Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

An interesting move...

An interesting move...

Old May 9th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile An interesting move...

Not sure where to start.
We had an interesting time in NZ on our recce and I'll start another thread on it in a while, I've only just got internet connected at our rental house so here's a brief update for those who know me

We retuned from the recce 21stApril , celebrated our daughters 18th and set to packing up the house to move. The removal guys came for 2 days 25th/26th and packed and moved us into this lovely little (2 bed bungalow)it's a squash- we were in a 5 bed house- we decluttered and now need to slim down more before we move again- hopefully to NZ!

All set to 'complete' on our sale the next day- friday 27th April. The 3 other families in the chain packed their belongings into removal vans, but at 1pm I had a phone call to say the finances hadn't arrived from person at bottom of chain so no-one could complete!!!! (and that had only happened twice all the years the solicitor had been working!) I felt so sorry for my buyer who had 3 children arriving from school with only school uniform to wear because everything was packed up! She went to stay in a hotel the night and the children to a relative, then had to go out and buy them clothes! For a week both my buyers buyer and the guy at bottom of chain tried to get a mortgage to cover the 200,000k shortfall and eventually after a week of worry for everyone completion took place on Friday 4th may and we had earned a bit of extra money in interest! Great relief all round.
This house sale has been dogged from the start - my buyers last buyer tried to guzunder on day of 'exchange' last November so she told him to take a walk and we've been living with our things in boxes since then!
.. we've sold the house!!!!!

The Singapore police checks have arrived ok at last, so I sent those off to NZIS. I've just found an email from NZIS to say we have a CO called Amelia, who has been emailing us since 26th April but the emails haven't got through? She wants more evidence that our son is dependent on us financially-- grief! just look at the bank statements we sent showing UNI fees, accommodation, living costs put into his account LOL!!
He has all the Uni 'paperwork' in Sheffield (he is up to his eyes in deadlines for the end of this academic yr so not sure when he will send the proof we need?) Wondering if this is all she is going to ask for?! At least we are now at the final stage of visa application - yippee.

I'll try to type up our thoughts on NZ recce soon.
Helen
Old May 9th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting move...

Blimey, you have been through it with your house sale! Great to hear it's all moving along nicely now though and you ahve at last completed! We're just about to exchange on ours then it's all systems go!

Hope to be able to meet up with you next year at the BE mass-meet

Good Luck x

Michelle x
Old May 9th 2007, 7:46 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Not sure where to start.
We had an interesting time in NZ on our recce and I'll start another thread on it in a while, I've only just got internet connected at our rental house so here's a brief update for those who know me

We retuned from the recce 21stApril , celebrated our daughters 18th and set to packing up the house to move. The removal guys came for 2 days 25th/26th and packed and moved us into this lovely little (2 bed bungalow)it's a squash- we were in a 5 bed house- we decluttered and now need to slim down more before we move again- hopefully to NZ!

All set to 'complete' on our sale the next day- friday 27th April. The 3 other families in the chain packed their belongings into removal vans, but at 1pm I had a phone call to say the finances hadn't arrived from person at bottom of chain so no-one could complete!!!! (and that had only happened twice all the years the solicitor had been working!) I felt so sorry for my buyer who had 3 children arriving from school with only school uniform to wear because everything was packed up! She went to stay in a hotel the night and the children to a relative, then had to go out and buy them clothes! For a week both my buyers buyer and the guy at bottom of chain tried to get a mortgage to cover the 200,000k shortfall and eventually after a week of worry for everyone completion took place on Friday 4th may and we had earned a bit of extra money in interest! Great relief all round.
This house sale has been dogged from the start - my buyers last buyer tried to guzunder on day of 'exchange' last November so she told him to take a walk and we've been living with our things in boxes since then!

The Singapore police checks have arrived ok at last, so I sent those off to NZIS. I've just found an email from NZIS to say we have a CO called Amelia, who has been emailing us since 26th April but the emails haven't got through? She wants more evidence that our son is dependent on us financially-- grief! just look at the bank statements we sent showing UNI fees, accommodation, living costs put into his account LOL!!
He has all the Uni 'paperwork' in Sheffield (he is up to his eyes in deadlines for the end of this academic yr so not sure when he will send the proof we need?) Wondering if this is all she is going to ask for?! At least we are now at the final stage of visa application - yippee.

Helen
What a nightmare! But sounds like the end's in sight hope all goes smoothly for you from now on. xx
Old May 9th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
What a nightmare! But sounds like the end's in sight hope all goes smoothly for you from now on. xx
No OMG just had a phone call from our buyer complaining about things not working and she's had get replaced? The kitchen tap leaked ? The shower from ensuite leaked into sitting room after first use? Was ok last week. Rubbish left in loft? There was an old door used to walk on to get into far corner of large loft?! She wants money to get it removed. Is this never going to end. I would be upset too if it's all true and hubby has agreed to give her money to get someone to take door or whatever away. She paid less than it's worth today(s we never asked for more even tho this sale has gone on for 9 months and agent told us to ask for 25,000k more for it)
Old May 9th 2007, 8:40 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

No OMG just had a phone call from our buyer complaining about things not working and she's had get replaced? The kitchen tap leaked ? The shower from ensuite leaked into sitting room after first use? Was ok last week. Rubbish left in loft? There was an old door used to walk on to get into far corner of large loft?! She wants money to get it removed. Is this never going to end. I would be upset too if it's all true and hubby has agreed to give her money to get someone to take door or whatever away. She paid less than it's worth today(s we never asked for more even tho this sale has gone on for 9 months and agent told us to ask for 25,000k more for it)
I don't think you're responsible for any leaks or anything. She had a survey done, yes? And she doesn't really have the right to phone you and demand money! The house is hers now and up to her to fix - not you. Although yes I do think she can ask to be reimbursed for any rubbish she has to pay to be removed that may have been left but she should do this through the estate agent and provide receipt and then you settle if you think its fair and reasonable. But she still shouldn't be bothering you directly.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:11 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side Helen, at least things have moved on a bit eh?
Get up to Sheffield and wade through his stuff yourself - threaten to at least! That should move him quick enough Even with deadlines, he should manage half an hour to look for theese papers for you, he must know how important it is to you.
Now, next stop New Zealand
Old May 9th 2007, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Not sure where to start.

Helen
Hi Both,
Glad to hear that you have got the house sold and everything is moving re the visa. It was great to see you when you were here in BOP and we hope the rest of the trip went well.
I would tell the people who bought your house to contact your solicitor if they have any kind of claim to make against you otherwise you will never get rid of them (unless you come over here and hide!!)
If there's anything you need form this side of the world then don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.

Good luck
Paul & Carolyn
Old May 10th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Both,
Glad to hear that you have got the house sold and everything is moving re the visa. It was great to see you when you were here in BOP and we hope the rest of the trip went well.
I would tell the people who bought your house to contact your solicitor if they have any kind of claim to make against you otherwise you will never get rid of them (unless you come over here and hide!!)
If there's anything you need form this side of the world then don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.

Good luck
Paul & Carolyn

Bugger that.. then you get a bill from your solicitor

Wouldn't even consider talking to them. A leaky tap, a door used for a platform in a loft.... FFS give me a break I know what I'd be telling them.

As for the shower leak... tough!!! Shit happens!!
Old May 10th 2007, 2:21 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

She's taking the mick - tell her to get stuffed!