Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Insurance (Again) - How Many Went Uninsured?

Insurance (Again) - How Many Went Uninsured?

Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:53 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of
Default Insurance (Again) - How Many Went Uninsured?

Now, I think I have done pretty well. Found a reasonable broker and got a suitable premium for all our stuff.

But, seeing as insurance is all about risk management anyway, I am weighing up the risk of not having insurance at all. Looking at the premium value, anything less than a total loss doesn't seem to make economic sense.

So.. I'd be interested to know how many of you that have already migrated decided to run the risk of zero cover?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance (Again) - How Many Went Uninsured?

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
Now, I think I have done pretty well. Found a reasonable broker and got a suitable premium for all our stuff.

But, seeing as insurance is all about risk management anyway, I am weighing up the risk of not having insurance at all. Looking at the premium value, anything less than a total loss doesn't seem to make economic sense.

So.. I'd be interested to know how many of you that have already migrated decided to run the risk of zero cover?
We didn't dare
I saw a picture on the front page of the paper when our stuff was in transit and it showed containers that had been damaged on the dock-side. I can't remember what happened but I think it was the weather : gale force winds. Although it wasn't my stuff, I felt better for knowing we had insurance.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't take the risk. I know it's a very slim chance but what if the container fell off the ship or something and you lost everything. Imagine having to start from scratch with no extra money to buy it all with.

I'd rather pay for the insurance.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:37 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt dare either - like Rob we kept thinking worst case, container falling over the side - and it just didn't seem worth it.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have insurance, we just decided to take the risk but as I said in a previous post it may have been a little naive of us.
Apparently, and I learnt this after our container had arrived, if your unlucky and your container ends up in the sea it will have to be recovered and that can be very expensive. Now I only read this and don't know if it's completely true, maybe the ship has to take responsibility for recovery ... I don't know.
I just quite like taking risks lol I'm just that sort of person so didn't stress too much about it and could live with the thought of my possesions making their way around the other side of the planet to us uninsured.
If you think you may not sleep with the worry of it I would get insured
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

We insured from UK - NZ and NZ - OZ, from the UK no problems, from NZ..................at least 6 items broken and off course the insurance company will not pay up so.................Mrs Nice Guy is an estate agent (horror) and told the company that Mrs Nice Guy would not be recommending that particular company for removals either domestic or long haul.

Guess what?

It worked and there was a claims form in the post!

We are going to have a field day!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
We insured from UK - NZ and NZ - OZ, from the UK no problems, from NZ..................at least 6 items broken and off course the insurance company will not pay up so.................Mrs Nice Guy is an estate agent (horror) and told the company that Mrs Nice Guy would not be recommending that particular company for removals either domestic or long haul.

Guess what?

It worked and there was a claims form in the post!

We are going to have a field day!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger.......just dropped the lid of a pot and it smashed into 1000 peices............
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering the same thing! But I wouldn't be able to sleep properly until I knew my stuff had got to us safe !!!

Plus kids would kill me if their toys ended up with the mermaids .....

Michelle xx
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:14 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I was wondering the same thing! But I wouldn't be able to sleep properly until I knew my stuff had got to us safe !!!

Plus kids would kill me if their toys ended up with the mermaids .....

Michelle xx

I chucked lots of toys away but what we did bring just ended up in the bin eventually. The only thing that was more than value for money was our huge toy box of lego ... thank god we brought it and if I see lego at garage sales I still buy it to add to our mega toy box full.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:40 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky
I chucked lots of toys away but what we did bring just ended up in the bin eventually. The only thing that was more than value for money was our huge toy box of lego ... thank god we brought it and if I see lego at garage sales I still buy it to add to our mega toy box full.
I helped my parents clear out the basement at the weekend, only to discover that the mountain of lego that I grew up with is now in an orphanage in Romania! I know it is in a good place but still......

Anyway, as for insurance, the recent images form news in the UK with all the looters/beachcombers scouring the beach in Branscombe is enough to ensure I have insurance. One couple from Sweden were moving their possessions to South Africa. Their container ended up on the beach and they watched in horror on the TV as people raided their container. I know insurance would not have stopped this happening but it would help soften the blow.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:09 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

We were a bit selective about what values were covered on the inventory list. Brought the cost down, and gave us the level of cover we wanted.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:24 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
We were a bit selective about what values were covered on the inventory list. Brought the cost down, and gave us the level of cover we wanted.
You can pick and choose what you insure that you take so it's not like you're naming and costing every last knife, fork and spoon. We just saved ourselves £580 by not using the insurer through the removal company and using Letton Percival who will insure private individuals. They were recommended on another thread so we investigated and all been very straightforward.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Don't insure. First of all your container should not be on the deck of the ship, so it is not going overboard. The cost of the insurance will be greater than the repair or replacement of any perticular damaged item. The packing is done very well, loaded to container ncely and nicely unloaded at your new place. We had no damage. Save the money. besides, if something really precious is damaged, you won't be ablke to replace it anyway.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:15 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Don't insure. First of all your container should not be on the deck of the ship, so it is not going overboard. The cost of the insurance will be greater than the repair or replacement of any perticular damaged item. The packing is done very well, loaded to container ncely and nicely unloaded at your new place. We had no damage. Save the money. besides, if something really precious is damaged, you won't be ablke to replace it anyway.
That is a very sweeping statement - the contents of your container are likely to run into £10,000's. I agree that individual breakages could maybe be paid for out of you premium, but you need to have peace of mind that os for whatever reason, your container is a write off (ship sinks etc) that you are covered for the full amount.

Moving to a new country is an expensive process. There are areas in which you can save money like supplying your own boxes, packing your own stuff etc but insurance is not one of the corners you should cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.