British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Internet providers Dunedin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/internet-providers-dunedin-814711/)

Rachel-Chadwick Nov 10th 2013 5:46 am

Internet providers Dunedin

Hello, can anyone recommend an Internet provider for Dunedin area? We not download much but use you-tube and Skype/FaceTime a fair bit.
Thanks in advance :-)

barnsleymat Nov 10th 2013 9:14 am

Re: Internet providers Dunedin

Originally Posted by Rachel-Chadwick (Post 10984379)
Hello, can anyone recommend an Internet provider for Dunedin area? We not download much but use you-tube and Skype/FaceTime a fair bit.
Thanks in advance :-)

Some parts of dunedin have ultra fast broadband so you might want to check if your property has it available. Ours doesn't yet, we have Orcon and get onshore speeds of 10mbps, but testing speeds to the US it's only 1mbps, that's a NZ problems and not really a problem with an ISP. So YouTube sometimes doesn't stream very well.

SLH Nov 10th 2013 5:09 pm

Hi we use slingshot and have done so for the 10 years we've been here. Some people have issues but we never have. They also do what's called Global mode and this allows you to watch some UK tv. We run several computers in our home at the same time as well as smart phones and a smart tv with no issues of speed for streaming. We use skype everyday too. You need to sign up for broadband and phone line to get the most out of slingshot offers. Hope this helps.

Rachel-Chadwick Dec 4th 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for your replies. We went with vodafone in the end- went through an agency who sorts out electric/phone/Internet so it was quite easy!

Rachel-Chadwick Dec 4th 2013 7:38 pm

And funnily enough this week they have been digging up our road installing ultra fast broadband, typical!

southerner Dec 6th 2013 2:31 am

We were changing ISP a couple of months ago and so looked at UFB prices (we are just inside the Dunedin central zone), they were only marginally more than our old broadband. So we went UFB, and then upgraded to a slightly bigger package, and dumped Sky, so less money overall.

That was with Telecom, and all working great (after a couple of teething issues early on). BBC/ITV/C4 streaming works a treat.

Rachel-Chadwick Dec 7th 2013 3:20 am

Ooh how do you get bbc/itv/c4?!

jmh Dec 7th 2013 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Rachel-Chadwick (Post 11024833)
Ooh how do you get bbc/itv/c4?!

I can't speak for Southerner, but I get these because I use Slingshot who have global roaming mode which is free (see SLH's mention of it above). Works fine here but I can't say for Dunedin.

southerner Dec 18th 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11024857)
I can't speak for Southerner, but I get these because I use Slingshot who have global roaming mode which is free (see SLH's mention of it above). Works fine here but I can't say for Dunedin.

Overplay.net is what we use.