Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its all over for us

Its all over for us

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future
Default Re: Its all over for us

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
Hi all.
I really do appreciate all the advice and concern everyone has shown so thank you all for that, it does make me feel better.

The company in question has 2 of the bosses that have made the move themselves so were well aware of what they were getting into with employing someone from overseas. Even the HR manager there was gobsmacked with their decision and cant believe it. The agency dealing with us are so disgusted with them they are considering not associating with them now. Its just been such a bad experience I dont think even if they offered Eric the job he would take it as there is no trust there now.

On a lighter note, Eric was approached by a company near where we live (in horticulture but not mushrooms) to help run one of their bedding plant nurseries. This would also entail Eric going to college part time to gain a qualification in horticulture so hopefully Eric will know on friday whether he has a new job.
Karen,

Just read your situation and also the caring replies. If you really want to emigrate, there are other ways around this. Firstly, why don't you both look into starting a business over in NZ - and it can be anything, and not just in the line of work that your OH does. What about a franchise? Look up franchise.co.nz and there are hundreds of businesses to chosse from. Yes you do have to have capital (which you could borrow an amount), but in purchasing a franchise, you get into NZ on a 2 year business visa, in that time you build the business up, demonstrate that you can support yourself, and hey presto, you get residency, then you can seel the business - if you want. That way, you get into NZ, be self-employed (2 fingers to those bosses) and acquire new skills.

He who dares!!! Best of luck
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:05 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kooga61
Mmmm... I'd like to say this is new to me, but it isn't! I'm afraid NZ employers have a bad habit of stringing people along, and then dumping them in it.

I had a friend who got a job, moved over with his family (after selling everything in the uk), to find out that his future new boss did'nt actually have a post for him after all. He was told he would be in charge of other tradesman, only to find it was a one man band outfit! He was told to come back in 6 month's and they should be ready for him......Bloody nerve!!! :curse:

Oh! just pop over to the other side of the world and we'll dick you around!!!
Anyway, luckily he was resourceful enough to make it alone.

I'm afraid, if there is only one company in NZ likely to employ your husband, and all his experience is in their field, his hopes are very slim. You can't just turn up and start a business. You need to convince emigration that you have the financial backing to do it, and remember NZ is a very small market, and the export market is struggling at present with the high NZ dollar.

I'm sorry to be so negative. I know what it's like to set your sights on NZ to have it taken away again. It happened to me three times, but I got here eventually (after 16 years!!!). So there is hope.
Good post. Been shafted a few times my self. But that happens here too as well as other countrys. People are people.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:39 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.
I really do appreciate all the advice and concern everyone has shown so thank you all for that, it does make me feel better.

The company in question has 2 of the bosses that have made the move themselves so were well aware of what they were getting into with employing someone from overseas. Even the HR manager there was gobsmacked with their decision and cant believe it. The agency dealing with us are so disgusted with them they are considering not associating with them now. Its just been such a bad experience I dont think even if they offered Eric the job he would take it as there is no trust there now.

On a lighter note, Eric was approached by a company near where we live (in horticulture but not mushrooms) to help run one of their bedding plant nurseries. This would also entail Eric going to college part time to gain a qualification in horticulture so hopefully Eric will know on friday whether he has a new job.

'As one door closes, another one opens'.........

Got everything crossed for you all xx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

it does feel like that and maybe its just not our time yet. If my hubby gets the job here in the UK and gets a qualification it will stand us in good stead to emigrate to NZ on our own merits and not on a job offer.

We both feel better today which is good and with the job offer pending it could be good news. Mind you I am still finding it hard to contribute to posts on this site, I dont know why but because we have failed it feels like I have no words of wisdom to offer anyone. Strange .

Who would have thought it, on monday we were devastated about losing a job and on friday in the same week we could be happy again and my hubby have a new job.

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
'As one door closes, another one opens'.........

Got everything crossed for you all xx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

it does feel like that and maybe its just not our time yet. If my hubby gets the job here in the UK and gets a qualification it will stand us in good stead to emigrate to NZ on our own merits and not on a job offer.

We both feel better today which is good and with the job offer pending it could be good news. Mind you I am still finding it hard to contribute to posts on this site, I dont know why but because we have failed it feels like I have no words of wisdom to offer anyone. Strange .

