Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's all gone pear shaped!

It's all gone pear shaped!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:06 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default It's all gone pear shaped!

The house sale, not me. I'm definitely more like an orange.

Should have exchanged on the 2nd Sept originally, then our solicitor informed us we could do it on the 26th August. So off we went all excited. Then we found out buyer (let's call her D, fill in the rest of the letters as you wish) needed some further questions answered. So we did. But we couldn't exchange until they'd received them in writing, which our solicitor did by the 31st. So we're back to exchanging on the 2nd. Which we didn't. We've signed our bit, so it's just a case of D signing her bit. Her solicitor is happy with all the responses and has written to her (she received it 1st Sept by recorded delivery according to her sols), telling her to make the appt to sign. So far, no show. Even if she couldn't get the time off to do the appt, if you were buying, wouldn't you at least arrange it!?

Our estate agents have been brilliant, have been chasing her, leaving messages etc. No response whatsoever.

On 11th July we asked the estate agent to ring D to ask her to come round to see what she wanted leaving in the house, gratis, so we would fill in solicitors forms accordingly. We're talking fridge, freezer, washing machine, wall mounted hand vac, etc, and we're happy to leave them all as they all fit nicely, plus garden furniture, and she has offered asking price. Message was passed on, no response. We've left two more messages along the same lines, one saying that we needed to put things up for sale so it was quite urgent, and also if she wanted first refusal on the things we were selling, such as beds, we could do that. Again, no response. Nothing, nada, zilch, zippedy. Nearly 2 months and not one contact made.

If we don't exchange this week we lose our flights, and possibly the rental property we've got held for the first month, maybe even the unfurnished house we're renting as they will want the bond if they're going to let it to us. And worse, the kids don't get to start at their new school on time.

I'd do a poll if I knew how. Is this woman (a) very shy and easily intimidated, (b) very naive in thinking she can take her own sweet time on everything, or (c) cunningly waiting for me to have kittens then going to reduce the price at the last minute knowing she's got me over a barrel.

Hubby has had to hand in notice as they want him on the interview panel for his job. My employer's being brilliant about it all, but I feel awful not being able to give him a definite date.

Extremely peed off.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:45 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's all gone pear shaped!

Originally Posted by bookemjano

Should have exchanged on the 2nd Sept originally, then our solicitor informed us we could do it on the 26th August. So off we went all excited. Then we found out buyer (let's call her D, fill in the rest of the letters as you wish) needed some further questions answered. So we did. But we couldn't exchange until they'd received them in writing, which our solicitor did by the 31st. So we're back to exchanging on the 2nd. Which we didn't. We've signed our bit, so it's just a case of D signing her bit. Her solicitor is happy with all the responses and has written to her (she received it 1st Sept by recorded delivery according to her sols), telling her to make the appt to sign. So far, no show. Even if she couldn't get the time off to do the appt, if you were buying, wouldn't you at least arrange it!?

Our estate agents have been brilliant, have been chasing her, leaving messages etc. No response whatsoever.

On 11th July we asked the estate agent to ring D to ask her to come round to see what she wanted leaving in the house, gratis, so we would fill in solicitors forms accordingly. We're talking fridge, freezer, washing machine, wall mounted hand vac, etc, and we're happy to leave them all as they all fit nicely, plus garden furniture, and she has offered asking price. Message was passed on, no response. We've left two more messages along the same lines, one saying that we needed to put things up for sale so it was quite urgent, and also if she wanted first refusal on the things we were selling, such as beds, we could do that. Again, no response. Nothing, nada, zilch, zippedy. Nearly 2 months and not one contact made.

If we don't exchange this week we lose our flights, and possibly the rental property we've got held for the first month, maybe even the unfurnished house we're renting as they will want the bond if they're going to let it to us. And worse, the kids don't get to start at their new school on time.

I'd do a poll if I knew how. Is this woman (a) very shy and easily intimidated, (b) very naive in thinking she can take her own sweet time on everything, or (c) cunningly waiting for me to have kittens then going to reduce the price at the last minute knowing she's got me over a barrel.

Hubby has had to hand in notice as they want him on the interview panel for his job. My employer's being brilliant about it all, but I feel awful not being able to give him a definite date.

