IRD number

Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default IRD number

Hi, I am filling out forms for my job offer and they are asking me for my IRD number.

Is this something that I can obtain before I arrive in NZ, or shall I just leave it blank until I arrive?

How would I even go about getting IRD number and tax code arranged?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRD number

Originally Posted by dave77
Is this something that I can obtain before I arrive in NZ, or shall I just leave it blank until I arrive?
On arrival, get your bank account activated and then go to any Post Shop, fill out the form and you've have your number in ten working days.

If you need a local residential local address, do like I did and setup a personal mailbox address with www.privatebox.co.nz before leaving the UK. This address can also be used for banking, job applications, etc and you can re-direct post to wherever you end up.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rogercruse
On arrival, get your bank account activated and then go to any Post Shop, fill out the form and you've have your number in ten working days.

If you need a local residential local address, do like I did and setup a personal mailbox address with www.privatebox.co.nz before leaving the UK. This address can also be used for banking, job applications, etc and you can re-direct post to wherever you end up.
Thanks Roger, appreciate that. I do need an address so will take a look into the personal mailbox address

Thanks again
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Roger, appreciate that. I do need an address so will take a look into the personal mailbox address

Thanks again
No problem

Another useful tip:
I also ordered a pay-as-you-go SIM card from www.0044.co.uk so that I would have a NZ phone number as soon as I landed and then went to www.vistaprint.co.uk to order business cards with my kiwi identity so I could give these out to prospective employees, and agencies, etc.

So much more professional than trying to remember your own details and it prompts the other party to give you theirs.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:11 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

If you have and take your job contract and ask for "urgent processing" they will ring you with your IRD number in 2-3 working days, might help getting that first payroll payment correct...
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought I'd share, had this link through from my recruitment agent who said that you can order a IRD number from the UK

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/

Will give it a try later and let you know
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:43 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd share, had this link through from my recruitment agent who said that you can order a IRD number from the UK

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/

Will give it a try later and let you know
Nothing on that link about doing it online - and I´d be surprised given the documentation you need to show and have validated at the post office etc where you apply...
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nothing on that link about doing it online - and I´d be surprised given the documentation you need to show and have validated at the post office etc where you apply...
Yeah I just noticed that too Looks like I'll have to sort it out once we land. Cheers
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:30 pm
It is what it is Member

Never mind, you know something more about the recruitment agent now
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Never mind, you know something more about the recruitment agent now
Sorry in advance to any recruitment agents you may read this. But I am reminded of the old joke....

Question: Why does everybody instantly hate recruitment agents when they meet them?
Answer: It saves time!

Sorry again. I'm sure your mum loves you... well, she nice things about you most of the time and thats almost the same thing.