Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Hi
Just to warn people whom are coming over make sure you have enough in that suitcase and extra funds just in case.
We said goodbye to our container the end of November 2010 and are still waiting for it s arrival
Apparently it s been around the world and they actually lost it at one point. Now we ve been told after several dates have gone that it will eventually arrive around the middle of March.
I don t no whether I should mention the company but if you pm me I shall be pleased to let you know as to avoid them.
Believe me it s caused a lot of stress living out of a suitcase for so long and having to buy things just to get by
Do your research with these company's and good luck
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:55 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

oh dear, give us a shout if you need some clean undies!

You'll laugh about it in about 5 years time, in the meantime I hope it arrives safely in March.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:25 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I´m not sure 12 weeks is so unusual, did you have a sole container and what timescales were you given? Ours was always phrased as 8-14 weeks IIRC but was delivered after 9 weeks elapsed (inc 10 days in clearing customs in Auckland).

I would say get exact dates, shipping lines work to precise schedules, if the container is booked on a certain ship it then arrives on time (much like airlines, if it leaves on time it generally arrives on time). "Middle of March" wouldn´t work for me at all, press them for the ships details it is on (then you can track the ship)....

We had to buy airbeds, pots etc but I don´t think anything extra would have kicked in then if it had been further delayed.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

We were told 6 to 8 weeks...
But the stress of them not knowing where the container was for 2 weeks was heart breaking and extremally worrying!
We were told it went to Mauritius by mistake and had been off loaded there and left for two weeks by the time they located it It is now in Sydney and they estimate it will be in Christchurch in March
If they had told us it could be longer we would of been more prepared , As my partner can t start work till it arrives.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:10 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
We were told 6 to 8 weeks...
I´m not sure 6 weeks is physically possible, UK to Singapore is roughly 4 weeks IIRC and Singapore to Auckland another 3, add in some time to cross ship and meet its connection and I think 8 weeks is about the minimum, plus clearence time.

Sounds like it may now be on the wrong side of a route, ie it has to go the long way around from Sydney to NZ via????

Shame he can´t work, assume his tools are in it? Can you hire and get the shipping Co to pay???

Make sure you expect (now if you didn´t before), roughly 7-10days to clear customs and be delivered even once the container has arrived in Auckland, if going direct to Chch then clearence time may be less, make sure they consider off-ship in Auckland then road to Chch...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Andyloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

We are having the exact opposite happen at the moment,as our container arrived today and they want to deliver it this friday,just 4 days from being offloaded from the ship.We have been told its passed customs clearance at sea and customs are coming to the property to check the items they have requested.If all goes to plan it will be 7 weeks from door to door.We were told 8-10 weeks minimum so only arrived in NZ 2 weeks ago and have been struggling to find a rental ready for us to move straight into this week,otherwise we faced huge charges for them to empty,store and redeliver the container.Its been really tough as there's such a rental shortage of decent properties and we'd have come over earlier if we'd have known this.We have been able to track the container online.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Our container arrived safely at the end of Oct after being packed in August, it then took until NYE to be delivered.

I can tell you camping out at home with just a couple of outdoor chairs soon lost its appeal.

Luckily we were able to buy the kitchen stuff we needed and were lent a bed, but I wonder if we had used the money we paid to ship to buy when we arrived if we would have been better off.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Try not to worry. We were told 10 weeks but it took 15. problem is we now wish we hadn't brought 3/4 of it as we'd learnt to live without it so most of it is still boxed up 6 months later
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

we waited 5 months for ours, was a total nightmare as we had rented an unfurnished place and slept on an air bed the whole time
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Can you guys not mention the name of the removals company on here? The most important element for me is actually the shipping line....avoid anyone using MSC is my advice!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:06 pm
It is what it is Member

We used Maersk, regular routes, just like an airline and they don't seem to lose stuff.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
Just to warn people whom are coming over make sure you have enough in that suitcase and extra funds just in case.
We said goodbye to our container the end of November 2010 and are still waiting for it s arrival
Apparently it s been around the world and they actually lost it at one point. Now we ve been told after several dates have gone that it will eventually arrive around the middle of March.
I don t no whether I should mention the company but if you pm me I shall be pleased to let you know as to avoid them.
Believe me it s caused a lot of stress living out of a suitcase for so long and having to buy things just to get by
Do your research with these company's and good luck
Jo hope you are ok!!! you did not have to buy stuff i could of helped you out, please just give me a call as now the docks are closed we may start to get some cold nights should you need more bedding, heaters act I can help you out. xxxx
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
I´m not sure 6 weeks is physically possible, UK to Singapore is roughly 4 weeks IIRC and Singapore to Auckland another 3, add in some time to cross ship and meet its connection and I think 8 weeks is about the minimum, plus clearence time.
Five to six weeks is very easily doable from UK into Auckland, ours went Southampton > Singapore > Auckland according to schedule in exactly 5 weeks.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice

Similar thing happened to us when we arrived a year ago. We were given and estimate of 6-8 weeks and had to wait for 15 or 16 weeks. We were living for at least a couple of months with the bare minimum of borrowed furniture.

We managed to get a tracking number and found that our container left the UK 2 weeks after we did and then headed north to Europe before heading back to the English channel. So, 3 and 1/2 weeks in and the container had managed to get back to the English Channel - arghh!!!!

Then it seemed to stop in at every port between UK and Australia. Talk about the slow boat!

And finally, when it reached Australia it arrived 1 day too late for the leg to NZ - they only send one boat a week! So the container sat on the dock for another week just waiting.

When it reached New Zealand we were then charged an additional $750 by the moving company for the pleasure of removing our goods for MAF inspection.

Thankfully it is all a distant memory now but it wasn't fun at the time.

Hang in there.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

Hi,
Ours left our home on the 29th November and i think left the uk on the 9th December and it arrived just over a week ago. It landed in Tauranga on the 11th and we recieved it on the 17th. So it shouldn't be too much longer for you. It's brilliant when it does arrived although it was strange going from a very empty house to boxes everywhere. We tracked the boat and the container on the internet so we knew where it was and when it had landed and then made sure we rang them so we got it delivered as soon as possible.
Hope you get that phone call soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.