British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Internet. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/internet-527865/)

jjthefridge Apr 8th 2008 8:47 pm

Internet.

Hi,
We're visiting nz end of the month, just wondering whether there are plenty of places to access the internet i.e. internet cafe's hotels etc

j.j.

RobClubley Apr 8th 2008 9:28 pm

Re: Internet.

There are a few dotted about, yes. :)

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 9th 2008 12:00 am

Try libraries too. Enjoy your visit.

Steve and Julie Apr 9th 2008 12:16 am

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 6179791)
Hi,
We're visiting nz end of the month, just wondering whether there are plenty of places to access the internet i.e. internet cafe's hotels etc

j.j.

Which area`s are you visiting ???

Kags1694 Apr 9th 2008 8:45 am

Hi,

j.j.

Hi, we have just got back for a recci. We took our laptop.

We found that most hotels/motels had internet connections.
Wireless connection is very slow.
Some hotels charge some dont. Prices range from $10.00 to $20.00 per day. (some free)
Internet cafes are all over the place, you can go into i site places (tourist information centres) and use their computers. They range from $1.00 to $5.00 per hour.

We got told, by a security man at Auckland airport, that if you sit outside McDonalds you can connect to there wireless internet for free. (but dont tell them)

Any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Regards
Karen

simonmarkellis Apr 9th 2008 8:49 pm

Hi,

j.j.

Every major city/town has an i-site and more often than not they have PC's with internet on them that you can use...(Apart from Taupo - You have to cross the road to the Internet cafe)

jjthefridge Apr 9th 2008 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie (Post 6180414)
Which area`s are you visiting ???

Hi

We're now totally confused as to where we are going as I have a job offer in Blenheim (from london expo) so primaraily going to south island, Debbie would like to visit rotorau, but depends on money and time.

j.j.

philw1980 Jan 31st 2009 6:10 am

I can imagine there are a few internet places around. I live in Papatoetoe and only have dial up at home. There is a local library where you are limited to 1 hour. Could someone please tell me a place (an address) where I can go and use it for however long I want. Don't mind driving. I'm sure there are lots around but don't want to be wandering aimlessly and haven't seen others around here. If someone could let me know one specifically so I can go there on Monday would be much appreciated. Thanks

CarolineSwan Jan 31st 2009 6:34 pm

theres a library here with free unlimited internet unless a queue then its 30 mins or so .. i think if you not a member you may have a small fee as only free to members... mac d's have internet

wasnt slow or anything , apart from our holiday let our internet connection has been double what we had in the uk and we had a good connection there.. you will find somewhere very easy

best of luck where ever you go
caz

nick333 Jan 31st 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 7233848)
theres a library here with free unlimited internet unless a queue then its 30 mins or so .. i think if you not a member you may have a small fee as only free to members... mac d's have internet

wasnt slow or anything , apart from our holiday let our internet connection has been double what we had in the uk and we had a good connection there.. you will find somewhere very easy

best of luck where ever you go
caz

j.j., we are headed to Blenheim if we get the green light from NZ house. Wife is a nurse and has a job offer at the local hospital. What job offer do you have?

Good luck with your move

newkiwi Feb 1st 2009 7:41 am

Hi,

j.j.

If u have a laptop you can connect to wifi for free at any esquires coffee shop for an hour with a purchase.

there are plenty of internet cafes around..

jjthefridge Feb 1st 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by nick333 (Post 7234035)
j.j., we are headed to Blenheim if we get the green light from NZ house. Wife is a nurse and has a job offer at the local hospital. What job offer do you have?

Good luck with your move

Hi,

i did have a job offer with a refrigeration company 'cuddon' in blenheim, lovely place, unfortunatly, in the cold light of day when you get home, realised that on the money they were offering it would be a struggle.yurned that one dowm had another job offer from a company in hamilton, more money (cool), but all went pear shaped with debbie, she tore up ita, (bugger). given 4 month extention by immigration had electrical registration done, all ready to go, (theres more)

i've known karen (works in one of supermarkets i work in)for couple of years, we got together, she didn't want me to go, so cut a long story short,withdraw application, thing are working out together, so we're planning on moving out to nz, still got job offers and contacting other employers who were keen before, i'm hopefully comming off mortgage very soon, so no house to sell. biggest thing is karen children from marriage, whether they want to go, (any advise on that situation very welcome).

Bit long winded, but i'll get there soon,

when do you plan to move out?

j.j.

j19fmm Feb 1st 2009 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7235402)
Hi,

i did have a job offer with a refrigeration company 'cuddon' in blenheim, lovely place, unfortunatly, in the cold light of day when you get home, realised that on the money they were offering it would be a struggle.yurned that one dowm had another job offer from a company in hamilton, more money (cool), but all went pear shaped with debbie, she tore up ita, (bugger). given 4 month extention by immigration had electrical registration done, all ready to go, (theres more)

i've known karen (works in one of supermarkets i work in)for couple of years, we got together, she didn't want me to go, so cut a long story short,withdraw application, thing are working out together, so we're planning on moving out to nz, still got job offers and contacting other employers who were keen before, i'm hopefully comming off mortgage very soon, so no house to sell. biggest thing is karen children from marriage, whether they want to go, (any advise on that situation very welcome).

Bit long winded, but i'll get there soon,

when do you plan to move out?

j.j.

Hello j.j.
so, still thinking of going down under then? Check out the Step-children thread. If Karens ex is not behind your move and he has regular access with the kids, you're on to a tough and expensive journey through the Courts. What age are Karens kids?

jjthefridge Feb 1st 2009 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 7236178)
Hello j.j.
so, still thinking of going down under then? Check out the Step-children thread. If Karens ex is not behind your move and he has regular access with the kids, you're on to a tough and expensive journey through the Courts. What age are Karens kids?

Hi,

Its always been in my mind moving down under, i've kept in contact with employers. her kids are 14 and 11, there dad has always known it may happen, its been mentioned to her kids, their saying they'd miss friends, but not really sat down and talked about it with them. we've got to be living together offically for a bit longer, so its just time see what happens, with me and karen first, before other issused are bought up.but one thing karen likes about me is that i'm the dad they've never had.

how's your plans comming on??

j.j.

j19fmm Feb 2nd 2009 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7237208)
Hi,

Its always been in my mind moving down under, i've kept in contact with employers. her kids are 14 and 11, there dad has always known it may happen, its been mentioned to her kids, their saying they'd miss friends, but not really sat down and talked about it with them. we've got to be living together offically for a bit longer, so its just time see what happens, with me and karen first, before other issused are bought up.but one thing karen likes about me is that i'm the dad they've never had.

how's your plans comming on??

j.j.

In a nutshell? SLOWLY!!!!
First Court appearance under our belt next one set for May. Guardians appointed for kids to speak to. And so we go on....:eek: