application for the Fire Service, did the recruitment part and was successful in being accepted and was over the moon to be told that i didn't have to redo basic recruits course for 11 weeks, all i had to do was a 2 week conversion course. Am now stationed at Otahuhu (it's so nice !!!!! Not)...and have also started my own painting and decorating business up on the peninsula on my days off.
We bought ourselves a nice house in Manly which has a huge second lounge so we gave that to the kids as their playroom, now all i have to do is soundproof it and lock the door when they're in there !!!!

Life is pretty damn good, couldn't be in a better place, traffic sucks on way to and from work but the view of the city skyline as i come over the hill into North Shore makes it worth it.
Beaches are awesome, barbeques every week......even had stacks of neighbours and friends over for our 1st anniversary the other month to celebrate with us which was cool (and the fact that i managed to keep hold of Mrs Al for a whole year too !!).....

To anyone thinking of coming, take the jump, come on over, it really is beautiful and coming home was the best thing i ever did !!

Speak to all soon...
Be safe, Be happy

Big Al.
Wow what a compact blog, am also heading for north shore end of march and your experience sounds just up my street
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Many congrats Al! It's wonderful when everything just comes together so beautifully isn't it?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Speak to all soon...
Be safe, Be happy

Big Al.
That's a great post and it makes me feel really happy for you.

Of course the NZ lifestyle trade off is $$$ but long term I am sure you will be asset as well as lifestyle enriched.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:37 am
Who me ?

Thanks guy's
Just think it's nice to hear how everyone's doing etc....good to see the same ol' faces here plus new one's too.
This ol' one's back for good !

Big Al.

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:33 am
Who me ?

Originally Posted by Maz
Many congrats Al! It's wonderful when everything just comes together so beautifully isn't it?
Thanks Maz,
It's all just slotted into place perfectly !

Al.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

hi Al,
lovely post, it put a smile on my face. Glad all is "sweet as" for you and the family, long may it last.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guy's
Just think it's nice to hear how everyone's doing etc....good to see the same ol' faces here plus new one's too.
This ol' one's back for good !

Big Al.

Hiya m8ty glad to see you settled on the whanga' peninsula and glad that work is going well - know what you mean about Otahu - been to a couple of fires there myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.