British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   It's all been worth it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-all-been-worth-626758/)

Wooly_Cow Aug 20th 2009 9:43 pm

It's all been worth it!

I just wanted to share with anyone considering emigrating to New Zealand, and facing some very tough choices, our experiences over the last year or so.

After thinking about, and planning (in my OH’s case) returning ‘down under’ for 14 years…..yes 14 years! We finally got the opportunity in March 2008. (another long story)

The challenge was having taken so long we now had 4 children and a fat cat to consider. The kids were all very happy in England and doing very well at their respective schools. It seemed very selfish of us to uproot them and take them to the other-side of the planet and yet we knew that it was the right thing to do for them as well as us (again lots of reasons why).

The practical difficulty was that the eldest was a year away from completing her ‘A’ levels. She was doing really well and wanted to go to a UK university afterwards. After some emotional debate, we decided that I (the Dad) would start my job in Wellington in August 2008, and the rest of the family would rent a little house near Reading, whilst my DD did her final year.

The year apart was the hardest thing I think we’ve all ever done but I made loads of really good friends in one of the most marvellous cities in the world and to my OH massive credit, she and the kids held it together, and stayed strong for the whole year.

A few weeks ago I went back to the UK to pick them all up, and after a very tearful and hard goodbye to family and friends, particularly for our eldest son who had to say goodbye to his girlfriend, we finally all made it down to New Zealand…

To be honest over the first days and weeks I wondered if the family would settle BUT (and it’s early days still of course) finally over the last week or so we are living the life we dreamed of…..I am particularly proud of my OH who has adapted really well and ‘stolen’ my friends (not really but she gets on so well with them sometimes I wonder!) , my youngest two, love their schools despite the huge changes and getting here mid way through the year….but especially for the eldest two who have had to put up with a huge change at a very difficult time for them. My son has made friends, is very popular and is doing really well at school catching up – I was so happy and proud when I attended a music concert of his recently….and my DD, well she just got her exam results last night …….4 ‘A’s ! and a place at Bristol Uni…. Of course we love her and will miss her very much and even if she hadn’t done so well that wouldn’t have changed BUT

……all the hard work and tears were worth it! ….and the year apart ….seems like a dream now.

….and the Fat Cat …..well he is happy sunning himself on the ‘dick’

:)

PS Sorry to my OH - who will die of embarrassment but I wanted to share that although moving to NZ is one of the toughest things you can do….by staying strong for each other things will work out for the best.

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 21st 2009 5:42 am

Re: It's all been worth it!

Thanks for sharing WC. You sound like you have an amazing family. You are a lucky guy. Congratulations to your daughter on great A level results, what will she be reading at Bristol?

Keep us updated on how things go please:thumbsup:

Wooly_Cow Aug 21st 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7862967)
what will she be reading at Bristol?

Psychology - she's trying to figure out why her parents abandoned her to emigrate to New Zealand :D

Rosiesue Aug 21st 2009 7:49 am

I would say you are very unselfish parents, spending a year apart to do the best by your kids. :thumbup:

Well done on getting through a tricky year. I'm glad it's all working out for you now and hope that your family all settle happily here.

Dewb09 Aug 21st 2009 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 7861800)
I just wanted to share with anyone considering emigrating to New Zealand, and facing some very tough choices, our experiences over the last year or so.

After thinking about, and planning (in my OH’s case) returning ‘down under’ for 14 years…..yes 14 years! We finally got the opportunity in March 2008. (another long story)

The challenge was having taken so long we now had 4 children and a fat cat to consider. The kids were all very happy in England and doing very well at their respective schools. It seemed very selfish of us to uproot them and take them to the other-side of the planet and yet we knew that it was the right thing to do for them as well as us (again lots of reasons why).

The practical difficulty was that the eldest was a year away from completing her ‘A’ levels. She was doing really well and wanted to go to a UK university afterwards. After some emotional debate, we decided that I (the Dad) would start my job in Wellington in August 2008, and the rest of the family would rent a little house near Reading, whilst my DD did her final year.

The year apart was the hardest thing I think we’ve all ever done but I made loads of really good friends in one of the most marvellous cities in the world and to my OH massive credit, she and the kids held it together, and stayed strong for the whole year.

