British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Introduction (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/introduction-672004/)

johnht Jun 11th 2010 10:45 am

Introduction

Hi, Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. I've been lurking around this forum reading the collective wisdom for a few weeks and thought it about time to put my head above the parapet.
I'm a Brit, married to a New Zealander and we're thinking of making the leap back to NZ, though we're still wondering about how it'll affect our boys (11+9) and their schooling and what to do work wise etc etc etc.
So far we've got the passport photos for the boys' NZ citizenship (by descent) applications!
One thing I came across while downloading forms today was:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...opportunities/
which says that I'll need a job offer for a partner visa application. This isn't mentioned anywhere else that I can find (e.g. operations manual or in the check flow chart). I'm not expecting to live in NZ without working, but it is obviously a lot easier to look for something when you're easily available for interviews, or alternatively to look for a business to buy.
Does anyone have any comments or experiance of the job requirement for partner statement on the website?
Thanks,
John.

BEVS Jun 12th 2010 12:40 am

Re: Introduction

Kia Ora and welcome to this cosy little NZ forum. :)

I can't see from your link where it says one needs to have a job offer. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case.

We do have people coming out, or back, to New Zealand under the partnership category. Plenty of folk around who are married to Kiwis.

I'd suggest asking them by starting a new thread into the main forum as more people pass through there.

kiwichick36 Jun 12th 2010 7:17 am

Hi
I'm a NZ'er and returned to NZ a year ago after spending 15 years in the uk. I brought my british husband here and was his sponsor on a partner visia and he never had to have a job offer. Unless its changed in the last year but I can't see why it would have. Good luck with every thing and the move. Was a big change coming back after so long and it has taken a bit to get use to 'kiwi' things again but we have two young kids and its so worth the move!

Dewb09 Jun 12th 2010 3:57 pm

HI & welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I am married to a kiwi and did not need a job offer. I will be coming in under the partnership category as he is my sponsor.It also seemed to make the application go through a lot quicker as well so bear this in mind.
We have two girls (9&4) we did get citizenship by descent for them when they where born so they also have kiwi passports. Would recommend you get this done for you boys asap as you will save so much money on the application if its only for you.

Best of luck with it all paperwork can be bit of a nightmare but not impossible.

Dewb

johnht Jun 12th 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8627537)
Kia Ora and welcome to this cosy little NZ forum. :)

I can't see from your link where it says one needs to have a job offer. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case.

Hi Bevs and others,
Thanks for the welcome.
In the paragraph 'Finding Work' it says 'You will need to include a job offer ....' and as you can see from the menu on the left this is in the section: Partner : What opportunities are there (also shown in the blue menu bar that starts with the orange maroon green yellow squares).
I thought as you and the others who've replied said, that a job offer wasn't required for a partner, perhaps this section of the website was cut and pasted from somewhere else or the link has gone astray somewhere as tends to happen with these computer things :unsure:
John.

Dewb09 Jun 12th 2010 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnht (Post 8628774)
Hi Bevs and others,
Thanks for the welcome.
In the paragraph 'Finding Work' it says 'You will need to include a job offer ....' and as you can see from the menu on the left this is in the section: Partner : What opportunities are there (also shown in the blue menu bar that starts with the orange maroon green yellow squares).
I thought as you and the others who've replied said, that a job offer wasn't required for a partner, perhaps this section of the website was cut and pasted from somewhere else or the link has gone astray somewhere as tends to happen with these computer things :unsure:
John.

Hi John
Just had a quick squiz at the application again and it all seems to be the same as what I filled in. Use this link and just follow the steps for application. Must admit that side menu is very confusing :confused:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...r/howdoiapply/

As you are married to a NZ citizen you do not have to have a job offer as they are sponsoring you

Good luck :thumbsup:

Dewb