Extremely peed off.
Gawd Jan, I can understand you being peed off! What a nightmare, couldn't you just slap some people! Hope she gets in touch soon, you must be climbing the walls.

Thinking of you, Debbie.....I have sent you a PM!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:11 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Jan, you poor thing, I hope you get this sorted (and quickly!!)...

Here's what you should do and this is where your solicitor should be earning his money!!

Ring your solicitor and tell him that you want to see him asap, agree a time preferably for this afternoon, pack yourself some sandwiches and a big flask of coffee, get your biggest book and head off to your solicitors office.

When you get to his office assume the 'I'll be here until this is sorted out one way or another' position and just at the point where he starts to bluster that it could take some time, pull out your tupperware of butties and pour yourself a cup of coffee and tell him "not to worry, you've come prepared to wait as long as it takes for him to get onto your buyers solicitor and for someone to establish contact with her and get the paperwork sorted tout suite"(?sp)...whilst licking your finger and flicking to the first page in your very big hardback book...

Seriously Jan, that is exactly what your solicitor should be doing right now and I would be sat on his shoulder making sure that he did it too - that's what you are paying him for...I get really riled by solicitors not pulling their fingers out when buyers start p*ss*ng sellers about - and this is too important to be left any longer...

Fingers crossed for you and get in there and kick some *ss Jan!!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:57 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Jan, you poor thing, I hope you get this sorted (and quickly!!)...

Here's what you should do and this is where your solicitor should be earning his money!!

Ring your solicitor and tell him that you want to see him asap, agree a time preferably for this afternoon, pack yourself some sandwiches and a big flask of coffee, get your biggest book and head off to your solicitors office.

When you get to his office assume the 'I'll be here until this is sorted out one way or another' position and just at the point where he starts to bluster that it could take some time, pull out your tupperware of butties and pour yourself a cup of coffee and tell him "not to worry, you've come prepared to wait as long as it takes for him to get onto your buyers solicitor and for someone to establish contact with her and get the paperwork sorted tout suite"(?sp)...whilst licking your finger and flicking to the first page in your very big hardback book...

Seriously Jan, that is exactly what your solicitor should be doing right now and I would be sat on his shoulder making sure that he did it too - that's what you are paying him for...I get really riled by solicitors not pulling their fingers out when buyers start p*ss*ng sellers about - and this is too important to be left any longer...

Fingers crossed for you and get in there and kick some *ss Jan!!!
Tee hee. Shall indulge in a hot curry tonight to make my visit to the solicitors even more memorable.

Somebody's fibbing and we don't know who. Our solicitor says one thing, theirs says another. Ours is 5' 1", with a 6 inch ponytail and a huge diamond earring. He doesn't speak to women, whenever me or the estate agent (a lady) ring we don't get put through or get a call back but when hubby rings he gets straight through, even if it's 2 mins after I've left a message. He rolled his eyes and checked his watch when I wouldn't sign until I'd read the whole document.

Last thing I want to do before leaving that house is swing said little-man-solicitor round by his ponytail and shove his earring where he'll really feel the bling!

Lesson learnt - don't engage a solicitor over the phone.

We've left yet another message for D to call us. If she doesn't do that by Wednesday and no further progress has been made we'll be leaving another one saying we're accepting viewings again. For authenticity, a friend is ringing the agents asking to view. Oh, the games we have to play!

We've also stopped all the little jobs on the house (such as touching up paintwork, looking after plants, regrouting the tiles) until she's exchanged, if she pays the full price as agreed we'll do them before we go, otherwise she can do them herself. We've arranged for all the carpets to be cleaned, that can be cancelled as well. And as for the ants nest that seems to be appearing ........
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:46 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

I totally agree with the information given about keeping on your solicitors shoulder. The last time I had dealings with one, I also sat in his waiting room all morning and when I eventually got into his office it took an age for him to find my file because there was paperwork everywhere. He was sick of the sight of me but when I pay for a service I expect a certain amount of "value for money". Eventually things worked out.
Whilst sitting in the waiting room that morning I read a leaflet on "how to complain" if you think your solicitor has not provided a reasonable service. You can request a leaflet at any solicitors or citizens advice bureau. I formally wrote to him explaining, in depth, my misgivings and that I was thinking of reporting the matter to the Solicitors Ombudsman. I received a partial refund for the services I had paid for. ( Guilt money...?)
Please don't think that all solicitors are the same.( Don't want to be a target for all solicitors :scared: ) In the past, when I lived elsewhere, I received some excellent services in this field.

