British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Insurance - shipping / storage in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/insurance-shipping-storage-nz-883369/)

Lisa Maree Sep 15th 2016 11:51 am

Insurance - shipping / storage in NZ

PSS are offering 1.5% and no IPT against Letton Percivals 1.3% plus IPT, so as a rough guide on £30k PSS is £540 and LP is £427.

Our possessions will be stored by PSS for approx. 12mths in Tauranga, they are saying insurance will be £90 per month.

Does anyone have experience with cost of insurance for goods in storage in NZ, I will get in touch with my FIL to see if his broker can get a better deal but as a starting point I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience of insurance for storage

Cheers

MrsFychan Sep 15th 2016 7:56 pm

Re: Insurance - shipping / storage in NZ

surely you would be covered under the storage companies insurance seeing as its their containers the items are going in??

escapedtonz Sep 15th 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12053454)
surely you would be covered under the storage companies insurance seeing as its their containers the items are going in??

Nope.
I argued this point when we placed our goods in storage but insurance cover for items stored is the responsibility of the customer. Yes the storage facility will have insurance cover on their premises but that insurance will not cover the contents of the storage containers.
Storage at the facility will not be in the shipping container as neither the removals companies nor the storage facilities own shipping containers. They are rented from the shipping companies or whoever manages them for the specific purpose of shipping only. Once your goods arrive in NZ, the removals company only have a short period of time until the shipping container must be returned empty and clean. If the goods are due to go in to storage, once the container has cleared customs and MPI, the container will be taken to the storage facility, the goods physically removed from the shipping container and placed in a wooden crate or crates and stored at the chosen facility which may or may not be owned by PSS International (in this case). The shipping container will then be returned to the shipping company or container management company to be used again.

Unless the storage facility is a approved storage business with all the relevant industry certificates etc you won't have a hope in hell of getting insurance cover unless from the removals company themselves who charge a premium.

MrsFychan Sep 15th 2016 8:35 pm

yes see your point about returning the containers if they are still being used for transport but a lot of storage facilities are just bought containers that they use to store goods in, they surely the onus is on the company to insure as it is there premises and their property whatever sort of storage unit they are using.?

escapedtonz Sep 15th 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12052982)
PSS are offering 1.5% and no IPT against Letton Percivals 1.3% plus IPT, so as a rough guide on £30k PSS is £540 and LP is £427.

Our possessions will be stored by PSS for approx. 12mths in Tauranga, they are saying insurance will be £90 per month.

Does anyone have experience with cost of insurance for goods in storage in NZ, I will get in touch with my FIL to see if his broker can get a better deal but as a starting point I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience of insurance for storage

Cheers

We have storage with Conroy's removals in Mount Maunganui after moving from Wellington in 2014. We have 2 x wooden crates which are approx 2M (h) x 3M (l) x 2M (w). We pay $100 per month and opted out of the insurance cover as it was virtually doubling the price.
Instead, we cover all the storage on our home contents policy as an additional item and the company who we are with do this for free. Initially they would only cover it for the remainder of the annual policy we had at the time we moved up to Tauranga, but at renewal and with the threat of me moving my policy to a competitor they agreed to cover the storage for free until a time that we don't need it - which will be when our house build is completed later this year.

Unfortunately unable to let you know how much insurance cover would be for your stored items.....if you know someone here, you could always ask if they could put the stored items on their contents insurance and maybe contribute to their premium. We pay $26 per fortnight for a 4 bed family home.

MrsFychan Sep 16th 2016 1:34 am

spoke to my boss this morning. The storage company are usually insured for the site. But the clients have to look at insurance for their own goods as the storage company will have no idea how much to insure stuff for and would increase the cost of storing items. In most cases the household insurance would cover it if you store with a recognised/Registered storage facility.

Lisa Maree Sep 16th 2016 3:58 pm

Interestingly after expressing my unhappiness at £90 per mth for the storage insurance (on top of $65 per week for the actual storage) PSS have said they have negotiated it down to £90 per two monthly with their insurers, essentially £45 a month but charged on two monthly cycle. On one hand I'm happy with that, on the other hand I'm a bit annoyed that they appeared to be trying to pull a swifty in the first place.

escapedtonz Sep 17th 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree (Post 12054103)
Interestingly after expressing my unhappiness at £90 per mth for the storage insurance (on top of $65 per week for the actual storage) PSS have said they have negotiated it down to £90 per two monthly with their insurers, essentially £45 a month but charged on two monthly cycle. On one hand I'm happy with that, on the other hand I'm a bit annoyed that they appeared to be trying to pull a swifty in the first place.

Welcome to NZ ;-)

This will happen often.

I've just taken a gold chain in to be repaired. All it needs is the old broken clasp removing, a new one putting on and rhodium plating as it's white gold.
$120 they wanted...WTF!!!
Told them no chance. Will come pick it up and take elsewhere. Oh ok sir just let me see if we can do that cheaper for you...how about $85! Jokers!