Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Iron Roofs in New Zealand

Iron Roofs in New Zealand

Old Mar 1st 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iron Roofs in New Zealand

Most of the houses I've looked at, on the Net, appear to have some kind of iron roof. The NuKiwi.com report also mentions the noisy iron roofs.

Is this true? Do most houses have some kind of iron roof? Do any have tiles? And how do you sleep when it's raining, with an iron roof?
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:06 pm
pankala

Default Re: Iron Roofs in New Zealand

Originally posted by sofistek
Most of the houses I've looked at, on the Net, appear to have some kind of iron roof. The NuKiwi.com report also mentions the noisy iron roofs.

Is this true? Do most houses have some kind of iron roof? Do any have tiles? And how do you sleep when it's raining, with an iron roof?
Actually, the sound of rain on a metal roof can be very soothing, like a fountain. Usually insulation in the ceiling dampens the sound dramatically.

Old Mar 1st 2003, 11:00 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pankala
Actually, the sound of rain on a metal roof can be very soothing, like a fountain. Usually insulation in the ceiling dampens the sound dramatically.

We have an iron roof. it actually looks like tiles but is iron. It is a bit noisy when it hails! but I agree with pankala it is quite soothing and not really that bad when it rains the insulation does dampen the sound.

Paula
Old Mar 1st 2003, 11:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
We have an iron roof. it actually looks like tiles but is iron. It is a bit noisy when it hails! but I agree with pankala it is quite soothing and not really that bad when it rains the insulation does dampen the sound.

Paula

When the hail stones are the size of golf balls conventional tile roofs are severely damaged, the sheet roofs are more able to withstand the adverse weather conditions and can be changed easily if damaged thats how it was explained to us and it makes sense.
Sean
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 9:00 am
Just Joined

arthurm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek

Must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring this up as an issue in a report .

I can only verify what the others say - noisy when it hails (I've never known it to hail at night though). The first couple of times it rains on the old coloursteel roof, you'll notice it as something unusual but after that it does become something that soothes - maybe instead of visiting psychiatrists, people in the UK with troubled minds should just have coloursteel roofs installed.

Plenty of houses are also built with tiled roofs if you're really concerned.
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all. It seems like this isn't too bad of a problem, which is nice.

With all this talk of hail stones, is this a common occurence in NZ? Across the whole country?

Originally posted by arthurm
Must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring this up as an issue in a report .
It's a fairly thorough warts and all report. Very useful for those considering the move but with no direct experience.

The reason it struck me is because we have a conservatory and, even though it has a fairly steeply pitched roof, heavy rain can make an awful racket. A corrugated iron roof seemed like it would be unbearable at times, without being able to shut it out.