Insurance.....

Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Insurance.....

Well we said hello to our stuff yesterday as NZvanlines delivered it to our long term rental.....

First off i must say that the 7 guys who worked all day were superb and very very helpful and cheerful all day long. Our experience of the company here has been nothing short of very good.

Not so good was the number of items that have been damaged or broken but looking at the packages as they arrived most of this is down to very poor packing or loading or the items by the UK side.

Most significant is a piano which was brand new in the uk at xmas and which should have been wooden crated for the trip but arrived here with just wrapping.....

Same for a £3000 plasma TV which is now damaged....

Someone put a very expensive leather armchair in and then loaded something ontop bearing on an arm of the chair....

Our fridge freezer has a dented door...

Think those are the main things that will form the claim....eeekk

Oh yes we took out sets and pairs insurance by the way and as one of our eight dining chairs got smashed and they were one offs it looks like we'll be shopping for a new one soon.

Insurance....assuming our rather large claim is sorted is most certainly a must for the move. I'll have a chair and stiff drink waiting for the loss adjuster when he sees the value involved......

Thankfully other than the piano (which is damged at the back and not obvious) all off our more treasured things like paintings and one off oak furniture etc made it in perfect condition.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:13 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance.....

Sorry to hear that. I know how wonderful it is to see all your stuff again but you must have been gutted at so much damage. What packers did you use UK end? They sound like cowboys! We could only afford the cheapest removals we were quoted and were really worried we'd never see our stuff again or it would turn up in a really bad way - but as it turned out not one thing was damaged so it would seem, perhaps, the expensive experts aren't always so

Hope you manage to get your claim sorted quickly and hassle-free and find decent replacements. How did you manage to get cover for the plasma? We couldn't find anyone that would cover it.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Well we said hello to our stuff yesterday as NZvanlines delivered it to our long term rental.....

First off i must say that the 7 guys who worked all day were superb and very very helpful and cheerful all day long. Our experience of the company here has been nothing short of very good.

Not so good was the number of items that have been damaged or broken but looking at the packages as they arrived most of this is down to very poor packing or loading or the items by the UK side.

Most significant is a piano which was brand new in the uk at xmas and which should have been wooden crated for the trip but arrived here with just wrapping.....

Same for a £3000 plasma TV which is now damaged....

Someone put a very expensive leather armchair in and then loaded something ontop bearing on an arm of the chair....

Our fridge freezer has a dented door...

Think those are the main things that will form the claim....eeekk

Oh yes we took out sets and pairs insurance by the way and as one of our eight dining chairs got smashed and they were one offs it looks like we'll be shopping for a new one soon.

Insurance....assuming our rather large claim is sorted is most certainly a must for the move. I'll have a chair and stiff drink waiting for the loss adjuster when he sees the value involved......

Thankfully other than the piano (which is damged at the back and not obvious) all off our more treasured things like paintings and one off oak furniture etc made it in perfect condition.
If items were supposed to have been wooden crated, they were probably extra's on your original quote & you ought to get money back for that as well.
Did you not have to run though a checklist in the UK, as we did, it highlighted items that had been wooden crated?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

This is interesting and I certainly feel for you. It is expensive and difficult to move and then to have these troubles. I said intereting because we decided that we would go uninsured. To me, the cost of the insureance was really a several thousand dollar deductible. I then compared to what could get damaged on an individual basis, sort of spread the risk among each item. I decided that it would be worth the chance to not insure. The outcome was not one scratch on anything and not one thing except the beaker and attachment for the milkshake blender, seems to be missing. Even the bullion coins were still where they belonged.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
This is interesting and I certainly feel for you. It is expensive and difficult to move and then to have these troubles. I said intereting because we decided that we would go uninsured. To me, the cost of the insureance was really a several thousand dollar deductible. I then compared to what could get damaged on an individual basis, sort of spread the risk among each item. I decided that it would be worth the chance to not insure. The outcome was not one scratch on anything and not one thing except the beaker and attachment for the milkshake blender, seems to be missing. Even the bullion coins were still where they belonged.
Bit of a bugger if the container falls in the sea or the ship sinks, as we saw happen in the UK not so long ago. If that had happened to us & we were uninsured, we'd be living in a cardboard box now
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Bit of a bugger if the container falls in the sea or the ship sinks, as we saw happen in the UK not so long ago. If that had happened to us & we were uninsured, we'd be living in a cardboard box now
my sisters friend emigrated to oz ,and the sea's must have been really stormy when her container came over,most of her furniture was soaked and moldy.....had to start from scratch,the insurance paid up no probs,but god knows what she would have done without it....

its a chance you take.......you were very lucky.......jacky
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by garryhg
my sisters friend emigrated to oz ,and the sea's must have been really stormy when her container came over,most of her furniture was soaked and moldy.....had to start from scratch,the insurance paid up no probs,but god knows what she would have done without it....

its a chance you take.......you were very lucky.......jacky
sorry micky d....that quote was ment to be CAN2NZ......
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

We forgot to pay our insurance before the crate left

Everything arrived safe and sound, but it was a worrying six weeks!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose that we were lucky and I am glad of it. I think now though that to do it again I am not sure that I would have brought anything with me. However, it is hard to sell you used furniture and then there is still a need to bring things that you want such as photgraphs and special things. No matter how you cut it, it isn't cheap to move. Best to do it young when you only need a few duffle bags from the army surplus store.