British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Installing a woodburner? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/installing-woodburner-481903/)

teambwr47 Sep 18th 2007 10:48 am

Installing a woodburner?

Anyone know whats involved exactly in putting a woodburner into a open fireplace?

The fire place currently does not function well as the chimney is not very efficient. Thought is that a woodburner may be better in the fireplace but how does it vent to the chimney ie will it stop smoke in the room concerned?. What sort of cost is a good woodburner and are there other things to sort in getting one put in so to speak............

themeggies Sep 18th 2007 10:59 am

Re: Installing a woodburner?

All new wood burners have a separate flu so I would not think a chimney would suffice .Perhaps they could put the flu in the chimney .We use a wood pellet fire and its far easier than a wood burner ,auto lighting and none of the mess cleaning out once a week only .
Cost of a wood burner varies as a fitted price ,you need to be looking at $4,000 maximum for a log burner fitted .A pellet burner possibly $5200 fitted .

Kippers Sep 18th 2007 12:17 pm

Yes, it has a steel flue that goes up the chimney and sticks out the top.
We had a Masport 4000 installed this year and it's great.
Booster fan is standard and it sure throws out the heat :)
Cost $2950 all-up fitted by a tradesman.

http://www.masportheating.com/NZ/home.htm

Kip

teambwr47 Sep 18th 2007 8:51 pm

If we were looking to do it now then THIS looks a good buy. Most likely leave until late summer and then lokk to get it sorted......

Thanks for the replies.......looks like a woodburner is the way to go as it also to my mind must be safer than an open grate.

Kippers Sep 18th 2007 9:02 pm

That's a free standing model that sits in the room. The fireplace insert models are a different design.
Metro do make insert models. We looked at one for $1800 (not fitted) but chose the Masport for it's slightly bigger fire-box and window.

Kip

teambwr47 Sep 18th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kippers (Post 5327320)
That's a free standing model that sits in the room. The fireplace insert models are a different design.
Metro do make insert models. We looked at one for $1800 (not fitted) but chose the Masport for it's slightly bigger fire-box and window.

Kip

Will need to take a closer look at the fireplace when we look at the house again as its not what i'd call a traditional, if there is such a thing, fireplace. I looked at it and thought a free standing log burner against the wall might be ideal as its an open style fireplace, sort of farm house style if you know what i mean.

Have to find out whats the best solution then cost it all up.

Kippers Sep 18th 2007 9:17 pm

Oh I see.
Yes you can use a freestanding model that sits in front of the fireplace on the hearth.
Try to find one with a flue outlet at the back of the firebox, otherwise they look a bit ugly.
You can't use a wet-back (water booster) with an insert model but you could doing it the way you suggest, so that would be an advantage.

Kip

Pete n Shell Sep 19th 2007 7:59 am

Freestanding wood burners are more efficant that inbuilt woodburners.

Dont forget to get Council Permssion before installling you may in some areas not get a clean air certificate for your fire from the council.

teambwr47 Sep 19th 2007 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5328493)
Freestanding wood burners are more efficant that inbuilt woodburners.

Dont forget to get Council Permssion before installling you may in some areas not get a clean air certificate for your fire from the council.

I'll check that if we do install one but quite how anyone would know when the house is over a mile from the main road out of view and up a track i don't know....;)

Pete n Shell Sep 19th 2007 10:17 am

Well if you dont and your house burns down the insurance company could refuse to pay out ;)

TeamEmbo Sep 19th 2007 10:25 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5328814)
I'll check that if we do install one but quite how anyone would know when the house is over a mile from the main road out of view and up a track i don't know....;)

without a permit from the council you might not be able to get anyone to install it though.

pixi-dust Sep 19th 2007 4:56 pm

we just installed a freestanding one in my mum and dads house. It was a dinky wee massport one ( pretty) and for the fire, flue kit and installation, making the hearth, tiling it and putting backing on the wall ( sort of silver corrugated iron looking stuff) it was $3000 I thought this was brilliant.
We had no permit - we're getting one retrospectively - the installer did the paperwork and we sent it off to the council and it's all fine ( for a price :)) so you can get them installed without a permit, this was all above board.

We also looked into getting an insert one for our own house - however the styles we could get were limited. So we've not gone for it. Weve been considering a gas one, our room is tiny and doesnt need a huge amount to heat it as we already have a huge wood stove in the kitchen.

pixi-dust Sep 19th 2007 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5328891)
Well if you dont and your house burns down the insurance company could refuse to pay out ;)

exactly! that's why we got one!!