Interview tonight

Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview tonight

Morning,

Haven't posted in a while, some of you may remember that when I came back from my visit in Mar I had a verbal job offer. Well that one fell through but the same company told me to apply for a management role at the same branch. Well I did, and have now been given an appointment for a skype interview tonight

Now, I have to say, I'm a little nervous as not had much interview practice in the past. I've only had 2 jobs in my 18 year working career so any tips?

Is there any differences between UK and NZ interview formats?
Anything NZ employers like to hear?
More importantly, what do people wear for job interviews in NZ? I'd normally go shirt and tie, would this be too formal?

So many questions, general advice or a slap round the face and a 'she'll be right' welcome.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:06 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview tonight

Hey Bobogib,

Well done on the interview!

Shirt and tie would be good I reckon. Always good to look smart even if not required. I feel it puts me in a more professional mood with smart clothes, changes my outlook if that makes sense!

I would make sure you set up your laptop in a quiet place with good internet signal with a tidy back ground (ie not a pile of laundry or dishes!) And use a proper dining room chair so you don't slouch or look like you're chilling on the sofa. You don't want noise of music, tv, phone or kids in the back ground nor do you want to keep cutting out.

Could be worth you tubing some interview tips as well. Interactive videos work well as you can see exactly what they mean, rather than reading from a website.

Other than that good luck, let us know how it all goes!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on type of job you might get a curly question about 'the Treaty' - have a look at the 3 Ps (Partnership, Participation, Protection) and tell us Bobogib how you would apply these to your role.

Treaty of Waitangi principles | Ministry of Health NZ (ETA sorry this was the first thing that came up in Google search didn't realise it was related just to health but you'll find plenty of other similar stuff online.) I'll look for something else in the meantime.

Interviewers here like those kind of questions, tell us about a time when you had difficulty with a team member, what did you do?

Tell us how you deal with difficult situation / difficult people seems to be always in there somewhere and still I don't know what is the right answer.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 16th 2016 at 7:26 am.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another example specific to 'young people' but if you take the gist of to mean all Maori people, you'll be on the right track

23093 Treaty of Waitangi: Print-friendly resources: Partnership, participation and protection

Have a good look at the company's website and see if they have any mission statement or 'values' -stuff, they like those kind of questions too. e.g which of our five values resonates the most with you.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 16th 2016 at 7:33 am.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Be yourself

Get something out of the interview for yourself

- is this the type of people I want to work with/for
- does the role turn me on? really?
- when the shit hits the fan is this guy/female going to support me or drop me in it?

Obviously you cant ask the questions directly but you can work it out.

PS U Skype in shirt and tie (just don't ask me to stand up)
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

do a test skype with someone so they can tell you where best to have the camera, background should be neutral or if in a home office neat and tidy. Act as if you are in the room with them so yes suited and booted. I would assume you have gained info on the company, you know the job description. as others have said the usual questions are asked but they might also ask how you intend to settle with the family in NZ if they offer you a job. so look at the area they might be offering the job in and get some local info. check out the other pages on here and immigration website on advise about settling down.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Be yourself
PS U Skype in shirt and tie (just don't ask me to stand up)
Funny you should say that. My wife said the same thing......

Thanks for the tips so far. I have already met one of the interviewers in person when I was in Chch earlier this year, I guess it's just a fear of the unknown and having never actually sat a civilian interview (done plenty of military ones).
Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck mate sure it will be 'reet
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Well that seemed to go ok. Tool around 40 mins and wanted to know more about my background and skills than anything else. Hoping I haven't shot myself in the foot by being too honest with one question.

Asked the interviewer what the next step was and he told me I was on a shortlist of 3 people out of 13 applicants, so think I did well to get this far. Hopefully I'll find out within the week.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobogib
Well that seemed to go ok. Tool around 40 mins and wanted to know more about my background and skills than anything else. Hoping I haven't shot myself in the foot by being too honest with one question.

Asked the interviewer what the next step was and he told me I was on a shortlist of 3 people out of 13 applicants, so think I did well to get this far. Hopefully I'll find out within the week.
Fingers crossed for you
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and I hope it's good news for you
Old Oct 30th 2016, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Well sorry for taking agaes to reply. Had to wait a while to find out but unfortunatley it wasn't good new. Everything was going well until they their head office told them that dispite me being the only qualified applicant, they had to promote internally. I did get offered another position but it just wasn't right.

It's not the end of the journey though, just a delay. Going to leave it for a while before trying for anything again as it's deflated me a little.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 12:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Aw that's disappointing. You did all that groundwork and mental preparedness just for the frustration of not getting it.

I've been there what feels like a gazillion times whilst living in NZ.

Good luck with your continuing journey.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well sorry for taking agaes to reply. Had to wait a while to find out but unfortunatley it wasn't good new. Everything was going well until they their head office told them that dispite me being the only qualified applicant, they had to promote internally. I did get offered another position but it just wasn't right.
That's such a bummer but sounds par for the NZ course unfortunately - I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard of this same outcome. It seems to be the Kiwi way to dick people around for ages and ages, waiting to get to next stage, taking weeks to make decisions etc and then they go and give the job to the local internal candidate. I expect this was the outcome they had already planned and hoped for and they were just going through the motions to interview others, so as to look like they did the right thing in going to the market.