A few weeks ago I went back to the UK to pick them all up, and after a very tearful and hard goodbye to family and friends, particularly for our eldest son who had to say goodbye to his girlfriend, we finally all made it down to New Zealand…

To be honest over the first days and weeks I wondered if the family would settle BUT (and it’s early days still of course) finally over the last week or so we are living the life we dreamed of…..I am particularly proud of my OH who has adapted really well and ‘stolen’ my friends (not really but she gets on so well with them sometimes I wonder!) , my youngest two, love their schools despite the huge changes and getting here mid way through the year….but especially for the eldest two who have had to put up with a huge change at a very difficult time for them. My son has made friends, is very popular and is doing really well at school catching up – I was so happy and proud when I attended a music concert of his recently….and my DD, well she just got her exam results last night …….4 ‘A’s ! and a place at Bristol Uni…. Of course we love her and will miss her very much and even if she hadn’t done so well that wouldn’t have changed BUT

……all the hard work and tears were worth it! ….and the year apart ….seems like a dream now.

….and the Fat Cat …..well he is happy sunning himself on the ‘dick’

:)

PS Sorry to my OH - who will die of embarrassment but I wanted to share that although moving to NZ is one of the toughest things you can do….by staying strong for each other things will work out for the best.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :thumbsup: So pleased it has all been worth the journey, very tough being apart for a year for the good of your family, very tough choices.

Well done to your daughter great results :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Will she follow you out one day?. I have older children staying here & cannot imagine what it will be like to leave them behind (dreading it :( )

Cat sounds like it has adapted very well to life ;)

Thanks again

Dewb

MnB Aug 21st 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for telling your tale..... so glad you're all together again now, and although your daughter will be coming to UK at least she's had a taste of NZ and knows that her family are happy there .... what a fantastic experience for her before starting uni .... congrats to her on brill grades, I'm sure she will enjoy Bristol!
Best wishes wooly cow family ...long may you prosper in NZ!
B x

127luton Aug 21st 2009 4:09 pm

Wooly Cow -

Thanks for sharing that! - it must have been horrible for the yr - but what a great family for getting through it all!
The best of luck for you and your family and your new life together in NZ!
Your daughter is a clever young lady - Well done!

Love Berni
xx:D

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 22nd 2009 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 7863143)
Psychology - she's trying to figure out why her parents abandoned her to emigrate to New Zealand :D

LOL:thumbup: Hope she enjoys the course.

Am Loolah Aug 22nd 2009 6:31 am

Great to hear your story, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: Wonderful to have it all come together in the end.:wub:

Wooly_Cow Aug 22nd 2009 10:09 am

Thanks for all the great replies. Things really wouldn't have worked out so well without all our friends including the 'virtual' ones :)

Bellasmum Aug 22nd 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 7866463)
Thanks for all the great replies. Things really wouldn't have worked out so well without all our friends including the 'virtual' ones :)

Best wishes to you and your family WC. I must say I admire the positive way you seem to have considered what was in the best interests of all of your family.

May your new life bring you all you deserve.

willand tina_h Aug 22nd 2009 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 7866571)
Best wishes to you and your family WC. I must say I admire the positive way you seem to have considered what was in the best interests of all of your family.

May your new life bring you all you deserve.

Wow, great inspiration!!! Good luck and all the best, well done DD :wub:

Tomsk Aug 23rd 2009 2:31 am

Wow, thanks so much for sharing that, I'm so pleased that your family (and Cat) are settling so well. Last year we were in a similar situation to you in that hubby needed to come over here to start his job in Feb 08, but we decided that I should stay in the UK with the children to get DS through his GCSEs & we followed him out in June 08. That was only 4 months, and it was hard, so I can barely imagine how tough an entire year must have been. Respect to the whole Wooly Cow family for making it work :thumbup:
Congratulations to your daughter too, what a fabulous achievement and I hope that she loves university life.

Persephone Aug 23rd 2009 3:30 am

Great to hear you're getting on so well and that it's all worked out well in the end.
Congratulations on your daughter's results. Bristol is a fantastic place to spend your university years at. Only the best go to Bristol Uni!:D;)

teena Aug 31st 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 7863143)

Thanks for making me smile. We have waited until my daughter had completed her GCSE's in June and are moving to NZ in October. We are taking her away from her boyfriend of two years (dreading the goodbyes). The only way she is coming with us is the promise of her attending Uni in the UK in the future!!!

Would love to know how your daughter gets on - please keep us posted.

Tina