Insulation

Old May 15th 2014, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insulation

Brrr it's getting cold so here's a shameless plug to all those in Chch. We got our place insulated last week, under floor and ceiling. 5 quotes all around $5000, < Righthouse > (can I put the name down mods?) have a gov't subsidy and it came in at $1100. We are on decent salaries and don't have a CS card, the grants are first come first served, open to anyone with an under insulated house build before 2000.

Last edited by BEVS; May 15th 2014 at 11:12 am. Reason: Yis. We had the conversaton Is fine and thank you for asking.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insulation

For those in or close to Dunedin I can highly recommend the insulation Ellis Fibre make here in Dunedin.

This is the website:
http://www.technobond.co.nz

It works out lots cheaper than having the government grant and having a company install it. I did our loft for $600 (we double layered it we had so much) and the underfloor is going to cost $300. Bargain.
Old May 15th 2014, 7:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Brrr it's getting cold so here's a shameless plug to all those in Chch. We got our place insulated last week, under floor and ceiling. 5 quotes all around $5000, xxxxxxxxx (can I put the name down mods?) have a gov't subsidy and it came in at $1100. We are on decent salaries and don't have a CS card, the grants are first come first served, open to anyone with an under insulated house build before 2000.
PM and sorted.

The firm is Rightmove.

Last edited by BEVS; May 15th 2014 at 11:12 am.
Old May 15th 2014, 7:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
For those in or close to Dunedin I can highly recommend the insulation Ellis Fibre make here in Dunedin.

This is the website:
http://www.technobond.co.nz

It works out lots cheaper than having the government grant and having a company install it. I did our loft for $600 (we double layered it we had so much) and the underfloor is going to cost $300. Bargain.
You bought the insulation and laid it yourself?
Old May 15th 2014, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
You bought the insulation and laid it yourself?
Yeah. It's easy. I'll be doing under the house soon too. You only need a stapler and a few rolls of insulation. Job done!!!

If there's a more economical way to get something done leave it to a Yorkshireman.
Old May 15th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

We've been insulating under the house too, we had the silver foil stuff (rubbish) and have been putting in the polystyrene sheets. Started under my bedroom of course! Cost so far about $600, helps too that I have my very own Hire a Hubby to fit it xx
Old May 15th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

So far we have done the garage roof, which was also out bedroom floor with no carpet, brrrr and one of our sons room.
I have had a quote for $3.5k to pipe into downstairs walls and supply of insulation to fit when we renovate at $2k. So mark I would be very interested to find how you applied as I've looked and can't find unless you have CS card
Thanks
Old May 15th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I rang the firm up and asked for a quote. The salesman came round, quoted the approx 5000 that everybody else did, but said his firm have a government grant for 150 homes on a first come first served basis. Have 4.1 earthwool in loft and 1.5 roll stapled to underside of floorboards. CEA trust who talk about grants on their website turned us down flat. PM me and I'll send you their name. The quote was about 1000 and another 100 to make good on the existing moisture barrier.

The week before it was fitted I went under the house and shored up a few floorboards. Crawling over the moisture barrier was most unpleasant, as unseen to the eye the original 1948 builders had left every imaginable bit of debris behind. - like being punched in the ribs repeatedly. Plus scared of spiders and tight spaces (450mm).
Old May 21st 2014, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
So mark I would be very interested to find how you applied as I've looked and can't find unless you have CS card
Thanks

It looks like it will become a lot harder to get the subsidy as somewhere lost in the small print of the budget it appears that the subsidy is being phased out.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11259127

I can't believe the numbers they talk of and wonder where they get the idea only 600,000 homes are without insulation.
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

We got a quote local to us in Invercargill. They told us we could not insulate in stages, it had to be all or nothing (we asked for cost purposes) and our quote, with the grant still came to $2500. we can't afford that so we didn't go ahead
Old May 23rd 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by M_and_M
We got a quote local to us in Invercargill. They told us we could not insulate in stages, it had to be all or nothing (we asked for cost purposes) and our quote, with the grant still came to $2500. we can't afford that so we didn't go ahead

I'd get a trailer, drive up here, spend $600 at the insulation manufacturers in Dunedin and either install it yourself of pay a handyman a days wages to pop it in. Jobs a good un. The whole Government insulation scheme is a complete rip off.