Who would have thought it, on monday we were devastated about losing a job and on friday in the same week we could be happy again and my hubby have a new job.
Hi Karen,
Good for you guys for already starting to look forward again!
I have to say I truely felt sickend to read your original post. It really must have been a shocking experience for you to have gone through and I am not at all surprised to hear that you are struggling to put anything on here to help anyone else. IMO - Worry about that one later! If it works for you, just use the site to help you get through. I know when all our plans completely change earlier this year, it was so lovely to hear back from everyone, especially when you hear from others that are in the same position.
Anyway, enough from me. I just wanted to say that you're brilliant to already be looking forward to being positive again.
Cheers, LL.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Eric was approached by a company near where we live (in horticulture but not mushrooms) to help run one of their bedding plant nurseries. This would also entail Eric going to college part time to gain a qualification in horticulture so hopefully Eric will know on friday whether he has a new job.
I like the sound of this. More strings to his bow gives him wider opportunities when you get here to NZ.

Mind you I am still finding it hard to contribute to posts on this site, I dont know why but because we have failed it feels like I have no words of wisdom to offer anyone
You haven't failed, the employer failed you :curse: & you have the wisdom behind your experiences to contribute here if you feel like it.

If it works for you, just use the site to help you get through.
Absol-blummin-lutely. We'll all be wanting to follow your progress. I've seen people start to post to NZ forums and its taken 'em two or three years to triumph and finally arrive. Big forum party when thats your turn .
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:17 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I like the sound of this. More strings to his bow gives him wider opportunities when you get here to NZ.

You haven't failed, the employer failed you :curse: & you have the wisdom behind your experiences to contribute here if you feel like it.

Absol-blummin-lutely. We'll all be wanting to follow your progress. I've seen people start to post to NZ forums and its taken 'em two or three years to triumph and finally arrive. Big forum party when thats your turn .

Spot on post. Totally agree in every way. Use this site to help yourself and others. That's what it is for. And glad you feel better. In a few days you will change and be stronger and more determined.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Again thanks to all, we are both smiling now and looking forward to friday to see if Eric definately gets this other job. We are just holding out to find out about the salary, so if all is good there then he will have a new job and the chance to get a qualification to help us with our chances for NZ in the future.
Will let those who are interested know tomorrow
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Ha...I think it goes without saying, we are all interested. Keep us up to speed and the very best of luck.

But hurry up and get Eric qualified otherwise there won't be mushroom left!!! haha
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

So sorry to hear about your turn down i am in a similar predicament but i can't seem to get a working visa even with a job offer with an accredited employer and my job is in the 'immediate skills shortage' list.

My medicals are due to run out next week and i don't know whether this is going to happen or not, the employer has gone quiet now and it all seems too quiet, it's slipping away.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craigy123
So sorry to hear about your turn down i am in a similar predicament but i can't seem to get a working visa even with a job offer with an accredited employer and my job is in the 'immediate skills shortage' list.

My medicals are due to run out next week and i don't know whether this is going to happen or not, the employer has gone quiet now and it all seems too quiet, it's slipping away.
Hope it works out for you - cyber hug and karma coming your way!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Flip What is the NZIS case officer saying then?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Hope it works out for you - cyber hug and karma coming your way!
Thanks so do i. just called the employer waiting for a call back or email , nothing so far, looking bad.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Flip What is the NZIS case officer saying then?
didn't get that far they turned it down twice i have posted elsewhere why i'll copy it here:

Immigration office in london lost my enclosed accreditation, chest x-ray and pathology blood test results, i sent the second time (always signed delivery) to see if they were being processed or were indeed lost, unfortunately it was the latter.

Also the employment offer didn't state the full amount in $ what the job was paying, even though if they worked out the $/hour x 40hrs x 52 weeks they would have found it to be over the required $45k/year.

Also the employer requires me to be registered with the EWRB (electrical workers registration board) this can be done once in NZ , though immigration were not having it, even though i know for fact this is not necessary i have heard from numerous in my trade they are only requesting because the employer stated in the job offer. ( the irony is i was meant to be there 11th of this month in auckland for this very course)

My medicals run out next week.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:10 am

Thanks so do i. just called the employer waiting for a call back or email , nothing so far, looking bad.
Sorry to hear this. Sounds like me with a unactivated PR. Time will tell on that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.