Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

IRRV What does it really mean??

IRRV What does it really mean??

Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:40 am
Just Joined

rach1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRRV What does it really mean??

Hi we are Brits and have been living in this heavenly country for 7 years!! Due to family we are looking at re locating to Canada, so my question, we are on a IRRV as I understand that it means as long as you keep your passport up to date the visa is transferable where ever we renew our passports? Am I correct in thinking that and in also thinking we could leave for 10 years and then come back?
We could apply for citizenship I know this but would feel abit rude doing that then off we pop ( so to speak ) We have always paid our dues and our intentions where never to leave, we even have have 2 little kiwis of our own!

We just do not want to cut our ties with NZ.

I would appreciate any advice, Thanks Rachel
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:55 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRRV What does it really mean??

I'm not too sure what the rules are as regards the 10 years you mention. At present your IRRV would apply you to come back to NZ and I think it is transferrable, but if Immigration change the rules at some point in the future wouldn't you have to start the process again? If it was me and returning to NZ in future was a possibility I'd go for citizenship and then you're guaranteed to be able to return whenever.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:20 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

There's really no definitive answer to this, because NZ immigration rules can always be changed

I'm pretty sure that, (as of now), once you have an IRRV its valid for ever, as long it is located in a valid passport. So obviously you will have to have it transfered to a your new passport when you get one.

So as far as I can see, you could leave NZ for 10 or even 20 years and still be allowed back in

Personally, I would apply for citizenship, just to be on the safe side

Best to check with Immigration, and remember that rules can always be changed.

Last edited by NakiMan; Oct 9th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice will contact immigration on Monday and see what they say? I thought if new changes are made though that they only apply to new applications? Thanks again!! so many things to think about!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 8:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach1978
Thanks for the advice will contact immigration on Monday and see what they say? I thought if new changes are made though that they only apply to new applications? Thanks again!! so many things to think about!!!!
The Government could make the rules apply to everyone if they wished. Immigration cannot make any promises as they have no knowledge or control over what Government and Parliament do.

Why did you not become New Zealand citizens long ago? You were eligible after 3 years, probably.

Are you even eligible for a Canadian immigration visa (it's not easy). Why not pause, take a breath, forget Canada for a while, get your NZ citizenship and then think about what options might or might not be available.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi yeah I know we could of applied years ago but there is 3 of us and $1200 is just such alot of money.

We want to be moved if its possible in the next 18 months as our eldest goes off to high school then so if we were to do the citizenship we would never achieve that goal as it takes up to 12 months to get!!

As far as Canada goes we should be eligible my partner is a skilled worker so as long as we get a job offer should be ok!

The reason for the move is my sister and her kids are over there we haven't seen each other for 6 years!!! We all have kids that haven't even met. Would love them to grow up together and Canada looks as beautiful an option as NZ!!!!

Thanks all x
Old Oct 10th 2009, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yeah I know we could of applied years ago but there is 3 of us and $1200 is just such alot of money.
Perhaps not such a lot of money when you consider the alternative.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...nd_Citizenship

And it's not just for you, it's for your eldest child who might not be happy when older to discover the reason why he or she cannot be a New Zealand citizen.

Also you should understand that if you move to Canada and then return, even if you keep your PR the residence clock for citizenship re-starts from scratch. And it's now 5 years.

If you call Immigration and they record that you are intending to leave New Zealand, your citizenship application may face refusal.

We want to be moved if its possible in the next 18 months as our eldest goes off to high school then so if we were to do the citizenship we would never achieve that goal as it takes up to 12 months to get!!
Why is that so important? Being in high school won't make much difference, there may be plenty of issues anyway in switching school system.

As far as Canada goes we should be eligible my partner is a skilled worker so as long as we get a job offer should be ok!

The reason for the move is my sister and her kids are over there we haven't seen each other for 6 years!!! We all have kids that haven't even met. Would love them to grow up together and Canada looks as beautiful an option as NZ!!!!
Canada is not going anywhere and is there any option for your sister to move to New Zealand? (are they now Canadian citizens?)

Jobs are not easy to come by and if you read the Canadian immigration forums you will see that the pathway to permanent residence is not easy and people on temporary status have lots of problems.

But your life, your choice, etc.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:00 am
Just Joined

We are def Canada bound, plus we will be mortgage free there, NZ is soooo expensive.

The pull of family and being mortgage free would make for a better way of life.

Andy my sister cannot move here as they are military.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just get the citizenship- do it now before you've made any firm (IE found a job etc) plans because that's all the form asks. IRRV isn't guaranteed forever and also means your kids can't pass it on to theirs. Who knows what the world will be like for your grandchildren and what prospects NZ offers them or how easy it will be for non-citizens to enter. Once you've spent the cash doing it you'll never regret that you did and yet you may not be able to say the same of not doing it, iyswim!

Good luck with your plans for Canada
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

PS does it really take 12 months to get the citizenship? It only took a few weeks for my kids but they didn't have to do the ceremony. Could you get citizenship for them and not you I wonder?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Yeah when I rang Internal Affairs they said between 9-12 months, when did you do yours? It would be interesting to know if that is a worse case!

Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The timeline seems to be variable.

The average seems to be around 6 months from sending in the application to attending the ceremony.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2009 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:57 pm
---

Yeah when I rang Internal Affairs they said between 9-12 months, when did you do yours? It would be interesting to know if that is a worse case!

Thanks
I didn't- but my kids did and because they weren't getting citizenship with a parent (their father is a Kiwi by descent and therefore once we'd settled in NZ they were entitled to citizenship- although I didn't know this and it was only at JAJ's insistence that there was this option for them that we got it) they didn't have to attend the ceremony, so it was really as very fast turnaround.