Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Interesting article on NZ in The Times

Interesting article on NZ in The Times

Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Interesting article on NZ in The Times

The Times August 07, 2006

This is New Zealand's dark secret
Jamie Whyte

NEW ZEALAND is a little, South Pacific version of 1950s England. People are friendly, trustworthy and hard-working. You can leave your front door unlocked when you go out. Women can safely walk alone at night and, if you drop your wallet, someone will deliver it to your door the next day.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...2-2301807.html

<<Admin Edit -Do not post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.>>

Last edited by Sue; Jan 7th 2007 at 12:42 am. Reason: Article removed and replaced with url
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

davec987 will become famous soon enoughdavec987 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Interesting article on NZ in The Times

Just need to find that perfect country now then don't we?

Can you please let me know the answer?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:19 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davec987
Just need to find that perfect country now then don't we?

Can you please let me know the answer?
Afghanistan is looking quite appealing
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Afghanistan is looking quite appealing
Nope!!

Been there last year and spent four months... I grew up in Moss Side in Manchester, so I can't think anything New Zealand can throw at me can be any worse!!

I'll find out in Feb!!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:02 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

What's a "Kyky"?

I could throw some nice murder stats at you from the "greatest country on earth" (apparently the US) but can't be arsed.

Last edited by Maz; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:03 pm. Reason: Didn't need the quote in there
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this article too & have kept it. I do not see NZ as some sort of Utopia, it has it's problems like everywhere else on the planet. However, it does not put me off from returning to NZ either, as domestic violence(especially during pregnancy, which is my field) is a huge problem in the UK too.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:20 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

I still felt much safer when i was in NZ than i do in the UK...and i live in a nice area too!

I'm sure there's nowhere on earth that is perfect and without it's faults. I also felt that on the whole people were more helpful and friendly in NZ too.

Won't put me off going back anyway

Mandie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

No how did I know that before I read this article it would be negative.
Maybe becuase of the person who has posted it.
Why dont you focus on finding postive in your new life rather than the negative in your old life.

Everybodys circumstances and experiances are different.

Good luck with your new life. If you put as much energy into being positive as you do being negative, you will be a huge success.

P.S. Would'nt it be good to be known as a positive person rather than a negative one.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

What this article is saying, if you read between the lines, is that a lot of Maori people beat up their families. Call me callous, but I can't see why this is a problem for potential migrants.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
What this article is saying, if you read between the lines, is that a lot of Maori people beat up their families. Call me callous, but I can't see why this is a problem for potential migrants.
That's so sad if it's true
The potential prob migrants may see in this is that they are bring children over to bring up and live in this country ... so I suppose it would be a worry wouldn't it.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:02 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

I think its great in NZ, the way the 'rough' people are segregated from the wealthy people, as opposed to the UK where council people infringe on the nice areas. Thank goodness I'm rich so I never have to happen upon these awful 'hoons' and if someone's beating his wife, it means he's not beating strangers to death, keep it behind closed doors, I say.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Littletoe
I think its great in NZ, the way the 'rough' people are segregated from the wealthy people, as opposed to the UK where council people infringe on the nice areas. Thank goodness I'm rich so I never have to happen upon these awful 'hoons' and if someone's beating his wife, it means he's not beating strangers to death, keep it behind closed doors, I say.
How about some sand to bury your head in while you're at it...i do hope your thread was said 'tongue in cheek'

As a mother of two daughters, domestic violence is something i do worry about, getting involved in 'hoons' is something i worry about, getting involved in drugs is something i worry about...my children are bright, well raised, polite young ladies who at the moment have no interest in any of the above and god willing they won't. BUT you can only show them the correct path in life, it is their choice which one they take...so let hope that we don't all bury our head in the sand in our rich little lives while our daughters are being beaten behind closed doors...believe it or not it happens even in RICH homes!!!

Mandie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:56 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mandie.H;4256803]How about some sand to bury your head in while you're at it...i do hope your thread was said 'tongue in cheek'

As a mother of two daughters, domestic violence is something i do worry about, getting involved in 'hoons' is something i worry about, getting involved in drugs is something i worry about...my children are bright, well raised, polite young ladies who at the moment have no interest in any of the above and god willing they won't. BUT you can only show them the correct path in life, it is their choice which one they take...so let hope that we don't all bury our head in the sand in our rich little lives while our daughters are being beaten behind closed doors...believe it or not it happens even in RICH homes!!!

Hang on, let me just brush the sand out of my eyes....

I have two daughters as well, snap! These things happen is rich homes, haha, don't make me laugh. Do you watch Eastenders? Its a whole different world
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Littletoe

Hang on, let me just brush the sand out of my eyes....

I have two daughters as well, snap! These things happen is rich homes, haha, don't make me laugh. Do you watch Eastenders? Its a whole different world
I Wish i was having a laugh, not sure Eastenders is in the real world though!!!...but domestic violence in Rich families does exist although not talked about as much...as a health professional i see women of all nationalities, religions and from all socio-economic groups.

Just because a women is married to a Doctor or Solicitor (just randomly chose these two professions) doesn't shield her from this abuse...it does still happen, and lets not forget that women are not the only victims of domestic violence MEN can be on the receiving end too!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
I Wish i was having a laugh, not sure Eastenders is in the real world though!!!...but domestic violence in Rich families does exist although not talked about as much...as a health professional i see women of all nationalities, religions and from all socio-economic groups.

Just because a women is married to a Doctor or Solicitor (just randomly chose these two professions) doesn't shield her from this abuse...it does still happen, and lets not forget that women are not the only victims of domestic violence MEN can be on the receiving end too!
Spot on Mandie. But then we see more than our fair share of it in our job don't we? One of the worst cases I know of, guess what, he WAS a solicitor.
I first became aware of domestic violence when I was about 12 years old. My Mum was a social worker & in the school hols, she took me out with her on her visits occasionally( she felt it was a useful part of my education ). A man came into the office reporting domestic violence by his wife. She had beaten him with a wooden rolling-pin. Poor guy was terrified but felt too ashamed to go to the police.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.