British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Insurance for visit back to uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/insurance-visit-back-uk-895956/)

kathryn00m Apr 26th 2017 2:53 am

Insurance for visit back to uk

I am a NZ permanent resident, UK citizen. I have just realised that I am no longer eligible for nhs. I am travelling back to UK for 4 months with my ~6 month old. I am confused as to whether I should get travel insurance from Nz and/or health insurance from uk. If it makes a difference, I'd rather not be repatriated to NZ should something happen in UK.
Another potential complication is that we have booked flights out but not to return yet. We have a rough idea about when we'd like to return.
Thanks in advance

escapedtonz Apr 26th 2017 3:52 am

Re: Insurance for visit back to uk

Yes. Since you are now non-resident in the uk, regardless of how much and for how long you paid national insurance and income tax etc you are no longer eligible to free nhs care. You will be able to get short term emergency care for free just like any other person in the country but anything more long term or non emergency will be chargeable.
You cannot take on a policy from the uk as you are non-resident so it'll have to be an NZ based policy covering you for travel to the uk and anywhere in between.

MOSO Apr 26th 2017 3:52 am

Yes, you'll need travel insurance as you live permanently in NZ and will be a visitor to the UK. We usually use Southern Cross or AA. Some treatments are covered by a reciprocal agreement, but I think that's just emergency treatments such as A&E.

Mark Smith Apr 26th 2017 4:18 am

There doesn't seem to be much between Southern cross, NIB and AA on price. I guess it's down to the small print. (I used NIB on recent trip to Nepal, 11 days at around $72).

nikkijane88 Apr 26th 2017 5:57 am

Ah oops! When we went back I just rocked up at the doctor and got appointments... to be fair they still had my notes anyway!

Spacecake799 Apr 26th 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kathryn00m (Post 12238495)
I am a NZ permanent resident, UK citizen. I have just realised that I am no longer eligible for nhs. I am travelling back to UK for 4 months with my ~6 month old. I am confused as to whether I should get travel insurance from Nz and/or health insurance from uk. If it makes a difference, I'd rather not be repatriated to NZ should something happen in UK.
Another potential complication is that we have booked flights out but not to return yet. We have a rough idea about when we'd like to return.
Thanks in advance

We did have return tickets even though it was a 3 month trip and got our travel insurance with flight centre when we booked.

Munchkjn Apr 26th 2017 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by nikkijane88 (Post 12238539)
Ah oops! When we went back I just rocked up at the doctor and got appointments... to be fair they still had my notes anyway!

You can do that legally and also use the A&E when visiting the UK under the reciprocal rules.
It's just scheduled hospital appointments that have to be paid for (at 150% - seems a bit excessive), unless you declare yourself a UK resident for tax purposes etc.

Pollyana Apr 26th 2017 10:26 pm

One reason for getting travel insurance when flying back to the UK is -what happens if you are taken ill en route. For instance, in Dubai?Or worse still in the USA? Without travel insurnace you could easily be made bankrupt by the cost of even the most basic of care, never mind long-term treatment.

nikkijane88 Apr 27th 2017 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Munchkjn (Post 12239186)
You can do that legally and also use the A&E when visiting the UK under the reciprocal rules.
It's just scheduled hospital appointments that have to be paid for (at 150% - seems a bit excessive), unless you declare yourself a UK resident for tax purposes etc.

Good point. If it needs to be paid it should just be 100% of the cost, not over and above. So stupid, trying to make up for lost money over the years

Bumptious Apr 27th 2017 4:33 am

I always use 1Cover when travelling to UK and Europe for family visits back home, mind you they are normally no longer than 5 weeks and good value.