Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's all going so quickly - any thoughts Sockburn ChCh please?

It's all going so quickly - any thoughts Sockburn ChCh please?

Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all
Default It's all going so quickly - any thoughts Sockburn ChCh please?

I've woke up to numerous email's this morning with a congrat's we're happy to offer you employment, job offer to follow within a few day's, then 10 min's later a phonecall from Westpac (pronunciation of my name is funny... "elleenn") about setting up a bank account, then another PSS removal's as I was looking into getting my tool's over last night.

I think by end of next week I'l have everything barring a maori tattoo

exciting times
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all going so quickly

Originally Posted by alan83
I've woke up to numerous email's this morning with a congrat's we're happy to offer you employment, job offer to follow within a few day's, then 10 min's later a phonecall from Westpac (pronunciation of my name is funny... "elleenn") about setting up a bank account, then another PSS removal's as I was looking into getting my tool's over last night.

I think by end of next week I'l have everything barring a maori tattoo

exciting times
congratulations.... where you heading to?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
congratulations.... where you heading to?
christchurch by the looks of things
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

Congrats, we're also moving to Christchurch in April.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Congrats and well done Alan83.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Congrats and well done Alan83.
Thanks Bevs.

On another subject does anyone know what the area of sockburn is like??....seen a nice little lodging house there that would suit me just right
Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan83
Thanks Bevs.

On another subject does anyone know what the area of sockburn is like??....seen a nice little lodging house there that would suit me just right
Best avoided I think!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all going so quickly - any thoughts Sockburn ChCh please?

Some friends of mine have bought near the racecourse and seem pretty happy there.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Best avoided I think!

think you may need to expand on that
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Some friends of mine have bought near the racecourse and seem pretty happy there.
Thats where this lodge is ive seen, looks a decent tidy area
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Best avoided I think!
Especially for those that play the walk across coal game with socks on

Bit industrial and means naivgating the famous Main South Road/Blenheim Road roundabout or attempting to turn right onto Yaldhurst Road but bar that, it's an ok area

Racecourse hotel is a decent boozer with some nice grub - you're by the racecourse for market days every Sunday and easy access to go south or west.

We've got some friends there who are happy where they are.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
think you may need to expand on that
We have a lot of thefts when working in Sockburn District Sub, however Middlepark Rd is nice and so are some of the other parts.

To the OP, I drive around Chch all day so if you have an actual address I can do a driveby and see what the immediate area is like.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

We have a lot of thefts when working in Sockburn District Sub, however Middlepark Rd is nice and so are some of the other parts.

To the OP, I drive around Chch all day so if you have an actual address I can do a driveby and see what the immediate area is like.
The place I've seen is called Wigram Lodge it's on Sioux Ave, up by the racecourse by the looks of the map
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Wigrams not a bad area and new housing there Wigram Skies....

Sockburn is alright as well, theres much worse areas. There may be thefts but unfortunately that is becoming more common all over Chch, take normal precautions and you won't go far wrong.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

I have relatively little experience of Wigram (where Sioux Ave is) but I have heard good things about it - Wigram Skies and the Air Force Museum are starters, plus there is a good brewery there who sell their wares at the Riccarton Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings. The land is also better out west in seismic terms. It is industrial over there, but not in a bad way and you have great connections out of town in every direction since you are close to SH1 and the Southern Motorway.

As for Sockburn I really don't know the streets, but the roads around it and through Riccarton get pretty busy.