Just remember YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER !! YOU ARE PAYING FOR A SERVICE!
Hope it all works out for you.

Keep smiling
Taff
Old Sep 5th 2005, 4:01 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Jan, does your buyer know your situation i.e. leaving the country etc?? I'm presuming that she does and if so, I feel a bit of a squeeze coming on and would suggest the following courses of action ...

Option 1. Do nowt, sit tight and, if she tries to hit you with a lower offer at the final minute, make a decision whether or not to accept it at the time or decide to put your house back on the market and begin the merry-go-round once again...if you can afford to take a lower offer this could be an option but who wants to take less than they've been offered initially - not me that's for sure and this is where option B comes into play...

Option 2. Otherwise known as option B (for b*ll*xs coz you're gonna need some to go for this option!!) You ring your solicitors and her solicitors as soon as you can and advise them that as the date for completion has passed with no contact or explanation you must insist that completion takes place by the end of business on 6th September or the house will be going back on the market on 7th September. No reduced offers will be entertained and you will not be messed around any longer. Time is of the essence blah, blah...etc.

I still say taking up residence in your solicitors office is a good idea (especially if he is anti-female - I would be tempted to take some friends along and have a bit of a coffee morning - that should drive him into some sort of action!!)

You are paying your solicitor good money to act on your behalf and in your best interests - time he started earning it methinks...

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Sep 5th 2005 at 4:04 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:47 pm

We've never been given D's contact details, and we can't have them unless she says so and seeing as she's not returning anyone's calls I put my Miss Marple head on and found out her address, amazing what you can do for free on the internet .....

Had a drive past, hoping to see her and stop and say something about the situation. What we saw was a lovely house, really well kept, in the middle of a terraced row, with several others boarded up and one with six kids, none of them older than 18, most of them with babies or toddlers hanging off them sitting in and around the doorway of one of the other houses where it looks as if one of them lives. One of the houses (not D's) was playing that really awful loud music, the kind with no rhythym just noise and a thumping base. Her house stood out like a sore thumb, with its clean windows, tended rosebushes and pretty curtains.

My heart went out to her, imagine living in that environment. All right, she should be returning my calls and the plan to get stern with her still stands if she doesn't pull her finger out, but something tells me she's desperate to get out of there and is just naive in thinking the solicitors and estate agents should be handling it all so is leaving it all up to them.

So I have come up with a cunning plan - my daughter goes to the same school as hers so I've written a cheery little note to be passed on via the daughters, telling her that we have everything provisionally booked and that the kids may lose their school places if she doesn't make the appointment to exchange soon, so I would really appreciate her organising it so the kids can start their new life properly. All my budgets have allowed for them reducing the offer at the last minute, so I'm prepared for that, the important thing is to get her to sign. Here's hoping - please keep everything you can crossed for me that it happens soon.

Oh, and the oven's packed up. Lovely jubbly.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:24 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds terrible Jan hope you manage to get in touch with her soon
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Extremely peed off.

I have vowed not to tell the estate agents or potential buyers that we are moving abroad. I have a fear that the potential buyer could leave things untill the last minute and then insist that the price is reduced. My agents no nothing of our move, we have told them that we have another property that we can move into so there is no chain (we dont realy) but the less they know the better.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:58 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to be a recurring pattern with regard to selling up and moving abroad what with Biddy's experiences and now yours Jan. I don't know what to say apart from repeating the suggestion I made to Biddy about putting frozen prawns in the curtain pole Phew!! My heart goes out to you, you must have enough anxieties. I'd send you some karma but I think I need to spread. I'm sure all the other home owning future expats are learning from these experiences.

