British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Insurance for the flight...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/insurance-flight-792075/)

M_and_M Mar 27th 2013 8:39 pm

Insurance for the flight...?

I am falling into a loophole. My already existing travel insurance won't cover me because its a one way trip, not a holiday. My house insurance won't cover, because they don't cover outside the UK.

Help?!? How do I insure my stuff and my travel to get to NZ?

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 27th 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Insurance for the flight...?

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10627580)
I am falling into a loophole. My already existing travel insurance won't cover me because its a one way trip, not a holiday. My house insurance won't cover, because they don't cover outside the UK.

Help?!? How do I insure my stuff and my travel to get to NZ?

We used the Post Office, they did an insurance scheme that covered us one way.

M_and_M Mar 27th 2013 8:45 pm

Really?! Wow I wouldn't have thought of asking them!

MOSO Mar 27th 2013 9:22 pm

We used the Postoffice too. Just buy a single trip cover that includes the US as you're travelling that way. I've been stuck in LA overnight due to plane mechanical failure so it's worthwhile having (not when emigrating though).

The Post Office small print says:
One-Way Cover
This insurance is designed to cover a round trip which starts and finishes at your home in the United Kingdom. It will also provide cover for one-way trips of up to a maximum of 17 days duration, for the purpose of emigration only. The insurance will be restricted to the cover and conditions that would have applied if you had arranged to return to the United Kingdom at the end of the period of insurance.

There must be other companies too, just scroll through the small print.

lisamct Mar 27th 2013 10:32 pm

Most insurance companies will provide one way insurance they just dont publicize it very well. I got a few quotes, post office included but got a cheaper quote and better cover from Direct Travel, covered the journey and the first few weeks of my stay.

jmh Mar 27th 2013 11:15 pm

Did you pay for your tickets on a credit card? Maybe check to see if there is some insurance attached to your card. I know it's not so common these days but you never know.

Grayling Mar 27th 2013 11:19 pm

Go Walkabout give one way cover to Australia.....not sure about NZ

chippy64 Mar 28th 2013 8:20 am

Used Downunder - one way cover and you decide how long you want the cover to continue.

http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...pages/homepage

simonsi Mar 28th 2013 10:07 am

We just booked with a CC and got on the plane...

M_and_M Mar 28th 2013 12:22 pm

I am taking a £3k bike in a box so I want to be sure.

ChrisWilson7 Mar 28th 2013 4:26 pm

I'm using Down Under for a long stay trip, as my move is temporary at least to start, and they are very good so if they offer one-way insurance as suggested above I would recommend them.

M_and_M Mar 29th 2013 6:36 pm

I am really struggling to find a travel insurance that will insure with enough ££ to cover my bike. they all seem to have a ceiling cover of £2500 :( DownUnder only cover belongings to £1500

ChrisWilson7 Mar 29th 2013 7:08 pm

It's difficult as policies might not cover the entire value of some items, but my view is that at least I would get something for my valuables if they were stolen rather than nothing. Something else to consider is depreciation of the bike and how much the insurers would value it at as of now - you could use an online valuation for this. Other than that maybe you could get separate cover for the bike alone? That's about the best I can do by way of suggestions, from my experience of looking for insurance a couple if months back. Hope it helps.

M_and_M Mar 29th 2013 7:21 pm

I already took depreciation into account. hmmmmmmm bugger

simonsi Mar 29th 2013 7:51 pm

Is the 3k value in UK or NZ, bet the replacement cost is quite different (even before any currency effect)?