British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   IRD and Bank Account - Advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ird-bank-account-advice-please-663982/)

rason Apr 14th 2010 11:14 am

IRD and Bank Account - Advice please

Hi

I cant really find the answers from the archives so just wondering if you can give me some advice.

Getting a tax code thought this was a simple procedure but looks like I have to send off my passport and drivers licence originals as well as photocopies if applying from UK (no go as I fly in 3 weeks). I was orginally going to get one out there and from info elsewhere was lead to believe it was almost given over the counter. Dont like the thought of my only ID being gone for a couple of weeks, thinking about hotels, cars, jobs etc.

Then I was looking at starting the process of opening a bank account from UK and they asked me for my IRD number (Kiwi Bank) Catch 22?

Someones personal experience would be a big help here please. On the ground in Auckland how long do you think it would take for me to get an IRD and Bank Acc?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded message

Newfies Apr 14th 2010 11:31 am

Re: IRD and Bank Account - Advice please

Bank account within an hour. We opened a National and a Westpac account from expo in the Uk and activated it once in NZ but did not need IRD initislly.

IRD takes a few days but you can open bank account without one as you can tell them it once you have it. If you dont tell them is means that you will pay a higer rate of tax.

Bank are just being arses tell them you will take business else where if they wont open account without IRD no.
HTH

simonsi Apr 14th 2010 11:35 am

My understanding is that without an IRD they just have to tax you at a higher rate initially until you supply one - shouldn't stop either a bank account being opened or employment starting however banks and employers are staffed with peeps who like to have the number immediately/asap so this is where you hit resistance.

In a similar way in the UK, until you can supply a tax code notice you will be taxed on an emergency code which doesn't give you any allowances.

In both NZ and UK cases the overall tax you pay should even out once the number is supplied so you may get taxed more initially but it will even out to the correct figure over the month or so after you get your IRD.

I'm with you and I wouldn't ship ID around between countries...bad enough if it needs to go somewhere in-country!

sirplug Apr 14th 2010 12:49 pm

Bank account is opened same day you walk in the branch. Take your passport with you. You'll get an EFTPOS card, there and then (same as Switch / Maestro)

IRD is done at the Post Office. Download the forms or get them at the Post Office and fill them in. Take your Passport and your Drivers Licence (UK one is OK). Take photocopies of them as well. The Post Office does the rest and it's all free. IRD number comes through the post within 2 weeks.

Good luck, it's a doddle......:thumbsup:

rason Apr 14th 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks very much peeps settled my mind. Will get it all done on when I land

rushmere Apr 14th 2010 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8495206)

Then I was looking at starting the process of opening a bank account from UK and they asked me for my IRD number (Kiwi Bank) Catch 22?

I've just opened a Kiwibank account via post from the UK. I left the IRD number blank on the application form, and it took just 8 working days from me posting the form to receiving an email with the account number .... and they apologised for the delay, even though it would have taken probably 5 working days for the letter to get there!

AndyR Apr 15th 2010 10:05 pm

Its dead easy mate.

We did the bank account and IRA on the same day, though it would take us ages but we had both done inside the our.

Left ANZ with a debit card each, walked to the AA building, filled out the IRD form there, took a photocopy of our passports/driving license and that was that. IRD number came in the post a week later, went to the bank and gave them the number and all done.

Its sooooooo easy sorting things over here! LOVE IT!

Jan n Neil Apr 15th 2010 10:25 pm

Any AA office for the IRD number, dead easy

Neil

shelloid Apr 16th 2010 7:09 pm

Yep, as everyone has said the IRD number is easy to get but you do have to wait until you're here.

I took passport and other documents to the Inland Revenue branch in Wellington. They even photocopied the documents for us. As I was starting work shortly after arriving here they did it as urgent - and I got my IRD number the next day!

The bank (BNZ) were happy for us to give the IRD number at a later date and totally understood that we couldn't get one immediately.

Am Loolah Apr 16th 2010 11:24 pm

Pretty much as everyone else said. We opened a Kiwibank account from the UK with photocopies of ID and got our IRD number from the tax office locally upon arrival and the bank then just changed the tax code.

Remeber, most tax offices and banks are very familiar with expats arriving and being a little overhwelmed with all they have to do, we found them all extremely helpful.:thumbsup: