Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Interesting article relating to food miles

Interesting article relating to food miles

Old May 28th 2013, 10:57 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting article relating to food miles

Because, according to this exceptionally detailed study from 2006, lamb, apples and dairy produced in New Zealand and shipped to Britain have a smaller carbon footprint than the equivalent products produced in Britain. To be exact, the UK uses twice as much carbon per tonne of milk solids produced as New Zealand, and four times the amount as New Zealand for lamb. I was so baffled by the report I wanted to know whether I had read it correctly. I emailed Tim Benton, professor of population ecology at Leeds University who is also the "UK Champion for Global Food Security", charged with co-ordinating work on the subject between research councils and government departments. He truly understands both the global food challenges that we face and what sustainable intensification means. He had been an invaluable source of academic papers and scholarly advice for my investigation into the challenges of food security from the very start. I wanted to know whether the report was simply a function of the New Zealand agriculture sector attempting to protect its commercial interests by ferociously massaging some numbers.

He threw in some caveats but, he said: "The overall picture is probably true."
Full article here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-missing-point
Old May 29th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting article relating to food miles

Have read similar articles in Germany but their recommendation was to buy apples when they are in season in Germany (because then they are more sustainable than the NZ or any other variant). If apples are not in season in Germany then it is indeed better to buy NZ products. However, the real conclusion (meaning with regards to sustainability) can only be to buy apples only when they are in season in Germany and to do without apples when they are not in season in Germany.