Phyl
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:29 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Jan, just read this, really hope everything gets sorted out for you. I feel you are doing the right thing by trying to sort it out yourself in a friendly way. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. {{hugs}}
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Our house sell fell through before we moved out here so we just left it on the market. We gave our power of attorney (just to sign the contracts, nothing more) to another solicitor from a completely different area. Our estate agent knew we were emigrating but we made it very clear that we weren't in a rush to sell as we planned to rent for some time over here, so we would not accept any offers. We got here in October and the house sold, for full asking price, in early January. It was a bit of a bummer having to continue mortgage payments until it sold, but this was more than made up for by not having to reduce the price.

Once we had a new buyer our original solicitor put all the paperwork together (we'd already filled in all the forms before we left, for the sell that fell through) and once we were satisfied (all done through email) we instructed the second solicitor to sign.

Now we just need the NZ$ to drop from the stupid levels it is sitting at so we can bring the proceeds from the sell over. Meanwhile it is sat in our Nationwide savings account with no tax on the interest, and we will continue renting. No problem. BTW the second solicitor cost £120.

Cheers,
John
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:57 am

Thanks for all your messages, they're really appreciated.

It's now Wednesday, and not much further on in the process. Our sol maintains it's D's sol that's the problem and that they should be chasing her, so we've told him to chase them until they get a result. The estate agent finally got a call returned from her who said she was definitely going ahead, had just begun looking at removal companies (with only 3 weeks to go! Is she crazy?) and didn't want anything from the house. She could have told us that two months ago couldn't she.

So at least we've had some sign that it's still on track, unfortunately she's not one to move quickly so we're still waiting for her to let the estate agent know she's booked the appointment for exchanging.

I came home from work on Monday feeling pretty ropey, then the oven packed up, by Tuesday I felt like I'd been steam rollered. Huge headache and sickness, which is still going on today. I'm normally a very positive person but this has just wellied me. Too sick, too distracted and too wound up to go into work, though in truth I've only been there in body and not in mind for the past few weeks anyway so they may be glad of the break!

Daughter has taken the note to school today to pass on, let's see if that does something.

We have to pay for flights by next Wednesday or we lose them. If it's not sorted out by then I don't know what we'll do because we just can't get any other flights that we can afford before completion.

When we do get to NZ I want to buy a house and stay in it forever, I don't think I could face selling another house ever again.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:41 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your messages, they're really appreciated.

It's now Wednesday, and not much further on in the process. Our sol maintains it's D's sol that's the problem and that they should be chasing her, so we've told him to chase them until they get a result. The estate agent finally got a call returned from her who said she was definitely going ahead, had just begun looking at removal companies (with only 3 weeks to go! Is she crazy?) and didn't want anything from the house. She could have told us that two months ago couldn't she.

So at least we've had some sign that it's still on track, unfortunately she's not one to move quickly so we're still waiting for her to let the estate agent know she's booked the appointment for exchanging.

I came home from work on Monday feeling pretty ropey, then the oven packed up, by Tuesday I felt like I'd been steam rollered. Huge headache and sickness, which is still going on today. I'm normally a very positive person but this has just wellied me. Too sick, too distracted and too wound up to go into work, though in truth I've only been there in body and not in mind for the past few weeks anyway so they may be glad of the break!

Daughter has taken the note to school today to pass on, let's see if that does something.

We have to pay for flights by next Wednesday or we lose them. If it's not sorted out by then I don't know what we'll do because we just can't get any other flights that we can afford before completion.

When we do get to NZ I want to buy a house and stay in it forever, I don't think I could face selling another house ever again.
Aw Jan I don't know what to say to you. You sound so stressed out and worried. Words won't help much, but they do mean a lot and all I can say is we are ALL thinking of you and wishing everything to sort itself out as soon as.

It must be so hard not to tell people your emigrating but if this is the trick some people play then I think I'll be keeping pretty quiet.

All my dangly bits crossed for you (not a pretty sight), hope you come back with good news soon.

Debbie xx
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: It's all gone pear shaped!

Very very best of luck.
We too have had more than our fair share of bad luck in getting sorted prior to move to NZ. House sales was just one thing..........
Getting there slowly we think.You will too.

Its the frustration of not being in control (IMHO)

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.