Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

INTERNAL FLIGHTS NZ - WHAT CAN YOU TAKE?

INTERNAL FLIGHTS NZ - WHAT CAN YOU TAKE?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:29 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default INTERNAL FLIGHTS NZ - WHAT CAN YOU TAKE?

HI GUYS,

can i take food and drinks in my luguage bag when i fly from Auckland to Wellington on an airnz flight?

I understand they are very strict ?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: INTERNAL FLIGHTS NZ - WHAT CAN YOU TAKE?

Well I've flown Rotorua - Welly a few times & my son's done the Rotorua - Christchurch flight. There's no checking of luggage, no x-ray machines, no little plastic bags for containers of liquids. It's all been incredibly casual in my experience. Son even took a full packed lunch in his hand luggage for his trip, drink included.........and was able to eat it. Oh, and we bought a few bits (cake & walkers crisps!) when we were last in Wellington and brought them back with us. I'm assuming there was no restriction, but no one checked our bags or even asked if we'd packed them ourselves . All very relaxed and easy
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can take food and drink onto the domestic flight. Your hand luggage is xrayed but there are not the same restrictions as international flights.

Air New Zealand have a great system of self check in and you print out your luggage label and boarding pass and answer a couple of questions like "did you pack everthing yourself" and "are you taking anything onboard that is not allowed"?

Recently, I attended the Wellington Airport 50th anniversary celebration open day. It was really interesting to see all the confiscated items that people try to take on board the aircraft (even furry handcuffs :-)
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:19 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Recently, I attended the Wellington Airport 50th anniversary celebration open day. It was really interesting to see all the confiscated items that people try to take on board the aircraft (even furry handcuffs :-)

I've flown Auckland to Palmerston North and vice versa a few times and never had my hand luggage xrayed or any checks apart from the boarding pass. No worries about food and drink either as it's internal.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I took my pocket knife on in my handbag from Chch to AKL but they stopped me taking my takeaway coffee as it was a safety risk
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

You'll only get your hand luggage x-rayed at the larger airports which handle domestic jet flights, 737's, A320's etc. Passengers for these filghts are held in a secure area before boarding. This will typically only be where the flight is between Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch or Dunedin. Maybe Queenstown as well.

So to the OP, between Auckland and Wellington, yes you'll be x-rayed, but there's nothing to stop you taking food and drink in your bags. The liquid restrictions only apply to international flights.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Tauranga to Christchurch and back no problem with food and drink.